Can't see synthetic oil smoke???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this posted on a truck forum.....I had not heard this one before.

Oh synthetic oil smoke is clear you can't see it. Not white like conventional oil. Alot of used car lots puts synthetic oil in cars that smoke to hide it so they can sell it.

Last edited:
I doubt so ... That smoke is clear .. maybe its less visible .. burns cleaner but is definitively not clear...

Somebody's been telling you porkies. Oil smoke has a blue tint to it, it's not white. I've run synthetics in engines burning oil, and it makes no difference at all...it still smokes and consumes the oil.

Originally Posted By: endeavor to persevere

Oh synthetic oil smoke is clear you can't see it. Not white like conventional oil.

Conventional oil burns blue, not white. That's the first clue that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Hi,
anybody that has a Porsche F6 will attest to the fact that the "white" (usually light blue) smoke is visible from time to time - with all types of synthetic lubricants. Start up smoke from time to time is common on these engines

Last edited:
Oh, synthetic burns blue just like dino.

Here's some 5W30 Q-Torquepower gettn' burned after my roll in Moab,UT.

3moab8.jpg

You think I'd fail a smog test?
crackmeup2.gif

IMG_1042.jpg

It burned forever until I blasted the TB and intake with a can of Gumout.

3moab9.jpg

Quote:
Oh synthetic oil smoke is clear you can't see it. Not white like conventional oil. Alot of used car lots puts synthetic oil in cars that smoke to hide it so they can sell it.

He got the internet rhetoric wrong.

"Since synthetic molecules are much more uniform, the smoke will have a particular hue upon combustion. Not the broadly varying tones and hues you can get from that conventional stuff ..it's all over the visual spectrum when in the combustion state"

Wouldn't that have sounded much more authoritative?

He could have even added a bit more to really sink the validity home.

"in fact the DEA is now using oil smoke signature markers that are added to suspect vehicles without them knowing it so that they can be tracked by their " opacity color signature".

Since synthetic oil is much more heat resistant do you think it's not heating up enough to smoke. makes me wonder about the amsoil sales guy that came to me trying to show me that the trans fluid doesn't burn until 50 degrees hotter the Conventional. These guys are like Vaccuum salesman!!

Mr. Allen,
You're not supposed to tell anyone about the signature markers, the DEA went to great lengths to keep this quiet. But some of the signatures are domestic terrorist yellow, foreign terrorist purple, double agent orange. I hear they are working a a paisley and plaid marker, but just can't get it right. And if anyone needs an optical signature scanner, I'm sure I could provide one for a large sum of money and I'll even throw in a bridge with it.

Originally Posted By: marco246
Yo, Gary,

You got too much time on your hands, Bubba. Snowed in?

Sorta. Wife is in FL taking FIL to new home near his son/her brother/my BIL. My loving antagonist is missing and I am ..alone
shocked2.gif
frown.gif

..but if I saw that type of post ..I would have followed up with just that ..and tried my best to keep a straight posting face.

Quote:
Since synthetic oil is much more heat resistant do you think it's not heating up enough to smoke. makes me wonder about the amsoil sales guy that came to me trying to show me that the trans fluid doesn't burn until 50 degrees hotter the Conventional.

I don't know about the 50F part, but he's right. It will take longer (at higher temps) to fatigue a synthetic than a conventional ATF to the point of volatilizing. When stuck in a snow bank and you're spinning your FWD trans up, it will take longer to grind a hole in the case.

..but as vacuums go ..always remember that 90% of all wear occurs at start up.

The bottom line is that while a synthetic may produce less smoke in any given application due to various reasons, when it burns ..it smokes.

Originally Posted By: endeavor to persevere
I saw this posted on a truck forum.....I had not heard this one before.

That would be correct. Convention oil molecules, no matter how well refined, are still contaminated with impurities. It's the impurities that cause the additional wear over synthetic oils, and it's the impurities that cause the white smoke when conventional oil is burned.

Since synthetic molecules are manufactured in a sterile, man made environment they don't have the impurities that conventional oils do. This is the reason why synthetics show so little wear and why the smoke is clear.

And if you believe that I also have some lovely ocean front property in Nebraska that might interest you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back