Is Break-in Oil a myth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fact up through the 1960's, I think. Break-in oil was simply a very light weight oil that provided minimal lubrication to ensure "high spots" between moving parts got knocked down (proving that thicker oil does lubricate better than thinner oil - within reason, of course). Engine tolerances and manufacturing techniques have rendered the practice unnecessary except for the removal of assembly contaminants from inside the engine.

Regards, Gary in Sandy Eggo

Honda uses a "break-in" oil of sorts. I'm not sure of the formulation but customers are advised not to change out the factory oil for 5000 miles.

True for Honda. It is NOT the typical "motor oil" you drain out after 3-5,000 miles. It is quite obvious it ain't the stuff you buy at Autozone.

I did not leave it in for 5,000 miles, either. Sorry, but there is no way I can do that on a new engine, even a Honda.

I will say this-

I bought a "demo" Chevrolet Silverado with the 5.3L in August of 2000 that had 5,000 miles on it and the oil had never been changed. I made the stealership change it and I drove it another 1,000 miles and changed it again. I changed it every 3-4k miles during the 100k miles I had it and never had a problem.

quote:

I changed it every 3-4k miles during the 100k miles I had it and never had a problem.

And you could change it every 5-7.5K miles and still get to the 100K miles without any problem.
dunno.gif

quote:

True for Honda. It is NOT the typical "motor oil" you drain out after 3-5,000 miles. It is quite obvious it ain't the stuff you buy at Autozone.

I did not leave it in for 5,000 miles, either. Sorry, but there is no way I can do that on a new engine, even a Honda.

I am not so sure about this. A couple of years ago I picked up a certified Civic Si with 3145 miles on it ... from a Honda dealership. They had changed the oil.

Why would they do this if the original oil is to be left in until 5000?

J

all Honda does it add a lot of moly to their engine oil, but the majority of break in is completed within the first 20-100 miles, and by 600 miles it is surely all done. I see no reason why it needs to be kept for 5000, 1000 miles is the most I would keep it in there.

From a UOA standpoint, the tests have never identified/verfied the so called "break in oil."

Now most folks know that engine assembly calls for/specifies assembly lube (around the camshaft most notably.) Assembly lube is also available off the counter. So whatever the oem uses is DEFINITELY in the so called "break in oil"

My most recent "break in" was on a 2004 Honda Civic VP which now is approaching 23,000 miles. In accordance with the owners manual, web site and shop manual data's, I ran the NORMAL recommended 10,000 mile OCI. This practice/OCI is not only specified, but complies fully with warranty requirements, if engine work due to oil failure is needed. (remote at best) Or shall I say you have a better chance at winning the 100 m lottery than have needed warranty work due to oil.

Further the recommendation is for every other oil change to change the oil filter. So that was at 20,000 miles.

VW states that the oil can be changed in all their engines before 5k with one exception- it is not to be changed in the W8 before 5k. It comes stock with a 0w-30.

Another thing too, many automakers now run new engines on a dyno prior to being installed in the automobile. This generally breaks in the engine and by the time you get it, there is no more breaking-in to do.

quote:

many automakers now run new engines on a dyno prior to being installed in the automobile

Then how come so many new engines continue to use oil up to the 2K mark?

[ January 08, 2006, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: vad ]

Q2bruiser,

I was saying that I felt that there was some sort of special break-in oil from the factory on our 2005 Honda Accord.

If the dealer changed the oil in your 3k mile Civic, then that is fine.

I dumped the factory fill on the Accord way before 3k.

My new Honda Ridgeline truck's manual does not even mention OCI by miles. All it says (and this includes the factory fill) is to change oil only when the OLM service notice comes on. I have 5800 miles on mine and the OLM shows oil life expectancy of 20%. The service due notice comes on when there is 15% oil life expectancy and you are to change oil somewhere between that point and the service past due notice which comes on at 0%.

As far as time is concerned, the manual states that if you put so few miles on the truck that the service due notice does not come on, go ahead and change oil once a year.

The "break-in" oil as I understand it is nothing more than a Superflo formula. However, it is used in conjunction with their assembly lubes (which are chock full of moly). I guess they want you to keep the oil in there a while for the sake of the moly it interacts with. Even when the factory fill is dumped, one 6800 mile UOA (which I posted here for the owner some time ago) shows somewhere between 300 and 400 units of moly which is far more than most virgin oils have right out of the bottle (Havoline and Redline 5w20s are the notable exceptions).

For these reasons, it seems Honda, perhaps more than most auto makers, likes moly as a primary additive (however they get it in the motor) for break-in of their engines.

There was a blurb over at "Lube Report" a month or so ago about Nippon Oil of Japan building a blending plant in Alabama. According to the text, Nippon Oil has been Honda's exclusive supplier for factory-fill oil at the Ohio assembly plant since its inception. Nippon Oil also supplies Toyota's U.S. plant(s) and Hyundai's U.S. plant. The new U.S. blending operation will remove a potential bottleneck insofar as shipping bulk finished motor oil to the U.S. for the other Asian automakers' plants over here. Seems the rumor about EM "Superflo" and "Drive Clean" being Honda's factory fill are groundless. Honda's own brand of parts-counter motor oil is made by EM per the back label of the containers.

How come i only see honda's oil fill has more moly than other manufacturer's oil fill?? Is there an advantage to this method or is it just because due to the assembly/design of honda's vehicles?

Ford PSD comes with 10W-30 oil with a slightly higher moly number than the normal MC 10W-30. The 10W-30 is also a lighter oil than the recommended 15W-40 for the 6.0L PSD.

As such, I would conclude that the Ford PSD does have special Break-in oil because:
1. The 10W-30 that comes with it is not the recommended oil for the 6.0L PSD.
2. The factory fill oil has more moly in it than the normal MC 10W-30 oil.
3. This "special" oil is used during the "break-in" period, and Ford does not recommend changing it out early.

I left it in my F-350 for 4800 miles before I changed it. The truck now has over 11K on it, and it. Can anyone tell me how many miles I reduced the engine life by not changing the early?

I changed the original oil out on my 04 Accord
at 3900 miles. It was looking very green.
Assembly lube? dye? I don't know.

Lukey

Ray, I don't know anything about the Ohio assembly plant's factory fill oil supplier. I don't even know what models Honda builds there. My Ridgeline was built in Canada and I heard they use a Superflo oil in it. Many people believe the higher than the normal Superflo moly content comes from the factory assembly lubes rather than added to the oil itself. I don't know for sure.

Nippon use to make a very good oil filter for some Hondas but I think the contract then went to Filtech and now to Honeywell/Fram (the Frams are not suppose to be good as the Filtech and Nippons). But I was unaware they supplied oil for Honda as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back