Some Filtration Comparisons from the Bench

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
You rightly point out that the PL14610 is the old-style blue can that is no longer available. Do we know that nothing but the color of the can has changed since they moved to the grippy yellow can?

There has been some talk that the yellow PureONEs seem to flow better than the old blue PureONEs. The yellow PureONEs have a different media than the old blue ones.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
By looking at the photos, it looks like the NAPA Gold 1334 has less pleats (but says 101 sq in)

It does have less pleats, but they are 40% deeper. The center tube is smaller and allows deeper pleats on the NG.
You rightly point out that the PL14610 is the old-style blue can that is no longer available. Do we know that nothing but the color of the can has changed since they moved to the grippy yellow can?

Different media.
The new PureONE media passes fluid much easier and also manages to have a slightly higher SAE efficiency than the old media. More synthetic and less cellulose in the blend now is my guess as to how they achieved this.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
By looking at the photos, it looks like the NAPA Gold 1334 has less pleats (but says 101 sq in)

It does have less pleats, but they are 40% deeper. The center tube is smaller and allows deeper pleats on the NG.

I thought that might be the case after I had asked the question. Makes sense it's due to deeper pleats.

Different media.
The new PureONE media passes fluid much easier and also manages to have a slightly higher SAE efficiency than the old media. More synthetic and less cellulose in the blend now is my guess as to how they achieved this.

So what "flow score" do you estimate that PureONE PL14610 would have had if it was the new yellow version?

Very interesting pics! Especially interesting was the HAMP vs. the OEM Honda. It seems as though the OEM Honda is a better buy... slightly more media, looks to be identical construction, similar media and has a silicon ADBV and it costs half the price! Thanks for taking the time to show all the flow test results and pics, can't wait to see the results of the filtration test
grin2.gif

So what "flow score" do you estimate that PureONE PL14610 would have had if it was the new yellow version?
About a 1.9 to 2.
Look at the large new P1 vs the small old P1 scores. The large manages 1.6 over a 1.0 for the smaller, with only about 84% of the media surface area.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
It seems as though the OEM Honda is a better buy... slightly more media, looks to be identical construction, similar media and has a silicon ADBV and it costs half the price!

These look almost like Denso clones. The Hamp media appears to be smoother texture, and may be better...we'll have an idea in a day or two. But both little filters had tons of media and showed excellent flow. Having cut some open, I would not fear using one of these new-style little guys on my wife's Integra instead of the NG 1334 I am using now--so thanks for the opportunity to check these out.

My camera is acting up and I haven't sent it in for repair yet so I couldn't get close-ups of the medias and didn't get out the little pen microscope to have a looksee. The filtrate should tell us which is more porous though.

BTW, I got my little 50X pocket microscope/ 10X telescope at Edmund Scientific online. For $8.95, they are excellent inspection devices.

I've ran one of the OEM Honda A01's back in 2007 with very good results and I wouldn't hesitate to use it again. My UOA came back with very low insolubles and everything seemed just fine. I still have 3 more of them.
55.gif

I always heard that Honda OEMs were Frams, but obviously these are not. Might as well keep using them.

This pertains mostly to questions I have gotten about the Toyota Densos not filtering as well as an average American filter (but flow is very good)...I want to say that as much as I like the peace of mind of a good, efficient filter to minimize long term wear, the original VW Beetles had no filter at all.
Back in those days, when well maintained engines lasted 100,000 miles--if you were lucky--The Beetle engines lasted just as long as those with filters. The difference was that many Beetle owners changed the oil at 1500 to 2000 miles rather than 3000, to get rid of the junk.
Early studies by Ford show that oil filtration reduces overall engine wear, but any filter is a good thing, and those without filters mostly just needed more frequent oil changes.

I always heard that Honda OEMs were Frams, but obviously these are not. Might as well keep using them.

This pertains mostly to questions I have gotten about the Toyota Densos not filtering as well as an average American filter (but flow is very good)...I want to say that as much as I like the peace of mind of a good, efficient filter to minimize long term wear, the original VW Beetles had no filter at all.
Back in those days, when well maintained engines lasted 100,000 miles--if you were lucky--The Beetle engines lasted just as long as those with filters. The difference was that many Beetle owners changed the oil at 1500 to 2000 miles rather than 3000, to get rid of the junk.
Early studies by Ford show that oil filtration reduces overall engine wear, but any filter is a good thing, and those without filters mostly just needed more frequent oil changes.

The A01s are older filters before the A02's came out. The A02's are the ones made by Honeywell and are currently sold at most Honda/Acura dealerships. Some places still carry the A01's, but they're tougher to come by. You mostly have to order them online.

Ah.

I noticed I made a typo on the large Proline media:

Edit: Large Proline media is ~70 sq in (not 80)

Test 1: Left to Right; small P1 (PureOne), large Purolator, large P1, large NG (Napa Gold), large Proline, small Fram TG, Honda, small Fram XG, small Proline, Hamp
test1LtoR-sP1lPurolP1lNGlProsTGsHon.jpg

Test 2: Left to Right: Honda, Hamp, small Proline, small P1, small TG, small XG-----large P1, large Purolator, large Proline, large NG
Test2LtoR-sHonsHAMPsProsP1sTGsXG-lg.jpg

Again:
Honda OES 7B10(?) –Media 131 sq in, medium/course (element flow score 2.8)
Hamp H1540-PLC-505 –Media 126 sq in, fine (element flow score 2.8)
Proline PPL14610 –Media 90 sq in, fine (element flow score 3.5)
PureONE PL14610 (old style with blue can) —Media 100 sq in, very fine (element flow score 1.0)
Fram XG7317—Media 58 sq in, course and very thick (element flow score 1.1)
Fram TG7317 –Media 115 sq in, fine (element flow score 1.6)

These are the traditional larger sized:
Purolator L14459 –Media 83 sq in, fine (element flow score 3.2)
PureONE PL14459 (new style yellow) –Media 84 sq in, very fine (element flow score 1.6)
Proline PPL14459 –Media 70 sq in, fine (element flow score 3.2)
NAPA Gold 1334 –Media 101 sq in, medium/fine (element flow score 2.0)

I put the PureOnes at the best filtration both small and large sizes.

1st place: PureONE small and large

2nd place: about a tie for large Purolator Classic, large Proline, large NAPA Gold, and the small Fram TG and XGs

3rd place: small Proline (I think the large Proline has regular Purolator media, the small one may be a cheaper version - not quite as good, IMO)

4th place: Honda and Hamp about equal

It's easier to see these in person where you can roll them around in the light.
Sorry my camera focus is messed up. These are the best 2 pictures of 5 or 6 taken.

Wow, very interesting. I was always under the impression that the Honda A01s were excellent in terms of filtration because of the "Filtech" fuzzy-ish media. I wasn't expecting the Napa Gold to perform as well due to the lower beta ratios when compared to the PureONE. The difference between the small and large ProLine is pretty substantial... all very interesting. Thanks!

Japanese filters are sieves in my (admittedly limited) experience--Same with Denso.

I suspect Filtech makes excellent quality media--to order.
If the filter manufacturer specifies 80% efficient, they provide top notch 80% media.
thumbsup2.gif

NG/Wix...I pretty much ignore their (probably) outdated published betas.
The media looks to be in the efficiency range of a Purolator Classic/K&N/Mobil 1 class in every test, time after time. (with the exception of some media leak-by inconsistant results with three I had)
Also, looking at the media through the microscope, and measuring thickness, it looks very good and in-line with the filtrate results.
They are good filters.

Next up, labman's STP, Purolator white cans, old and new.
Then I'm done for a while. Yippee!

Japanese filters are sieves in my (admittedly limited) experience--Same with Denso.

I suspect Filtech makes excellent quality media--to order.
If the filter manufacturer specifies 80% efficient, they provide top notch 80% media.
thumbsup2.gif

NG/Wix...I pretty much ignore their (probably) outdated published betas.
The media looks to be in the efficiency range of a Purolator Classic/K&N/Mobil 1 class in every test, time after time. (with the exception of some media leak-by inconsistant results with three I had)
Also, looking at the media through the microscope, and measuring thickness, it looks very good and in-line with the filtrate results.
They are good filters.

cheers3.gif
Thanks again!

Wix=PuroClassic=K&N=M1. The K&N and M1 being the same is not a surprise of course. But the other two being in that group does surprise me.

Or put another way (more directly) Champ, even in their high end labels, does not have anything to compete with the P1 at least media wise.

Excellent work by the way. I'm sure everyone appreciates it.

Thanks for great works.

The Proline case looks cheap but it performs very well under your test conditions, specially the larger one.

Now, I feel confidence to use the 4 Proline filters I got for free after rebate in my '94 LS400.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back