Who here rides a Harley?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a metric owner I would like to know what the big attraction is to Harleys. I've ridden probably a half dozen different Harley models over the years, including a V-Rod, and my buddy's brand new Ultra Classic, and I just don't get the big attraction to the brand. I've also test ridden many of the big cubic inch v-twin metric cruisers which eventually lead to the purchase of my Suzuki M109R. I've also ridden a couple of Victorys and Goldwings. All of these bikes are superior in every measurable catagory to Harleys; power, performance, handling, ride comfort, etc., and yet 9 out 10 bikes I see on the road are Harleys. I just don't get it. What is the big draw?

It is those categories that cannot be measured which place HD far above other comparable bikes. You cannot engineer tradition, history, and heritage.

A Harley Davidson is an American cultural icon. The other bikes are not and never will be, at least in the US. You do not ride a Harley, you ride a powerful hunk of American symbolism. You either get it or you don't, and it's OK if you don't. And this comes from someone who doesn't own one, proving you do not have to own a Harley to get their meaning.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
if you have to ask, there's no way you would ever understand.

People who say this don't know the answer themselves.

Originally Posted By: bretfraz
It is those categories that cannot be measured which place HD far above other comparable bikes. You cannot engineer tradition, history, and heritage.

A Harley Davidson is an American cultural icon. The other bikes are not and never will be, at least in the US. You do not ride a Harley, you ride a powerful hunk of American symbolism. You either get it or you don't, and it's OK if you don't. And this comes from someone who doesn't own one, proving you do not have to own a Harley to get their meaning.

So it is a cult thing? People who buy Harleys just want to be part of the herd?

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: bretfraz

So it is a cult thing? People who buy Harleys just want to be part of the herd?

For some people, yeah it's the sense of being part of a culture they find attractive. Some riders are attracted to the image and style that is unique to HD. Many others like what the bikes represent, and I'm sure that is different for everyone. In a way you are both part of the culture and apart from it.

Harley Davidson has managed to create an image of "American Tradition" so a lot of people buy it if they want to be a part of it.

The comfort, reliability or technological advancement are made irrelevant by HD. It's a really marvelous marketing achievement - not a lot of brands have achieved what they have.

"If I have to explain you wouldn't understand" is the popular Harley saying. I own 3 Harleys and would never own another Japanese bike after owning 2. This is just my preference and I am well aware that the Harley has nothing technological going for it and the Japanese bikes can mostly run rings around it. I also like the family feeling a HArley rider gets from other Harley riders. One bro watching out for another so to speak. Of course with the infiltration of the wannabe bikers - a lot of that has been lost!

I just prefer American Icons and the Harley sound and torque cannot be duplicated. Some bikes come close to the sound but never exactly. I am a fair minded person and I consider all motorcyclists my friends no matter what they ride. We are all in it together and we riders all need to band together to protect our hobby.

One good thing, too , is that parts and accessories are always available! Most older Japanese bikes it gets hard to get stuff for as they age.

Trendy, A fashion statement . But then there isn't any motorcycle that looks as good as or has a persona as a Harley. I have owned a few motorcycles in my life none a Harley. I like their looks.

There is just something about a Harley. I as well do not know what it is.

maybe there isn't an easy compartmentalized answer. some things you just 'get', and some things you don't.
people ask why some prefer manual shift cars.
or steel bicycles.
or old homes.
or tube guitar amps.
or record players.

it's either something you do or don't do, that's all.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
"If I have to explain you wouldn't understand" is the popular Harley saying. I own 3 Harleys and would never own another Japanese bike after owning 2. This is just my preference and I am well aware that the Harley has nothing technological going for it and the Japanese bikes can mostly run rings around it. I also like the family feeling a HArley rider gets from other Harley riders. One bro watching out for another so to speak. Of course with the infiltration of the wannabe bikers - a lot of that has been lost!

I just prefer American Icons and the Harley sound and torque cannot be duplicated. Some bikes come close to the sound but never exactly. I am a fair minded person and I consider all motorcyclists my friends no matter what they ride. We are all in it together and we riders all need to band together to protect our hobby.

One good thing, too , is that parts and accessories are always available! Most older Japanese bikes it gets hard to get stuff for as they age.

+1 OMG...I am agreeing with GMBoy...but it is true...I have owned 2 metrics...no comparison to the Harley Davidson experience. People looking in from the outside...can never understand. I love riding my Harley.
13.gif

Yes, we really do know the answer....A Harley Davidson is a motorcycle that has a soul that the metrics ,however nice they are, don't have. As Indian Larry once said: "A motorcycle is a spiritual object...when I am riding...I am in the flow". No better description IMO.

This has to be the lamest, most overused comment when talking about the "mystique" of a Harley.

37.gif

And I am glad to see that Victory is finally pointing out that the emperor has no clothes.

. What is the big draw?

I think this goes for ALOT of HD owners. not ALL HD owners. Most dream about the movie EasyRider wile working their 9-5 job at the insurance company and they pretend to be in the HA wile they are taking their hog down the the local DD for coffee. They think they can just write a check and be cool. Its not about riding..its about a image...

I got wound up in the whole "If you have to ask..." bull.. Never again. When im 600 miles from home my simple Yammy will get me back sure as the sunrise every time.. I know alot of cool guys who ride HD's. They ride them alot and brands never really come up. Its the people who have the "if you have to ask" sayings that seem to feel they have to educate me on why my metric is "fake".

Last edited:
When I can afford a bigger bike I am going to go Victory or Triumph.

The Harley name makes one think of tradition, but its has changed hands several times. Its not the same corporation it was "in the good old days" They are so common that there is really nothing special about owning them anymore. Everyone and their dog seems to have one.

Watch the South Park episode "The F Word" made me chuckle.

i wanted a brand new english bike to replace my 69 bonnie, something serviceable, 2 cylinders, separate oil compartments, plain jane brakes, 1 carb, etc etc

harley was the ONLY choice

so i got a new lowrider sport in 1990

it was [censored], too high and unstable, lethal tires, laquered cases that blemished blah blah blah

got me a new fatboy in 1992

still grinning ear to ear every time i ride her

I wouldn't mind a basic Sportster,but the big engine bikes are a bit pointless to me.I like to go around corners (well,there is no choice in NZ,we have corners in abundance) and the feet forward thing just doesn't fit well with backing it in.

I have an XR750 Harley seat on my BMW......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back