Oils that were effected by Katrina?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which oils were effected by Katrina? Is it just M1 and Castrol?

How can you tell if you have pre or post Katrina oil?

I'm thinking about running sythetic at the 1k mark. Should I look at another synthetic besides M1 then change to M1 when their original additive package returns?

none of the dino's were effected where they?
None of them lost the API cert, I noticed.
ONly the M1 lost the API symbol for a while.
Has anyone else noticed that too?

Havoline was affected? I NEVER saw one bottle since Katrina to lose it's API cert. At least, no Havline was affectred in my area.
I don't think any dino's in my area were affected. The only strange thing that did happen was that Valvoline All Climate went down to 1.39/qt a one of the Walmarts in my town. The Walmart on the other side of town still sells it for 2.13/qt. I'm amazed at how screwed up the pricing differences are from one Walmart to the next. Sorry to get off topic, but, I've yet to see an dino be affected by Katrina. Only Mobil 1

Should I avoid post Katrina M1?

Would it hurt for just one OCI?

Only back-to-back UOAs (pre-Katrina/post Katrina) would be the only way to know.

I do know that if I needed another M-1 oil change before this summer, I would opt for Amsoil ASL instead. I'm not saying the new formula is better or worse -- I'm just saying that I won't purchase it until my viscosity choice returns to normal label qualifications of pre-Katrina.

quote:

Castrol Syntec 0w-30 wasn't affected since it's being shipped from Germany.

quote:

Should I look at another synthetic besides M1 then change to M1 when their original additive package returns?

There is plenty of comparable or maybe even better synthetics out there, often at cheaper prices.

Differntiating on the containers whether there were any changes was purely voluntary for the blenders. Given that additive formulators were very hard pressed to supply product to the blenders, and likewise for Group II, Group III, and Group IV base stock providers, it'd be more economical to speculate on which blenders didn't change their formulations than those which did. Chill people, 1> you're not going to destroy your engines with the reformulated blends - even with several years' continuous use. Things should be back on track by this spring, and 2> the post-Katrina/Katy motor oils are very well formulated, but not with the exact ingredients that had been submitted to the API during the SM certification process.

quote:

quote:

Castrol Syntec 0w-30 wasn't affected since it's being shipped from Germany.

I believe the only way Castrol was a effected was a bottle change becuase there bottleing plant was damaged.

A recent post told of a Havoline rep on the phone saying that the oil's constituency was downgraded temporarily [as were other brand oils].
I bought 5 jugs of pre Katrina Havoline 5-30 the next day.
I wonder when things will be back to normal, however.

I went in to AZ and asked the counter guy what the deal was with M1 and no API cert, he looked at the bottle with me and told me they were just changing the packaging, and that it was still cerified. I dont know?

Honestly, my opinion (at least for Mobil 1) is that the absence of the API cert is of little consequence. Exxon-Mobil is a responsible company and I can hardly imagine they changed something that would negatively influnce the many thousands of engines which have M1 products in use. A company like that would sooner discontinue the product than risk many costly lawsuits over a poor product.

Besides, weren't there new oil analysis reports posted that showed things to be virtually the same between pre- and post-Katrina M1 oil?

I dunno, maybe my faith in the largest oil company is unfounded but it's my opinion.

I've been using SJ Mobil 1 5w30 in my 2005 Ion since October. I bought the oil on clearance at W-Mart in 2000! I bought 5 of the 15w50 5qt jugs for my 5000t, and picked up a couple of the 5w30 for our Japaneese cars,all $9/ea!

The Ion has not blown up. The O2 sensor is fine. It is not leaking oil. It has not consumed any oil.

I might be a crazy man when it comes to API and oil, but I just wanted to throw in my 'Pre-Katrina' oil story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back