maxima maxum4 ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone hear ever used maxima maxum4 ultra 5w-50? any test done? any problems?

bike is a 2001 aprilia sl1000 falco(a slightly more comfortable mille rsv-same engine,for those that don't know)

it still has what i consider low miles and i live in south florida.the manual recommends api sg in 15w-50.

a little history:the bike came from the dealer with agip 10w-40.as soon as i got it,i changed the oil to motul 300v factory line 15w-50.i instantly notice the engine got "tighter" and "quieter" and felt a very slight performance drop.(of course)

my interest in this particular oil(maxima)is to restore the awesome "looser" feeling but still have a stronger film strength and ht/hs than a 10w-40 and better cooling than a 15w-50(no heat problems though).

eventually,i'll switch to 15w-50 down the road with much higher mileage.

here's what i know(or think i know)about the ultra4.it's ester based(polyol blended)with about 16% pao for seal swell(according to the guy at maxima)and is packed with an exceptional addative package.in particular,it's zinc and phosphorous seems higher than even the better motorcycle specific oils out there.(this part was proven from an independent study)(they have a extra4 which seems to have even more)

so,anybody out ther use this?

by the way,while most aprilia owners stick with 15w-50,lots of them use 10w-40 with no apparent negative effects.also,this may be a v-twin,but it's NOT an air-cooled one,like a harley.it's a twin built by rotax(with aprilias' input)with which they won WSB.

all opinions are welcome.

This is probably the finest motorcycle oil on the planet. It is way over the top on it's additive package. No Group III basestocks in Maxima Ultra either. The only downside is it usually sells for about $14-18 per quart. You could probably use Maxima Extra 15w-50 which is still Group V and IV basestock and much the same additive package and I buy it for about $11 per quart online.

you can get the ultra for $11.81 and extra for $10.95 at onoffroad.com or less if you buy more.i order it for $13 at a small shop 4 blocks from me just to support them since i order other parts from them. between +tax local or +shipping online,it's only about $5 more for 5Ls.

I run the maxima maxum4 ultra 5w-50 oil in my 08 gixxer 750.

I started using the oil based on Sunruh advice.

It is by far the best oil I have run to date and I have run most top tier brands both synthetic and dino.

Even after many street miles and a weekend at the track the oil is still the best I have ever used.

If you look around you can find deals on it.

Originally Posted By: ZGRider
This is probably the finest motorcycle oil on the planet. It is way over the top on it's additive package. No Group III basestocks in Maxima Ultra either. The only downside is it usually sells for about $14-18 per quart. You could probably use Maxima Extra 15w-50 which is still Group V and IV basestock and much the same additive package and I buy it for about $11 per quart online.

+1
thumbsup2.gif
. I had an oil analysis done on an 02 K1200LT with 17k miles, and it came back outstanding. Wish I could find it and post it here, but I lost it in a move. I could have taken that oil past 20k no doubt. It's right up there with Amsoil in my book (as far as exteneded OCI's go). If there was no Amsoil, Maxima would be my motorcycle oil. I used some 10w40 in an '02 Audi A4 1.8t, awesome analysis after 15k.

I sold my 2001 mille earlier this year. I put 45k miles on it using rotella 5w-40

it's thinner than the 15-50 listed in the manual but I figure it has an oil cooler.

no issues at all. engine consumed less than a liter per 5k miles. it'll probably burn less if I used a thicker grade.

maxima makes good products too.

Originally Posted By: fast4d
I sold my 2001 mille earlier this year. I put 45k miles on it using rotella 5w-40

it's thinner than the 15-50 listed in the manual but I figure it has an oil cooler.

no issues at all. engine consumed less than a liter per 5k miles. it'll probably burn less if I used a thicker grade.

Using a litre in 5000 miles is heavy consumption in my opinion. Was that in a Harley?

I run Rotella 15W40 an usually do 3000 mile oil changes on my '06 KLR650 and 5000 oci on my '03 Valkyrie with zero oil consumption.

Originally Posted By: fast4d

That is like saying that "Ferrari makes good cars too." Are you kidding me? Pennzoil is good oil, Maxima is way freakin' awesome oil.

um, yeah.
it really handled everything the mixmaster of doom threw at it and pretty much laughed.

susvis of 86.4 WITH 1.0% fuel

considering that m1 15w50 (the vaunted red cap) was 71.9 with
only VR1 sae50 has produced a better susvis.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
um, yeah.
it really handled everything the mixmaster of doom threw at it and pretty much laughed.

susvis of 86.4 WITH 1.0% fuel

considering that m1 15w50 (the vaunted red cap) was 71.9 with
only VR1 sae50 has produced a better susvis.

VR1 by Valvoline? how about Valvoline VV855 Racing Synthetic 20W50 NOT STREET LEGAL? Any feedback on this oil?

Last edited:
Product Features
Designed for high performance race engines
Helps increase horsepower through advance friction modifier balanced with reduced detergent levels
Contains increased amounts of zinc for extra engine protection
Not for use in wet clutch applications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back