Looking for a grease gun that works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: davefr
The reviews of the 1134 at Amazon are very troubling. Many users complain that the coupling locks onto the zerk way too tightly.

You can adjust the tightness(loc)on the tip by turning it. they probaby have it too tight or using a cheap tip. no issues with mine,i go through cases greasing my Backhoe and truck in the summer.

Got the 1134 also. It's a great grease gun and in 3 years of use on commercial vehicles it is still going strong. I got tired of the cheap ones that would last through a couple tubes of grease and then have something go wrong with them.

Got my 1134 in from Amazon yesterday and I have to say it looks really well made. Apparently, it is made in India and the hose made in Germany.

Originally Posted By: mikeyoilnutt
Have had great results using Alemite #550 grease guns. As a matter of fact I won't use anything else because these guns have performed the best compared to others I have tried.
mikeyoilnutt

Amen! I've used them for 30 yrs, and they work. The china mart guns I've used were junk, tough to keep prime, popped off fittings, leaked and cross-threaded on occasion.

I decided on the Alemite 555-E. It cost a little more then the Lincoln 1134 but I believe it's still made in USA. It also has a nice feature that allows the trigger to be selected for max pressure/low volume or lower pressure/high volume.

It came with a 18" hose but so does the Lincoln. Lincoln also includes a straight tube but I always prefer using a hose.

I hope it performs well over time.

I finally used the Lincoln 1134 to grease all the fittings on my truck. Wow, I'm really glad I purchased this grease gun. I figure either the 1134 or the Alemite 555-E would be good choices.

Is the Linclon 1147 any good? ~ $26.00 on Amazon.com and free shipping. My grease gun stinks!

I think it's great. I'm not the expert on grease guns, but I used my new Lincoln 1147 a few days ago for the first time and had no trouble with it. It feels like it's built like a tank. No problems with connecting the coupler that others complained about either. I was looking for a gun made in the USA, but that's becoming next to impossible to find. The 1147 I got was made in India and hose made in Germany.

For $26.20 and some tax I ordered one. I'm tired of the Plews grease guns and wrestling with them to hold prime. I'm not about to spend $50+ on a grease gun either so this was a fair compromise, I hope. Thanks for the reply!

Beyond the glitches I mentioned above, my 1147 works fine. It primes easy.....after cartridge insertion, I screw the pump end on a few turns to allow any air to escape, release the handle, screw the head on and away I go. No need to open the bleed nut for me.

As a child, I found my grandpa's grease gun in the shed and was enamored by the grease oozing out....an entire cartridge all over the bench top. My bottom end was sore that day.

I tried to cancel the order and get the pistol grip style. They already shipped the lever gun. I've always used lever guns but the pistol grip is easier especially when you're working on your back with limited space. I might just order the 1134 pistol grip and sent the 1147 lever back?????? Life is full or these tough decisions, what's a man to do?
21.gif
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Darn yankees just can't make up your minds.
grin2.gif

So true. I need help from you guys to make up my mind, too much free time is not good for me!

Well, I just finished greasing 4 u-joint spiders and 2 propeller shaft spline joints on one of the 4x4s.

The u-joints were greased with a trusty Alemite 555-E, into which I had to put a new Amsoil 2000 Racing Grease cartridge. After laoding, I pushed the priming piston exactly 2 times while holding down the air bleed button. It instantly primed, and the prime held. This gun is loaded only with lithium base, high speed grease. Up until a few years ago it was RL CV-2, but it has been Amsoil 2000 for quite a while, which I think is a great u-joint lube.

The zerks on the prop shaft splines were greased with another 555-E which holds only moly grease, the Cat Desert Gold Grease 5% MoS2. On this gun I put a ring of black duct tape around the body to signify moly only.

Anyway, both Alemite 555-E's work great.

Originally Posted By: Sylvatica
Well, I just finished greasing 4 u-joint spiders and 2 propeller shaft spline joints on one of the 4x4s.

The u-joints were greased with a trusty Alemite 555-E, into which I had to put a new Amsoil 2000 Racing Grease cartridge. After laoding, I pushed the priming piston exactly 2 times while holding down the air bleed button. It instantly primed, and the prime held. This gun is loaded only with lithium base, high speed grease. Up until a few years ago it was RL CV-2, but it has been Amsoil 2000 for quite a while, which I think is a great u-joint lube.

The zerks on the prop shaft splines were greased with another 555-E which holds only moly grease, the Cat Desert Gold Grease 5% MoS2. On this gun I put a ring of black duct tape around the body to signify moly only.

Anyway, both Alemite 555-E's work great.

Twin 555-E's and each one with boutique grease. I'm impressed!!!

Where do you get Cat grease? Is it any better then John Deere's grease?

I ordered some Schaefers 274 from salesrep. I hope it's decent grease.

Originally Posted By: davefr
Twin 555-E's and each one with boutique grease. I'm impressed!!!

Where do you get Cat grease? Is it any better then John Deere's grease?

Only the best, my good man! Only the best.

I buy the Desert Gold from my local Cat dealer, where many big yellow toys are.

Don't know about Deere grease vs. Cat grease, or vs. any other animal greases.

Originally Posted By: Sylvatica

Only the best, my good man! Only the best.

I buy the Desert Gold from my local Cat dealer, where many big yellow toys are.

Don't know about Deere grease vs. Cat grease, or vs. any other animal greases.

Schaffers #238 is 5% moly also,thats what i use in my backhoe and Trucks,great grease,stays put lasts long time....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back