Oil recommendation for a 2001 Chevy Tahoe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2001 Tahoe with the 5.3 liter V8. Truck has 130k miles. The last two oil changes were done with Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30. I notice I am burning oil so I would like to try something that will cut down on oil burning.

Since I do live in a college town most of the time my drives are really short and the motor does not get up to operating temperature.

Any oil recommendations?

Try a 5W-30 or 10W-30 High-Mileage oil to start - Valvoline Maxlife is a favourite on here, but any will do.

Should I be looking at the Valvoline Conventional Max Life or the Synthetic version? Should I try the 10w-30 or try the 5w-30?

I guess my dad just did an oil change 2,000 miles ago in his 2003 Expedition with 170k miles and used the Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w-30. He says the oil consumption has stopped almost completely.

How does the Mobil 1 High Mileage compare to the Valvoline Max Life?

I used the M1 10w30HM in my chevy 1500 and it did help consumption. Use it with confidence. It is a little thicker than most 10w30's. How bad is your consumption?

Originally Posted By: jstutz
I used the M1 10w30HM in my chevy 1500 and it did help consumption. Use it with confidence. It is a little thicker than most 10w30's. How bad is your consumption?

With the PP 5w-30, the oil consumption is around half a quart every 1,750 to 2000 miles.

+1 on the M1 10W-30HM. I have a 2000 GMC Sierra with the 4.8L. It has seen a steady diet of M1 and SynPower through its life and has 265,000 miles on it. I am running GC 0W-30 this winter but plan on running M1 10W-30HM next summer. I see a slight amount of usage until the GC shears down after 2000 miles or so and then it quits going down. BTW, my mileage has increased with the GC.

Last edited:
Great to hear guys. My dad said Wal-Mart was out of the M1 HM 10-30 when he checked this past weekend. I'm driving home from school tomorrow, it's about 230 miles. I went out to the truck tonight to make sure the tire pressure and oil level was fine. Both are.

I pulled off the oil cap and looked at the inside of the oil cap. I noticed some moisture. Should I be concerned? Like I said, most of the time when I'm at school I drive very short distances where the motor doesn't get up to operating temperature.

Normal to get some water condensation w/ very short trips. Any extended run over 10 miles should clear that right out.

With your short trips, and a litte oil consumption, i think i would do 3 to 4 k changes with dino 10w30 HM. Many speak highly of valvoline HM. I believe the pennzoil HM is good stuff as well.

Maxlife is very good. But if you are getting moisture repeatedly and are consuming oil, I would do a UOA on the current oil and look for a coolant leak in the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back