2008 kia sportage oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys my cousin has a 08 sportage brought brand new, she tells me yesterday the car is struggling to move i go to take a look at it and the oil looks like molasses. i ask her when's the last time she changed the oil the answer was at 3k when the dealer did a checkup and the first oil change free. so its been 26k on that oil change which im assuming is just dino oil honestly im scared to touch it any suggestions on what to do?

Well, Hmmmm!
The oil is going to need to be drained and refilled with something that will do some real cleaning. I would first try some popular synthetic oils mentioned here at BOB's. Others here will offer some great advise as to a good product that will flush out the molasses/oil. This may have to be done several times. Oh Boy! I hope she doesn't have any warranty issues comming up soon. Your cousin is going to have to invest in some addative products for this problem.

It's a crop-shoot at this point. Recent Hyundai/Kia engines are pretty tough, and have been know to survive this treatment.

The warranty is gone at this point, so in a way, it doesn't really matter what you do. If you want to try and save it, I'd do an oil change, and substutute 1 quart of oil for a quart of MMO, run it 1k, and change it. I'd do that at least 2 times, and then got to 3k changes after that. Engine may clean-up and do just fine; or will start burning oil like crazy, and fail in short order.

Some will say 'don't touch it, she'll blame you for it's problems'. So, before you embark on this, make sure she understands that what she has done is wrong, and may have damaged the engine serverly, and that you aren't responsible for what happens next. Depends on what type of person she is whether she 'understands' this.

Good luck!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
It's a crop-shoot at this point. Recent Hyundai/Kia engines are pretty tough, and have been know to survive this treatment.

The warranty is gone at this point, so in a way, it doesn't really matter what you do. If you want to try and save it, I'd do an oil change, and substutute 1 quart of oil for a quart of MMO, run it 1k, and change it. I'd do that at least 2 times, and then got to 3k changes after that. Engine may clean-up and do just fine; or will start burning oil like crazy, and fail in short order.

Some will say 'don't touch it, she'll blame you for it's problems'. So, before you embark on this, make sure she understands that what she has done is wrong, and may have damaged the engine serverly, and that you aren't responsible for what happens next. Depends on what type of person she is whether she 'understands' this.

Good luck!

+1

Make sure she understands the situation and that the warranty is gone, also explain that anthing you do may or may not improve the situation.

Originally Posted By: John_K
People are unbelieveable. 3k then 26k what are people thinking???? I wouldn't touch it, she'll blame you.

John

+1...She will definitely blame you!!

Originally Posted By: PT1
Drain and refill with Pennzoil Platinum then trade it in.

I agree except that I'd use the cheapest dino I could buy. This is why women ...........

tell her to take it to the dealer and that she's on her own

if you are 100% sure she won't blame you, drain the oil or whatever it is now and then put in an HDEO like Rotella or Delo and then mix in some MMO. drive it around for a bit and then drain again and fill with a quality synthetic oil. Once you do that, I'd probably do an Italian Tuneup just to be safe

The warranty is gone at this point,..

Not necessarily. She may be able to "come up" with receipts showing ~3 more oil changes, which would make it good to go from that standpoint.

Joel

its shot.... i dont care how many time you change the oil. the speical oil is going to fix the damage thats already done... plus its a kia. ignorance is not cheap. she will know next time

another idea would be to donate it to save the whales then go out and by something she might actually care about

Tell her to bring it to a quick lube place and get the oil changed.

If the engine fails after the oil change, it would have failed anyway with the current mess that was in there. Changing it out now won't cause any damage already done.

Was the engine low on oil?

Originally Posted By: GMFan

If the engine fails after the oil change, it would have failed anyway with the current mess that was in there. Changing it out now won't cause any damage already done.

+1 only I'd change it first with a cheap dino, then go to quickie lube so they wont see the mess that's in there and try to wiesel out of an engine swap if need be. Or even better, I'd use some of your used oil so it doesn't look new so no one will suspect anything.

Originally Posted By: JustinC25
Originally Posted By: GMFan

+1 only I'd change it first with a cheap dino, then go to quickie lube so they wont see the mess that's in there and try to wiesel out of an engine swap if need be. Or even better, I'd use some of your used oil so it doesn't look new so no one will suspect anything.

You are reccomending fraud ... that is dispicable! Change the oil, switch to 3000 oci, she'll drive it and will prolly go a long time. Dispicable!

ok dont listen to me or anything its a kia! would could it be worth in the condition that its in 750 to a grand, just junk the thing, and just to add you people who want to rip some company off is stupid and shows what type of people you are. i hope your pos cars runthemselves into the ground

... If you want to try and save it, I'd do an oil change, and substitute 1 quart of oil for a quart of MMO, run it 1k, and change it. I'd do that at least 2 times, and then got to 3k changes after that. Engine may clean-up and do just fine; or will start burning oil like crazy, and fail in short order.

+1

I would use 1/2 HDEO such as Delo and 1/2 MMO for 1-200 miles with an Italian Tuneup to raise the oil temperature above 200-220F to clean up the mess in the engine. Then drain and replace 1 qt Delo with 1 qt MMO for 1k OCI. Repeat this for a 3k OCI then back to normal OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back