Duralast waterpumps

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to install a waterpump in my 1996 explorer engine 4.0. I understand I need a fan clutch tool and Autozone loans them out. Are there Duralast waterpumps decent. I would like to purchase from them if they loan out the tool. After 208k miles(original owner) it finally started leaking. I converted car to dexcool after it was about 3years old. I believe the low silicates in dexcool contributed to its longevity.

If an oem lasted to 208K, why not replace it with a motorcraft water pump if the price is right.

the duralast water pumps USED TO BE GMB. Last I checked they were made in china.
The lifetime warranty means nothing if you have to keep replacing it.

My 93 ranger 4.0 has 226k on the original water pump, and so far, so good.. I'm using zerex regular green with zerex's anti-rust and 2 bottles of water wetter.

I'd spend a few bucks more and get the Motorcraft.
I have a MC replacement in the garage, new in box waiting to be called on for when the time comes.

Originally Posted By: Billy007
If an oem lasted to 208K, why not replace it with a motorcraft water pump if the price is right.

I dont have the fan clutch tool. If I am using there tool I would like to give them the business.

You still have to give them a deposit fee for the tool.

So you can go there and pickup the clutch tool and get the deposit fee back when your done. Just go buy like a bottle of STP or something.

And if my OEM part got me to 200+k then I would never think twice about using the same part again.

Last edited:
I have replaced the wp on my blazer, c1500, and suburban all with duralast waterpumps. the oldest one has about 80k on it, so i really cant speak for very long duribility, but they seem good.

We don't use Autozone stuff at the shop. We use Napa and Pep boys. The Pep Boys pumps are Chinese and come in a Bosch box.

The Napa pumps come in a Napa box ,Made in China and they are exactly the same product that we get from PB. Same instructions and same gaskets taped to the inside of the lid.

I bet that the AZ pump is the same as the other 2.

Originally Posted By: jstutz
I have replaced the wp on my blazer, c1500, and suburban all with duralast waterpumps. the oldest one has about 80k on it, so i really cant speak for very long duribility, but they seem good.

I would be happy with 80k more miles. That would take me to almost 300k. Thanks for the input

I like the silicates. They form a protective coating on new aluminum parts.
My favorite AF is the G-05 type - the dual action one.
Only a little silicate.
Anyway, this would only be a problem with the heavy doses in old AF if left in too long.

At the shop I work at we've had very few if any problems with duralast water pumps... but i can say we HATE dexcool.

I've installed maybe 5 autozone water pumps in various cars and never had a problem with the pumps. I'm not too crazy about Motorcraft in this application, either. Rockauto has a Cardone for 49.99 while the MC is 140.99. Is the MC better than the Cardone? Probably. Is it 3x better? No way! I say let the greedy buzzards make their boat payments off of someone else.

Having said that, there was one time that I had a problem with an autozone water pump gasket. I got the gasket prep'd with ATV and then realized it was the wrong one. I took it all back to the store and showed them that there was no possible way to make the two go together. The guy at the counter shrugged and just handed me the right felpro one. Yeah they should have put the right one in at the factory and the store should have checked it but baring that they made it right in the end quickly and without any drama.

Originally Posted By: EricF
was the cardone wp new or rebuilt? that sounds kinda low price for a new one..

Rockauto actually had one of each but the example I gave was for a new one. The reman was $3 less, which makes no sense to me but whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back