Anyone have the guts to try..........0W-20!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sid

Just curious. I had Mobil1 0W-20 in my 2000 Ford Focus at one point. I've also had 5W-20 and 5W-30 and I felt no difference between any of them. no increased gas mileage. Actually the 0W-20 might have felt a BIT smoother. All Motorcraft filters too. I was also running the 0W-20 during summer. That'd probably drive a few people off.

I've been using it my Honda for 2 years. What is the big deal?
dunno.gif

Why would it take guts? I wouldn't hesitate to put a good 0W-20 in my 250 HP V6 dragging our 4000 lb van around. Am I missing something?

XW-20's are putting up some great UOA numbers.

I use M1 0w-20 in my girlfriend's 2004 Focus year round in Arizona with no problems. I'm down to 9qts, so I'm going to have to switch to something else soon-probably M1 5w-20.

If I had unlimited funds, 0w20 M1 would be my oil of choice all year in my Ranger. But since I got a stash of Motorcraft 5w20 for $1.58/qt, that's what I use.

I was just joking since I seem to see a lot of people concerned about 5W-20 putting extra wear on their engine parts let alone using 0W-20 and people worried about using a thinner oil like in the summer and so on. As I said, I've used it and felt little to no difference so I just stick with 5W-20. Was just curious. Do they still make 0W-20? I didn't see it on Mobil1's website.

And you're right I should've done a search on used oil analysis. Totally forgot about that.

Why would you think a 0W-20 automatically would be thinner than a 5W-20 in "summer and so on"? Maybe that's why you got a few brusk answers. A 0W-20 could be constructed to have an almost SAE 30 vis at 100°C, and certainly higher vis than a given nominal 5W-20 at 100°C.
smile.gif

I see your point, the average joe probably would be scared of 0W-20.

A year ago, any xw-20 was "too thin". Heck, I thought a 5w-30 was too thin for Houston heat.
I now understand better what oil viscosity means and that an engine designed for xw-20 oil works fine.

quote:

Why would you think a 0W-20 automatically would be thinner than a 5W-20 in "summer and so on"? Maybe that's why you got a few brusk answers. A 0W-20 could be constructed to have an almost SAE 30 vis at 100°C, and certainly higher vis than a given nominal 5W-20 at 100°C.

That I did not know actually. I thought 0W-20 would just generally be at a thinner viscosity all the time compared to other higher weights. Wait....is it a lower viscosity at cold weather only? To me, I would look at spec sheets for 0W-20 and think to myself "if the oil seems to pour points and flash points that are equal or better than other weight then I really don't care at what temp I use it because it's made to endure it". So I guess my notion of this stuff was as wrong as everyone else. So I never understood the fear of it.

hey man, I'm down for blue oil!!

20's of today are incomparable to 20's of the past. The base oils are of significantly higher quality in this, the next gen of motor oil. Theyre probably thinking, "wow, we can get away with much lighter viscosities now which bring benefits of their own."

In the case of the 0w-20, "judge the oil by its performance, not by its grade"

I used to buy 0W-20 from Murray store in Chicago and used it on my Civic 2004 VP. Now, I couldn't find it anymore. Nothing wrong with the engine except lots of noise. I read from the honda Japan website that they also recommended 0w-20 for Civic in Japan. Maybe, due to the cold climate.

Story about 0W-20 at Autozone before I bought at Murray. I found 0W-20 in the clearance box mixed with 15W-40. It is said $1 each. Without hesitation, I grabbed all 4 quarts left in the box and rush to the cashier. Unfortunately, the system didn't recognize the barcode. So, I asked the sale rep "why the price did not show up?" So he asked his friend about the 0W-20 and another told me that MOBIL just recall 0W-20 back and he couldn't sell them to me. What the !!??

I used it last winter. I could say the car warmed up very very fast. I love it and waiting for the AMSOIL one if possible. EI EI Anyway, only complain is about the louder noise from the engine. That's all..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back