F1 Champ 09?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bill888
I think that the more choices or variables you can introduce aids in various strategies which might make some of the races more exciting.

To a certain extent. I do have a problem with the mandatory tire compound changes during a race. Just let the teams choose which tire they want and let them run it. Engine rules are OK, give each car X number of engines per season and let them choose when and where to run which engine. Still haven't figured out the purpose of eliminating refueling though.

EDIT: Belated congrats to Jensen. I hope Ross doesn't cheap out (a la Frank Williams) and let Jenson go, but money is money.

Last edited:
I have always thought he best way to do it is let them run the cars they want.But mandate a certain engine size. But F1 controls the fuel used. If they get too fast lower the octane of the fuel. Same for every team.

Ditto re: Button, Brawn & Rubens - Who'da thought at the end of last season that we'd be seeing this team as well as S.Vettel taking the top honors?
Now, let's see if we can actually have our own F1 race in the US. Back at Indy? Vegas? or Long Beach? Probably just wishful thinking.

Originally Posted By: Bill888
Good points. I'm also glad that KERS will be gone. I originally liked the idea of F1 refining this system, but in reality it seemed to cheapen the formula (I still feel that CART's 'push-to-pass' helped to kill that series.) And, since I'm on a soapbox, I'd like to see F1 return to 3.0ltr V10's, new engines allowed after every race; any choice of tire compounds allowed, etc. This series should be the fastest, most technically sophisticated form of auto racing on earth. If you don't have the money, then go find a Touring Car Series or Nascar Truck team. JMHO.

I'd like to see engine regulations loosened a bit too, just to see what kind of power can be made from an NA engine. But these engines can make 800hp from a 2.4 litre V8, just imagine what kind of power they'd make with a 3.0 V10, then allowed to use multiple injectors, variable exhaust and intake geometry and variable valve timing. I think the one fuel load idea is a good one. It forces manufacturers to think about efficiency, which will trickle down to road vechiles.

Yeah, one thing in particular I didn't like was limiting the rev's to 18,000 rpm.
Don't have a problem with no fuel stops and yes they should be able to run whatever tire rubber compounds they want.

Congrats to Jensen

i know the fuel cell tech has gotten a lot better, but still thats a lot of fuel to haul around a racetrack. that has to be an even bigger fire danger if there is a corner 1 shunt that involves a fuel cell getting punctured.

Originally Posted By: hpichris
Imagine how different the car is going to handle during the start of the race compared to when it's almost done.

Great point. That's going to be a whole new field of strategy. How would you setup a car - Fast on the first set of tires? Or just average everything out and have a nice handling mid-race car. Monaco's going to be even more of a parade event in '10. Now it's guaranteed - he who qualifies first wins. LOL.

And now Jensen is leaving Brawn for Mclaren where he will partner with fellow Englishman, Lewis Hamilton.

I was glad to see Jensen win the championship this year as I have been cheering for him since his days at Renault ... but paired with gifted and daring Hamilton, the ever-careful Jenson will appear downright slow.

He has a shot at winning a race here 'n there ... but I can't see him consistently beating Lewis.

The FIA has confirmed that a new points scoring system will come into effect next season due to an expanded grid of 13 teams.

Under the new system, announced after a meeting in Monaco of the World Motor Sport Council, the winner will get 25 points.
There will be 20 for second place, 15 for third and the remaining points will be allocated 10-8-6-5-3-2-1.
The current format awards points to the top eight in a 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 sequence.
F1 will have four new teams next year after the withdrawal of Toyota and BMW, whose team will continue as Sauber.
The FIA also decided to award Abu Dhabi's Yas Marina circuit the final grand prix of the 2010 season.
A provisional calendar had listed Abu Dhabi as the penultimate race before Brazil, but that has now been changed.
Reuters

In a recent article, a newspaper gave the following answer to your question;
"Under the 2010 system, the result of 2009's championship would have remained the same.
Jenson Button 243 points
Sebastian Vettel 203
Barrichello: 187
Mark Webber 178
Lewis Hamilton 123
Kimi Raikkonen 119
Lewis Hamilton 240
Felipe Massa 239
Kimi Raikkonen 271
Lewis Hamilton 270
Fernando Alonso 268
In 1999 the result would have changed