Honda MTF vs Amsoil 5w30 Syncromesh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone comment on these two MTF fluids in their Honda/Acuras? From what I can gather the Amsoil is a superior fluid, (in terms of shifting feel and longevity), but it's far more expensive.

Trying to see if it's worth the extra cost..

What is the interval for the MTF?

Remember, the amount of cash you could waste in a week or two on sodas is worth the step-up in mechanical protection.

Originally Posted By: Liquid_Turbo

Trying to see if it's worth the extra cost..

Yes, it is, especially given that you don't need that much fluid to change it over. I mean, you're only talking about one or two quarts of fluid, right? So the cost difference is what...maybe $10?

What car do you have? I put it in a '99 Integra and loved it. Especially when it was cold. The Honda stuff made the gears grind in winter until it warmed up.

No. Just use the oem spec fluid at the oem spec intervals or shorten the oem intervals if you wish.. Manual transmissions don't fail.

Originally Posted By: BeanCounter

Remember, the amount of cash you could waste in a week or two on sodas is worth the step-up in mechanical protection.

See, this is the weird part.

The manual states:

Normal 120,000miles
Severe 60,000 miles until change.

Other highly respected Honda tuners say every 3rd oil change.

And there are plenty of stories such as Madibobs two posts above, where Amsoil gave much better shifting feel.

Yes, it's only about $15-$20, but trying to save what I can!

Just because Honda MTF comes with EP/AW additives to that of ordinary motor oil, I would simply go for the best Honda MTF fluid available out there and call the day.

I'm currently using re-packaged Idemitsu MTF-II that are somewhat available from certain dealerships, or more commonly available from Acura dealerships and it's shifting great. And just as you think that MTF-II is superior to that of any ordinary otc Honda OEM MTF fluid, wait till you try the real mccoy MTF-III which is supposedly full-synthetic (again provided to Honda under OEM by Idemitsu in Japan).

I personally would not trust the use of ordinary engine oil in Honda MT gearboxes even though their weight (viscosity) is low.

Q.

Originally Posted By: BeanCounter

See, this is the weird part.

The manual states:

Normal 120,000miles
Severe 60,000 miles until change.

Other highly respected Honda tuners say every 3rd oil change.

And there are plenty of stories such as Madibobs two posts above, where Amsoil gave much better shifting feel.

Yes, it's only about $15-$20, but trying to save what I can!

I certainly understand saving. If you must, then that is alright, as I'm sure it won't be catastrophic, but I would be willing to be in the long run, the longer OCI would make the price difference actually less. See what you can do though.

Liquid_Turbo - My transmission always seemed to grind a couple teeth when shifting in the winter until it was warm. I complained to a co worker, and he said I should try a synthetic fluid (mechanical engineer). Went to an amsoil dealer and tried the oil and it sure made it shift smoother. Not that Amsoil is the only synthetic that could have done it, I'm sure others would give the same result. However, I tried Amsoil in a Tacoma hoping it would make it shift smoother and it didn't seem to make any difference. The extra cost probably boils down to how fussy you are.

I've used the OEM MTF, Royal Purple MTF, Pennzoil MTF, and Amsoil MTF in my 04 Honda Civic Si and the Amsoil has been the best. 2nd and 3rd would grind with the OEM and Royal Purple stuff while the Pennzoil would make the gears feel a little more "notchy" especially in cold weather. The Amsoil solved all of these problems. Been using it ever since and currently at 136,000 miles on the vehicle.

ArLiquid_Turbo,

Go with the Amsoil - it'll definitely last w-a-y longer and probably shift better.

Are you comparing the price of the Honda stuff to the discounted price (about 25% off) of Amsoil that you can get from certain dealers? I just changed my trans fluid (1 qt MTF & 2 qts MTG for my Mazda transaxle) and one of the reasons I used Amsoil was because of the low price.

Originally Posted By: teambeechstreet
I've used the OEM MTF, Royal Purple MTF, Pennzoil MTF, and Amsoil MTF in my 04 Honda Civic Si and the Amsoil has been the best. 2nd and 3rd would grind with the OEM and Royal Purple stuff while the Pennzoil would make the gears feel a little more "notchy" especially in cold weather. The Amsoil solved all of these problems. Been using it ever since and currently at 136,000 miles on the vehicle.

Perfect. There are too many of these stories floating around to just be coincidence. I shall give it a try.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Give the Amsoil a few hundred miles to really get in the pores of the metals before passing judgement.
I have MTF [Amsoil Synchromesh] in my tranny right now -I've tried a lot. Redline is very good, and Pennzoil Synchromesh is good when fresh. Very satisfied with the Amsoil.

I drove my friend's RSX Type-S with Amsoil MTF. That was my first personal use of Amsoil...[censored] it shifts smooth!

I use only honda oem fluids and i just changed my tranny fluid with honda and i have no shifting issues

Thanks to a very random and kind donation by Hate2work, I was able to purchase the Amsoil 5w30 Synchromesh MTF fluid to install in my Acura RSX.

I have the 5speed version of the car. In other Acura forums, many people have experience 2nd gear grind and 3rd gear pop-out in their 6speed tranmission. A few people have experienced mitigation of these problems by using the Amsoil synthetic fluid.

Even though my tranmission has no such grinding problems, I wanted to try out the Amsoil to see if there was any difference. It was a really big price difference. My local Honda sells the Genuine Honda MTF fluid for only $2.50/quart. When I ordered the Amsoil fluid, it came out to be $25 for two quarts! (So pricey!)
41ngI0JkD6L._SL500_AA280_.jpg
mtf.jpg

As someone who is currently unemployed, that's a lot to me. I went ahead and had a chance to change out the fluid during the Christmas break. The car only takes 1.8 quarts of fluid, and it's as easy to do as an oil change. The trick is to put the car on 4 jacks so that the car is level for the drain, otherwise you won't be able to drain all the fluid. Open the fill bolt (always do this first, because you don't want to be stuck in the situation where you've drained the fluid and can't loosen the fill bolt!), then open the drain bolt. Drain and Close bolt, then fill with MTF, then close the fill bolt.
IMG_9331.jpg

The drain bolt is under the CV joint, and the fill is the one beside the rubber plug.

Let me give some background information about how the car was like before, when I was using the Genuine Honda Fluid.

When cold, the transmission would shift just fine, except there were some mild problems shifting from 1 to 2.

Basically sometimes there would be a little extra resistance during the travel along the shift, along with a "clunky" feeling when the gear was trying to seat into 2nd. The only way I can describe it is like try to shift into three ball bearings. When the transmission is fully warmed up, these go away completely, and shifting is quite smooth. Because of these issues, I always shifted quite slow when the transmission hadn't warmed up yet.

After:

Now that I've switched to the Amsoil Synthetic Fluid, the biggest change was the cold-weather shifting. The shifting now feels like the tramsmission is warm all the time. No resistance, no clunking, no nothing! I can even shift quickly for the first shift and there is no hesitation. It's pricey, but I'm going to keep running Amsoil in the future.

Since I had a good experience in the fluid, I might give Amsoil SSO a try. Still though. I can't justify a 70$ oil change at the moment when I can do one with PP at $25.

Last edited:
Glad this worked out for you, good deal :)

I really think the better ATF and gear oils ( Amsoil, Red Line, etc ) are very much worth the extra money you spend on them. I'm not convinced the same can be said about their premium oils, especially if you're doing normal OCIs. Like you pointed out, you can do a change with PP for almost 1/3 of the price of SSO.

$2.50/qt. for genuine Honda manual trans lube?
That is ridiculously low.
Maybe it is the old stuff they are getting rid of. The old fluid was so-so, the new fluid is supposed to be pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back