Bathfitter or Rebath Cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone had this done? I hear a lot of negative stuff about both companies but then again you rarely hear when someone is happy with a product.

My tub is losing the enamel finish on the floor of tub and starting to show a little rust and the tile is...well 25 year old tile...ick

Want to be selling the place in a year and am looking for just basic tub and pain wall enclosures...nothing fancy or extravagant

Ideas on pricing for something plain white?

Or maybe better options?

Doing that is like slapping bondo over untreated rust... sure it looks good, but trouble is happily lurking beneath.

A buyer would probably want to redo in their minds eye anyway. As long as what you have is serviceable it shouldn't knock much value off. Not enough to recoup with those bathfitter guys anyway.

Look at classic restored cars where someone put 1000s of hours in, and $1000s of parts, they never get that back at sale time because the buyer wants to go in a different direction.

I dunno if the little lady will agree with that when she returns from deployment in a short time...I agree but well other halfs sometimes think differently

Any ideas on cost..we don't plan on being here forever but gotta have something better than we got now without breaking the bank

My folks looked at having Re-Bath in to cover up a pepto-bismol pink colored cast iron tub (house was built in '68).

We were able to remodel the entire bathroom for less.... and that included having a plumber install a new three piece tub/shower enclosure.

Our experience was that Re-bath was low mess, but pricey.

I have never used a Bath fitter. I have re-habbed the original bathroom twice in 30 yrs. The last time was easier because I had a bath and a half to keep the house going whilst I took the b'room out to the studs and joists. As with most of my remodeling, the job took 3X longer than anticipated going in. If you can fit it in, a 1 piece fiberglass tub/shower is the way to go.

I doubt I could fir a 1 piece in there...small bathroom with regular size door only way in

Darn...this might be bad too

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
I doubt I could fir a 1 piece in there...small bathroom with regular size door only way in

Darn...this might be bad too

Then do a three piece. It's what we had to do. Only other choice was to tear out a doorway to get a one piece in.

A three piece is not the end of the world. I even found silicone that matched the factory color perfectly.

Re-bath estimate for us was around $4k, IIRC. We did a complete remodel of the whole bathroom for less than that.

I wound up using a 3 piece unit for the sme reason you did. It was the only thing that I could get into the b'room. It is small compared to to the steel tub it replaced. If I had it to do over, I would have gone with a new steel tub with some sorta plastic surround or tile, which has its own problems.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Goose-

Anything new on the water heater issue?

Nothing yet.....I am convinced that the design of the Kenmore aka AO Smith water heater is not a good fit for my situation...it gets its secondary air through a small grill on the bottom of the tank...I don't think it is getting enough air to burn properly as sometimes the flame is a lazy yellow orange other times a lazy blue

I am going to see about going with a Bradford White...it seems to have a "better" air intake system if you will for proper combustion...maybe I am chasing a ghost here too.....but the bad smell I am getting is not good

I'm hoping Sears will refund my money ot at least some of it

10K for Re-Bath?????? Omg my wife is gonna have a fit We were thinking may a little over a thousand...i mean really if they can do it in a day what is so difficult????

Originally Posted By: andyd
I wound up using a 3 piece unit for the sme reason you did. It was the only thing that I could get into the b'room. It is small compared to to the steel tub it replaced. If I had it to do over, I would have gone with a new steel tub with some sorta plastic surround or tile, which has its own problems.

Agreed, at times it may not be optimal, but it beats tearing out a doorway or taking out a wall to get it in.

As a Realtor my advice is to stay away from "bath fitter" type products, unless you have a true lower price entry level property- potential buyers seem to have issues when they see them in anything but.

I've put in two baths this last year, both times it was an 'almost' basic Acrylic Tub, tile backer walls and tile.
Total price for each was $1,200-$1,300 inc labour.

Originally Posted By: expat
I've put in two baths this last year, both times it was an 'almost' basic Acrylic Tub, tile backer walls and tile.

Are you saying you did the work for someone or had it done to your home?

Did you have the old tub removed or just a fit over? Did a local shop do it?

Sorry for all the questions but that price is more what I am looking for

Goose

Is there a way to refinish the existing tub? The tub, to me, would be the more difficult part. You can remove and lay tile yourself if you go slow and practice. Fixtures aren't that bad either.

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
Originally Posted By: expat

Are you saying you did the work for someone or had it done to your home?

Did you have the old tub removed or just a fit over? Did a local shop do it?

Sorry for all the questions but that price is more what I am looking for

Goose

I did the job and charged an hourly rate (20 hours). It was a new tub, not a fit-over. The floor needed slight repair under the old tub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back