Valvoline VV855 0W50 NOT STREET LEGAL Feedback?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who used this oil for scooter? It looks good. But I'm kinda worried about that "not street legal" catch phrase. It's like it's going to damage my catalytic converter or something

My guess is that it doesn't meet the API energy conserving requirements for oil so they say it is "not street legal".

My guess is there is no starburst on the bottle.

I think the not street legal is more of a eye catching thing for "performance minded" drivers than the actual truth.

Originally Posted By: Antigen
Yup. The Kymco super 8 has a double catalytic converter inside the pipe.

So does my Honda Metropolitan. A Cat on a 49cc engine - talk about overkill!
33.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: af0h
Yup. The Kymco super 8 has a double catalytic converter inside the pipe.

So does my Honda Metropolitan. A Cat on a 49cc engine - talk about overkill!
33.gif

My 2-stroke Husky weedeater has a cat built into the silencer!!

Anyone who used this oil for scooter? It looks good. But I'm kinda worried about that "not street legal" catch phrase. It's like it's going to damage my catalytic converter or something

That's been a Valvoline thing for quite a while. They used to carry that on the VR-1 20W50 race oil as well but I have not seen that in a while, just the normal VR-1 20W50 without the not street legal comment. Some thought it is mostly marketing. If it's not street legal it must be good right? If it is a true race oil with associated additive package I would look real close at the detergent levels for example. Real race oils cut back on that as it will be a track day and dump type oil. Not good for long OCI street usage. If you're a Valvoline guy seeking a 50 for a bike I would look at the VR-1 and the JASO cert'd MC oil (4 stroke Vtwin I think is what they call it). Otherwise (non Valvoline) there are many options in a 50, dino, Grp III syn, PAO & Esters. And a wide range of prices to go with them.

Your cat(s) of course could be damaged by high ZDDP but I'm not sure that it will cause a problem as long as it doesn't cause a plugging type failure. Not sure ;what the ZDDP failure mode is as I've never seen it. I think it is just a degradation in effectiveness. Not getting an emissions test on a scooter right?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JustinH
My guess is that it doesn't meet the API energy conserving requirements for oil so they say it is "not street legal".

My guess is there is no starburst on the bottle.

I think the not street legal is more of a eye catching thing for "performance minded" drivers than the actual truth.

LOL, Ive been there when I was 17 with my Z28.

Not street legal = some good stuff, no?
ah yes, pour in power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back