What oil to use in winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1995 Volvo 850 (non turbo) and there's a pamphlet that came with the car that says use 5w30 in the winter and 10w30 in the summer, on my previous oil change in September I used 5w30. From what I was told by my father, 5w30 is a thinner oil. Well today I went to buy oil because I am due for another oil change and the person at Advance Auto Parts told me that 10w30 is thinner than 5w30 and he said I should use 10w30. My friend also says 10w30 is thinner. The weather here in NY is 30 degrees right now, if that helps?

Hi there,

5W-30 is in the same viscosity range as a 10W-30 at operating temperature, depending on the brand of course. In some cases, it is more viscous than a comparable 10W-30 until it warms up. The number before the W is simply a winter rating, IIRC applicable to a test in temps well below zero (someone correct me on this because I know I'm vague on the way a W rating is calculated).

5W-30 or 5W-40. I'm running synthetic 5W-40 in the same engine, it turns over like a sewing machine at 12°F.

Doofus at counter = person never to trust

A 5W-30 may have a higher viscosity than a 10W-30 at 100° . The reverse may be true as well! But a 5W will need to meet a lower temp criteria than a 10W.

it's doofus's at the auto parts stores that give us parts guys who know what we're talking about a bad reputation.

I went to an Kragen in santee, CA And the "counter help", when asked if they had rotella t6 5-40 or 0-40, said that rotella is (expletive), and that delo 300 is way better, it leaves less junk in his filter than delvac 1!.

I ran home and cried.

listen to Dad and use the 5w30 that oil is thinner and flows better when cold...
My Dad was always rite also but he was around all kind of engines from aircraft engines in the army to heavy equiptment to cars,lawnmowers you name it...

Ah they have Bozo's working at the auto parts stores in Ca. also...
I had one today at a parts store we dont use much at all that said using a/c spark plugs would burn my valves i asked him how he knew that and he said years of experience behind the counter.... I said i disagree and he said well when i need a new motor i can come there and he will be glad to help me... I responded help me how? And he said he has a friend that rebuilds motors at a great engine shop i asked him who and when he told me his name i said i know him and he is great, when he asked me how i knew him i told him he worked at my engine shop for about 8 years..When he found out who i was he asked me about a/c plugs and i said they are good i am using them in my car his next comment was he was going to use them in his Chevy s-10
Some of those parts guys are fantastic others are Bozo's just like any other profession

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Ah they have Bozo's working at the auto parts stores in Ca. also...
I had one today at a parts store we dont use much at all that said using a/c spark plugs would burn my valves i asked him how he knew that and he said years of experience behind the counter.... I said i disagree and he said well when i need a new motor i can come there and he will be glad to help me... I responded help me how? And he said he has a friend that rebuilds motors at a great engine shop i asked him who and when he told me his name i said i know him and he is great, when he asked me how i knew him i told him he worked at my engine shop for about 8 years..When he found out who i was he asked me about a/c plugs and i said they are good i am using them in my car his next comment was he was going to use them in his Chevy s-10
Some of those parts guys are fantastic others are Bozo's just like any other profession

ROFL! That's beautiful...

"They suck! They'll destroy your engine! Hey, I think I'll give 'em a try..."

Guys spend days trying to write jokes like that.

Originally Posted By: DragRace
Use 5w30 for the winter.

Those guys that work behind the counter,dont always know their heads from their arses either.

10-4 on that, i work with some people like that.

It just occurred to me that if I am going to cough up for Mobil 1, maybe I should think about 0W-30 rather than the 5W-30 dino I have used for years. The manual for my truck says use 10W-30 year around, but it was written over 30 years ago.

omegaman -
Here are the basics:
Multigrade oils are rated for 0 degF and 212 degF.
A 5 as the first number indicates it BEHAVES like a 5 at 0.
And the second number, 30, shows it BEHAVES like a 30 at 212.
So a 10 first number is thicker when cold than the 5.
This is never a good idea, even at intermediate temperatures, when starting.
Use a 5-30 .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back