uoa john deere 6076

Status
Not open for further replies.
i know we usually go over automotive uoa's here, but i wanted to throw this one into the mix, to show why i use john deere plus 50 motor oil.
the engine is a john deere marine 6076 (466) with 9798 hrs. engine is either run at wot or idle (lots of idle time, probably 30-40%) i have samples dating back to '92 on this particular engine, i'm only going to post most recent.
sample has 254 hrs., i generally run this oil to 350 hrs., but boat is layed-up until mid-april and i always put her to bed with fresh fluids
oil; john deere plus 50 15w-40
oilscan; through deere
sample date; 12/5/09
make-up oil; 10 qts (due to extensive ideling, hasn't changed since new)

iron................28
chromium............ 1
nickel.............. 1
aluminum............ 2
lead................ 1
copper.............. 1
tin................. silver............. titanium............ silicon............. 4
boron..............133
sodium.............. 5
potassium.......... moly...............139
phosphorous.......1410
zinc..............1723
calcium...........4102
barium............. magnesium...........15
antimony........... vanadium............ fuel %vol........... t/s %vol...........0.5
water %vol......... vis cs 100`c....... 15

oilscan doesn't offer tbn/tan to my knowledge, but this engine has always returned stellar uoa's

Look at all that zinc and moly! That is a very robust oil. Can you tell us the API rating? Oldtommy

WOW
13.gif

+50 looks like an amazing oil...Great results.

sorry i forgot to add its either ci-4, or ci-4 plus. it could be a combination of the two. the sump capacity is 7 gallons and my dealer had 5 gal pail ci-4 plus(new stock) and 2 1/2 gal jugs were ci-4 (old stock). i don't remember if the last oc was the same mix or not. the above results are why i run plus 50 in every diesel i own.

Originally Posted By: oliveoil
What hp and tq rating for this engine. And what is it in?

250 hp @ 2200 rpm, peak tq; 675 ft.lb. @ 1600rpm
the engine was installed new into a fishing vessel, by far the most maintainence-free engine i have ever owned

Can't argue against that oil based on this UOA! Would love to see TBN, however, as a final measure of quality. Many other labs will do that testing if Oilcan won't. YOu must fish Erie?

JD oil is produced by 2 suppliers, Chevron and Exxon/Mobil. Chevron is supplier in the West and Exxon/Mobil supplies the product in the East. Both companies blend the oil to "Big Green's" standards but it compares closest to Delo...

Last edited:
Now THAT is big, nasty tough oil!!! Look at those adds!

There's a JD dealer not far from where I live....for my car in the summer...hmmmmm.....I'll have to check if they make a 10W-30!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Now THAT is big, nasty tough oil!!! Look at those adds!

There's a JD dealer not far from where I live....for my car in the summer...hmmmmm.....I'll have to check if they make a 10W-30!

they do make a couple of 10w-30, plus 50, (very comparable specs to the 15w-40) which i am switching my 6.0 powerstroke over to, and torq guard supreme cj-4, sm. but that spec is only available in canada, here in the us its ci-4, and their 15w-40 is ci-4 plus.
their claim is a combination of group II & group III basestocks for plus 50.
new 15w-40 has a tbn of 13.6 as per jd specs
and yes i do fish in lake erie

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
They also make a 0W40 CH4.
http://www.deere.com/en_US/parts/partsinfo/oils_and_lubricants/oil_0w40.html

Charlie

i had a problem with the 0w-40 plus 50 ch-4 last year in above engine, according to deere that formulation is not able to handle usld. i had low viscosity due to fuel dilution.(2.5%) they have a new formulation that has supposed to have been out last spring (ci-4 plus or cj) dealer says its listed in the computer but they are unable to order. maybe its available in canada i don't know. when i used the 0w-40 oil consumption was almost eliminated

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
Originally Posted By: m37charlie
They also make a 0W40 CH4.
http://www.deere.com/en_US/parts/partsinfo/oils_and_lubricants/oil_0w40.html

Charlie

i had a problem with the 0w-40 plus 50 ch-4 last year in above engine, according to deere that formulation is not able to handle usld. i had low viscosity due to fuel dilution.(2.5%) they have a new formulation that has supposed to have been out last spring (ci-4 plus or cj) dealer says its listed in the computer but they are unable to order. maybe its available in canada i don't know. when i used the 0w-40 oil consumption was almost eliminated

Your lack of oil consumption might have been due to fuel going into the oil. 2.5% of 6 gal = 0.6qt That's not taking into account evaporation of the fuel when the oil is warm.
Do other samples show fuel dilution? Is it due to prolonged idling?
I don't know how ULSD could be bad for an oil, it usually is good because of less H2SO4 formation.
I should check with a JD dealer, there's one ~1 mile from my house.

Charlie

same engine and before any work was performed we went back to 15w-40 ci-4 plus as per jd field rep suggestions. fuel dilution went back down to nothing, so no pump or injector work has been done. jd rep said that they had seen this in some instances and attributed it to usld. i had used the 15w-40 for at least 12 years prior to two runs of 0w-40 and they were the only two with any fuel dilution. last run was only for 75 hrs., pulled uoa and switched back to 15w-40. deere even paid for my last oc as they said they stand behind all of their products!

That's strange, I don't understand how different oils can cause fuel dilution. For that matter, how ULSD can cause fuel dilution.
Not doubting your results.

Charlie

Nice results. The JD 466 is a very tough engine, we have three with 8500-10,000 hrs in different farm tractors. Oil consumption is negligible in all three.

The only issues we have had with this model engine is the gear-driven water pump; when the seal goes bad it will leak coolant into the crankcase. We’ve had it happen on two engines, the first time was a big leak that was observed by excessive vapor coming out of the vent tube, the second was caught by UOA.

If fuel dilution continues to be a problem I would look at the injectors, with that many hours the fuel spray pattern and droplet size probably aren't ideal.

What HP is this marine engine?

my version is 250 hp @ 2200, later models ran 300 hp @ 2400. i know all about the water pump, i think i'm on my 3rd one, but i always caught them in time, never had any coolant in the oil. i always noticed it at the weep hole and it dripped onto the harmonic balancer. the fuel dilution was over a year ago on back to back oc, the second one i only ran it 75 hrs to see if it would happen again as per jd suggestion, and it did. at 2.5% its just over the threshold of 2%. like i said above deere field rep said they had seen this sporadically with their 0w-40ch-4 since the introduction of usld, before using the 0w-40 and after (2 oc) with their 15w-40 plus 50 never had any fuel dilution, and always returned stellar results. deere & co supplied me with 7 1/2 gallons of oil and a filter after the 2nd uoa with the 0w-40 so no complaints here.

within 2 weeks i'll have a uoa to post from my 6.0 powerstroke with plus 50 15w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back