Honda ATF-Z1 with Lubegard Red?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Anyone has experience with adding Lubegard Red to ATF Z1?
I aim to increase the life of the Honda ATF somehow to need servicing every 30K only. I just went through one drain/fill with MaxLife and four drain/fills with Z1. (I did not like how MaxLife shifted.)

So after doing five drains and fills I would like to avoid doing it for a while. Hehe...

If you have used Lubegard Red with Z1 please let me know your impressions.

Thank You

I am running that exact combonitation for about two weeks.

I flushed with Z1 about 9 months ago.

It really improved the shift speed and quality over old Z1.

I added Lubegard Red about two weeks ago.

Did not notice any difference.

I was hoping tranny whine would go away. NOT.

I hope the Red is lubiracting better.

BTW Kinda of decided againts Lubegard Platinum for fear it would change the friction profile and cuase the tranny to slip.

BTW II Also replaced stock ATF filter with Magnefine filter about 7 months ago.

Last edited:
I have used LG Red with Honda Z-1 fluid since the first change at 25K in my 2001 Accord 4 cyl. with the problematic BAXA A/T. I installed a Magnafine filter at 70K. I now have over 90K and so far so good. I can't say if the LG has definitely helped but it certainly hasn't hurt anything. The car still shifts like new and I do believe the LG red helps the fluid battle HEAT. I am a believer in LG Red and have also added it to my Corolla (with Toyota T-IV) and my Buick (with Mobil 1 ATF). All three run great.

I could not figure out the Platinum bottle from Lubegard either. Is the friction modifier in there or not? They are not clear about that so I got the red bottle.

OK, I will add Lubegard Red then and probably a Magnafine filter around the next flush cycle.
In my experience refreshing the fluid helps shift quality tremendously.

Thanks for the replies!

This place is a fantastic resource on all things for car maintenance.

Last edited:
What kind of tranny whine are you getting? I has a whine that was taken care of by replacing the Z1 with redline D4 ATF...

Originally Posted By: FZ1
No reason to mess with the Z1 by adding additives.

I totally disagree. IMO Z-1 is a marginal fluid that can use all the help it can get. Unfortunately for Honda owners it is the only fluid that Honda approves.

Here is a summary of LG from another site:

"LUBEGARD automotive products, developed by International Lubricants, Inc. (ILI), are the finest high performance supplements available. ILI's patented technology is unsurpassed in quality and performance. It is a significant departure from conventional lubricants in that LUBEGARD products contain Liquid Wax Esters (LXE) derived from multiple seed oil sources, developed in conjunction with the US Department of Agriculture.

LUBEGARD technology was developed under the direction of Phillip S Landis, Ph. D., a highly distinguished research chemist who headed the Mobil Oil Applied Lubrication Research Group until his retirement in 1984. Prior to the 1972 Endangered Species Act, over 30 million pounds of sperm whale oil, and its derivatives, were used as additives in virtually all automotive lubricants. Subsequent sperm oil substitutes can burn, oxidize, pyrolize, and thin out at the elevated operating temperatures in today's high-tech vehicles. LUBEGARD'sunique proprietary products raise the thermal and oxidative stability level of any lubricant while significantly lowering elevated operating temperatures.

Independent 3rd party test results prove LUBEGARD reduces component wear by at least 50%, reduces oxygen uptake(oxidation) by 30% and reduces pentane insolubles (sludge) by 60%.

No other competitive products approach the technology and performance of LUBEGARD products."

PS: I have nothing to do with LG except that I'm a satisfied user.

Really,I care less about the laypersons "marginal fluid" assessment than using a fluid spec'd by the oem for their transmission. I think Honda knows more than do you re ATF they spec for the transmission they build and warrant.

Really,I care less about the laypersons "marginal fluid" assessment than using a fluid spec'd by the oem for their transmission. I think Honda knows more than do you re ATF they spec for the transmission they build and warrant.

Honda makes an excellent engine but their track record building A/T's leaves a lot to be desired. I wouldn't buy a new Honda with an A/T anytime soon (maybe ever). For this reason their 'OEM recommendation' means little to me. If an aftermarket fluid (like Redline D4) or additive (like LG Red) proved to make their inferior A/T last longer I'll use it.

In principal I agree. On the other hand I am troubled by the evidence of absolutely terrible UOAs that
Z1 turns out for 7th generation Accords, just after 20K miles. At the same time Honda recommends changing
the ATF after 90K+ miles.

I could change the Z1 every 15K miles, but my goal to do it every 30K and have the transmission last
at least until 120K without repairs.

Similar deal with the power steering fluid. My neighbour did not change it in his Accord for almost 90K when
the pump died.

I think Honda knows quite a bit about charging $2k for rebuilt auto transmissions plus $1k for dealership labor.

If you are sheep there is no reason to be here on Bitog.

Just read the manual and obey.

If you do some research then you will see there are better alternatives to using Z1 alone.

Well,that's your opinion. I'll stick with mine. I've got 102k on my 02 Accord V6. Lots of miles towing my little bass boat and no problems yet.

Whatever floats your boat.... If you like it use it....I did in the past and went to Redline and the tranny gear whine is gone..... Z1 whould not...

Thousands and thousands of Honda Civic, Accord and Oddysey automatic transmissions have DIED using Honda Z-1 fluid and following the owners manual with regard to changing fluid. Thousands more have died using Z-1 at change intervals far in excess of what Honda 'recommends'. We know that Honda has had inferior A/T's in many models and years (Civic, Accord, Oddysey).

Z-1 is not synthetic and UOA's have shown that it is nothing special. I'd be a fool if I didn't try to help my tranny by using a better fluid or an additive or an inline filter or an auxillary cooler or a combination of these.

If you want to see the failure rate of A/T's in various Hondas go to carcomplaints.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back