final drive grease/spline lube need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
It calls for a Honda Moly grease paste, but I can't find any around here. I have found the following

Multi-purpose NLGI #2 aluminum complete grease H2 temp range 0-400f Meets. Req 340,350,352,355,370,371,372,375, Case 251H EP,Ford M1693a
OR
a mulit-purpose white lith grease. 0-250f Meets. Req 340,350,352,355,370,371,372,375,

I use Valvoline Durablend grease in everything. You can contact them on their website to see if it meets those specs

General Motors Part No. 1051344 (which supersedes GM Part No. 1051195)
NLGI GC- LB
Typical Properties
NLGI Grade
Soap Base
Lithium Complex
Color
Blue
ASTM Worked Penetration @ 77°F
ASTM Dropping Point, °F
Kinematic Vis @ 40° C, cSt
Kinematic Vis @ 100° C, cSt
Viscosity Index
Pour Point °C
Timken OK Load, lbs min

VALVOLINE SYNPOWER GREASE
Valvoline SynPower Grease is an excellent heavy-duty and multi-purpose automotive and industrial extreme pressure grease. It consists of a lithium complex thickener in synthetic base oil and is fortified with molybdenum disulfide and other quality additives. It provides protection from high loads and may be used over a wide temperature range.
Valvoline SynPower Grease is recommended for use in disc brake and non-disc brake wheel bearings, all-purpose chassis lubrication and constant velocity joint applications.
Character: Molybdenum Disulfide, Rust and Oxidation Inhibited, Extreme Pressure Fortified
Approvals/Performance Levels
NLGI GC/LB
Typical Properties
NLGI Grade
Thickener Type
Lithium Complex
Color and Texture
Dark Gray / Buttery
ASTM Worked Penetration @ 77° F
ASTM Dropping Pt, °F
500 min.
ASTM D-1743 Rust Test
Pass
Weld Pt., kg
Load Wear Index, kg
Vis @ 100°C (cSt)
Viscosity Index
Pour Point °F
This information only applies to products manufactured in the following

If it were me I'd get the dealer to order you some of the moly-paste. IIRC it needs to be about 60% moly and no grease will have that amount in it.

Honda Moly 60 contains 60% Moly Disulphide. Only engine assembly lube contains as much or more. Use the Honda Moly 60 -- order it online if necessary. Other moly lubes contain much less moly so they won't work in that application.

Originally Posted By: ZGRider
Honda Moly 60 contains 60% Moly Disulphide. Only engine assembly lube contains as much or more. Use the Honda Moly 60 -- order it online if necessary. Other moly lubes contain much less moly so they won't work in that application.

60% moly...
shocked2.gif
Better get the Honda stuff. Valvoline greases contain less than 5%

Look here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-MOL...sQ5fAccessories

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PT1
VALVOLINE SYNPOWER GREASE
Valvoline SynPower Grease is an excellent heavy-duty and multi-purpose automotive and industrial extreme pressure grease. It consists of a lithium complex thickener in synthetic base oil and is fortified with molybdenum disulfide and other quality additives. It provides protection from high loads and may be used over a wide temperature range.
Valvoline SynPower Grease is recommended for use in disc brake and non-disc brake wheel bearings, all-purpose chassis lubrication and constant velocity joint applications.
Character: Molybdenum Disulfide, Rust and Oxidation Inhibited, Extreme Pressure Fortified
Approvals/Performance Levels
NLGI GC/LB
Typical Properties
NLGI Grade
Thickener Type
Lithium Complex
Color and Texture
Dark Gray / Buttery
ASTM Worked Penetration @ 77° F
ASTM Dropping Pt, °F
500 min.
ASTM D-1743 Rust Test
Pass
Weld Pt., kg
Load Wear Index, kg
Vis @ 100°C (cSt)
Viscosity Index
Pour Point °F
This information only applies to products manufactured in the following

This is what I use on my my Honda CX 500 shaft drive and the splines, at least its easily available. Now if I had a new bike that required something with more moly then I would do some shopping.

Originally Posted By: VicL
Honda parts for less: Honda Directline

Less than $9 plus free shipping.

Thanks, good find!

Don't skimp on the stuff. Doesn't everyone here love high content moly anyway...at least you get to use some.

What the Honda wants, the Honda gets.

The Honda dealer here doesn't carry Moly 60 and when I asked what they use he pointed to the tubes of grease on the shelf. Last time I cleaned and greased my splines I used Redline red moly grease. Who knows how it compares, I'm going back to Honda moly 60 next time just to be safe. The Redline grease works very well as a GP grease. Shifter linkage, kick stand, etc.

Good find on that Honda link! Im ordering a couple tubes tonight.

I wonder if Honda uses/recommends that stuff because almost no one EVER cleans and re-lubes the splines?

Got a blank look when I asked this question a couple years ago at some of the local dealers - and they said that they just use a "regular" grease.

Got the same blank look when I asked about antifreeze.

X10 on the Honda Moly for splines and final drive. It's really the only thing that will hold up long term. Used it on BMW, Kaw, everything.

You will ruin the drive splines using regular grease. Even the "moly fortified" greases only have like 3% moly.

The final drive splines get -very- hot and are subjected to tremendous loads that regular or synthetic greases can't stand up to.

Any 60+% moly paste will work. The only other acceptable subsitute is Dupont Krytox grease, but it's very expensive and harder to find, but bulletproof for this application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back