Brad Penn CI-4 HD Diesel Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just joined BITOG, but have lurked on and off for years.

I've been looking for a CI-4 oil for my 2006 RAM 5.9L Cummins and ran across the Brad Penn CI-4 oil.

Here is the link to the Product Bulletin. It sounds like a great oil and I can get it from MHC Kenworth in Denver.

Brad Penn HD Select Oil

Any opinions of knowledge about this oil?

Thanks.

Most Brad Penn stuff seems awesome.

I found a local supplier, and have thought about trying their stuff.

Not sure about their additives, but their performance specs seem good.
welcome2.gif

Last edited:
Its' specs:
CI4, not CI4+
MB228.1, not 228.3 (indicating it barely meets ACEA E7, but not with enough margin to meet 228.3)
DDC 93K215, not 93K214; the latter is the spec for cooled EGR
Mack EO-M+, not EO-N Premium+03

It would be adequate for a non-EGR vehicle but only adequate.
It does have an SL rating for gasoline engines.

Charlie

Thank you. By googling some of the specs you have listed it looks like this oil is not the best for truck engines. I'll look at the John Deere Plus 50 yet, or the CAT CI4+

Frankly the appeal of Brad Penn oils baffles me. An oil company that *brags* about the source of the crude they use? Sheesh, is the refining process so primitive that the source crude really matters?!?

OK, I'm being over-the-top. But for the lack of love that some synthetic brands (eg. Royal Purple) get around here, I'd think Brad Penn would get ripped to shreds for the kind of completely unscientific advertising they use. Not to mention charging premium prices for non-synthetic (not even Grp III) products!

Well the over the counter price of a quart of their 20w50 racing oil is 4.19, so its not overpriced too much compared to VR1 or Pennzoil.

I can get their motorcycle oil for a few cents more.

Im thinking of getting a VOA done on their 0w30 oil to see if my Yota would like it.

I went back to Hill Petroleum in Denver, who I was working with to source the best CI-4+ for my application, and went with Delo 400 Multi-grade CI-4+. It comes in 5 gallon pails. Just read up on this product on the Chevron site and am very happy I went with it.

Let me know if you would like the contact info at Hill Petroleum. They will be happy to ship it to you.

BlackRam, I am presuming, from your comments, that you're wanting CI-4 oil because of it's add-pack, right? I think you'll find that CJ-4 oils perform as well as their predecessors, and there is no real reason to seek out CI-4 or CI-4+ oils.

Check out the UOA section. There is plenty of proof to this point.

Anything that meets or exceeds the OEM specs will suffice. But for most of us, we're seeing that CJ-4 does just fine, especially considering that on-road fuel is all ULSD just about everywhere in US and Canada.

Yes, Penn oil is decent oil, but not any better than all the other major brands out there. If you get it at a good price point, and or have a tight relationship with the distributor, then it would be fine to use. But I would not go out of my way to run it in an ISB; it won't outperform the big three (Delo, Delvac, Rotella) and you'll likely find them on sale somewhere.

Last edited:
I wanted to CI-4+ oil because of everything I've read about it vs. the CJ-4 in pre-2007 engines. I see what you are saying about the UOA's on CJ-4. I'm just being picky and since I can get the CI-4+ why not?

I'm using the Delo 400 Multigrade CI-4+.

I'll give you some things to ponder. It's not that I'm right and you're wrong, but more just points to mull over before your decision.

I see plenty of evidence that CJ-4 protects against wear as well as it's predecessors. Plenty of UOA evidence there. The data is stacking up every day that show CJ-4 oils can product wear rates as low as, if not better than, the preceeding products.

You do loose some TBN with CJ-4. This could have an adverse affect only if you run LSD fuel, as you'd have to keep an eye on the TBN. But since most people OCI way before oil is used up, it's a moot point. If you're running ULSD fuel (which nearly everyone is) then the lower TBN of CJ-4 means nothing in the debate.

One avenue where CJ-4 far surpasses even CI-4+ is soot control. The new DPF equipped vehicles have the most EGR and after-combustion regen cycles the market has ever known. The soot load is now higher than it's ever been. CJ-4 oils were designed for this very task. The detergent and anti-agglomerate (dispersent) package is extremely robust. Further, because of the greater use of EGR in the new vehicles, the EGT also is higher than older vehicles. The CJ-4 oils have been tailored to have more evaporation resistance; it is suspected by some of us that the base stocks have been upgraded, even in dino oils, to help combat this added heat load.

If you combine ULSD fuel (lower need for TBN) with the soot and heat control abilitiles of CJ-4, in a pre-DPF vehicle (no regen - such as your ISB), then you have the best of both worlds!

I'm not saying CI-4+ is bad stuff; quite the contrary. But CJ-4 doesn't need the TBN because there is way less sulphur. The loss of some portions of the add-pack are perceived as "bad", but in reality ULSD negates that problem. Then consider the much stronger soot control package with CJ-4, and what's not to like?

If you could get CI-4+ as some screaming deal, I'd say go for it. Otherwise, CJ-4 fluids will do just fine by your ISB.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3

Yes, Penn oil is decent oil, but not any better than all the other major brands out there.

I'm not even convinced its "decent" compared to synthetic HDEOs.

Hi 440 Magnum,
Actually, the source of the crude will have a tremendous effect on what comes out of the refinery. Pennsylvania crude was always prized for making lubicants; even in the earliest days. It has to do with the amount of sulfur, the ratio of of long and short chain HC molecules, and the percentage of wax dissolved in the crude.
I had a job as a petroleum surveyor once upon a time. Some of the crude I sampled would set up solid in the sample bottle at 0c/32f, and some wouldn't freeze at any temp encountered.
In short, yeah is does matter...some.
Happy Holidays to you and yours!!
25.gif

440 said.....I'm not even convinced its "decent" compared to synthetic HDEOs.

What facts do you base this on?

Why would you compare a dino to a synthetic?

Thanks for the info and that link Charlie!

Lots of info thats going to take some time for me to understand.

m37charlie.. if you look at the oil I linked on the 1st page it seems to me it meets those specs you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back