Delo-400 Or Delvac 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delo is an excellent oil, and Chevron did some good analysis in the past comparing and contrasting the performance of delo 400 vs. D1. That said, IMO there is a fair amount of feel, MPG and operational analysis that should be added. For example, in my 83 MB 300D, I did not like the engine feel with delo 400, and noticed a bit of an MPG dip, compared to rotella and delvac. I ultimately went to D1 in that vehicle, and was happy with UOA results and MPG increases.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Delo is an excellent oil, and Chevron did some good analysis in the past comparing and contrasting the performance of delo 400 vs. D1. That said, IMO there is a fair amount of feel, MPG and operational analysis that should be added. For example, in my 83 MB 300D, I did not like the engine feel with delo 400, and noticed a bit of an MPG dip, compared to rotella and delvac. I ultimately went to D1 in that vehicle, and was happy with UOA results and MPG increases.

What did you settle for an OCI in your MB and D1?

7500 miles was roughly when I passed 1% soot loading on that engine, and thus the point where I was comfortable with draining. Im sure I could have gone up to twice as far, as D1 has a high amount of dispersant...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

JHZR2 - Do you have a link to that report, it would be a great read.

They are different oils Delvac 1 is a premium syn extended drain oil 5w40

Where delo 400 is a regular 15w40.

both are great if somewhat different oils.

no question the D1 is better but in your climate I'd say go for the delo 400 even if you change it twice as much you will come out with less cost.

Originally Posted By: Rand

no question the D1 is better but in your climate I'd say go for the delo 400 even if you change it twice as much you will come out with less cost.

Delo 400 has shows itself to be more than just a regular dino, it would run the same drain interval as D1 in its designed environment (Truck Use). Both are excellent and i prefer the thicker visco of the Delo.

Originally Posted By: vxcalais
Originally Posted By: Rand

Delo 400 has shows itself to be more than just a regular dino, it would run the same drain interval as D1 in its designed environment (Truck Use). Both are excellent and i prefer the thicker visco of the Delo.

You can get 100,000Km OCI's out of Delo 400?

Hi,
vxcalais - You said:
"Delo 400 has shows itself to be more than just a regular dino, it would run the same drain interval as D1 in its designed environment (Truck Use)."

At the limits I don't think a mineral HDEO will match D1 for OCIs. Or Delo, Rotella synthetics either perhaps

IME mineral HDEOs typically become more viscous as the effects of soot take over. D1 typically remains in grade for very extended periods

Delo 400, Delvac 1300 and Rotella mineral lubricants would probably perform at similar levels. My experience with these lubricants and Castrol's equivalents over some decades seem to suggest this

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
vxcalais - You said:"
Delo 400, Delvac 1300 and Rotella mineral lubricants would probably perform at similar levels. My experience with these lubricants and Castrol's equivalents over some decades seem to suggest this

Perform similar to D1 or to one another ? What would typical drain interval in truck use be of Del 400, MX and Valvoline Blue? I am pretty sure its up there. No doubt D1 is a far superior oil, but Delo 400 is not too bad either.

Hi,
vxcalais - Compare like lubricants - mineral to mineral - synthetic to synthetic

Mineral 15W-40 HDEOS usually tend to suffer an increase in viscosity after around 30kkms IME. Oxidation and soot handling abilities are the prime reason. This usually precludes their use (with standard filtration) after around 50kkms

Of course generalisations are able to be challenged and my comments can be too. Much depends on the engine family and the emmission systems used

The Delo range of Commercial products have a long history of excellence. I first used them in problem solving with petrol engines (engine deposits) in Europe in the early 1960s when I worked for Caltex-Chevron in a Technical capacity. This commenced my long marraige to HDEOs in petrol engines

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
vxcalais - Compare like lubricants - mineral to mineral - synthetic to synthetic

Mineral 15W-40 HDEOS usually tend to suffer an increase in viscosity after around 30kkms IME. Oxidation and soot handling abilities are the prime reason. This usually precludes their use (with standard filtration) after around 50kkms

Of course generalisations are able to be challenged and my comments can be too. Much depends on the engine family and the emmission systems used

The Delo range of Commercial products have a long history of excellence. I first used them in problem solving with petrol engines (engine deposits) in Europe in the early 1960s when I worked for Caltex-Chevron in a Technical capacity. This commenced my long marraige to HDEOs in petrol engines

Great info Doug, hence my continued relationship with HDEO in my Petrol/LPG vehicle, well the 4 bottles of HDEO are waiting after the Edge run.

The new CJ oil and ULSD should have a lot better soot capabilities. Also, both synthetics and minerals meet the same strict CJ API requirements. So I'm not yet convinced the new CJ mineral oils are any less than synthetics...unless it is temp/visc range.

Likewise, I'm not convinced there's a significant difference amongst any oil with the same API rating. You'll perhaps see the tiny differences when the oil reaches the extreme limits (extended oil changes, racing, etc).

Today's CJ4 oils are determined "best" by marketing and price.

Jake

Originally Posted By: daman
Still would rather use CI4 oils,to bad there getting harder and harder to find now..

Why? CJ4 oils have been proven in the laboratory to perform better (when used with ULSD).

Originally Posted By: snakyjake
Originally Posted By: daman
Still would rather use CI4 oils,to bad there getting harder and harder to find now..

Why? CJ4 oils have been proven in the laboratory to perform better (when used with ULSD).

Yea in a lab not in real world,id rather have the boosted Zinc,phos and cal...i use LSD

Hi,
snakyjake - You said this:
"You'll perhaps see the tiny differences when the oil reaches the extreme limits (extended oil changes, racing, etc)."

HDEOs were never designed as a "race" oil - they have a lot more to do than that!

At extended OCIs and on the pathway to that point some HDEOs handle soot better than others - they are not always "tiny differences". The ability to prevent soot agglomeration is why some HDEOs perform better than others - this has to do with their base fluids and overall formulation. That is why some are very expensive and of course cost effectiveness is a large economic consideration too.

For many, cost effectiveness remains with the use of standard OCIs and mineral lubricants

The API's Quality standard is of course the low bar of the jump. The high bar is determined in use - and perhaps by UOAs on the way!

Last edited:
ULSD and biodiesel is a game changer for soot handling.

CJ4 just raised the quality bar.
The only thing I've seen UOA prove is how long you can extend the oil change. Or said another way...change your oil every 1,000 miles instead of 3,000 miles (normal driving conditions)....and all CJ4 oils appear to perform the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back