Honda power steering fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as they meet the honda/acura spec you will be fine. I have used several besides the OEM (Napa brand for Honda/acura)and have had zero leaks and no issues in 90K or more. I get in the habit of flushing mine about every 15K or so to keep it nice and clean.

i use all oem fluids... besides mobil 1. i probably would use amsoil if i didnt have to pay shipping but no oil is worth paying shipping

I've seen people even use atf instead of honda fluid with no problems, but any honda type fluid, or lube gaurd makes a conversion additive to make it honda fluid.

I really don't like OEM fluids, but I know I paid under four bucks for the bottle I bought a couple months back.

Honda is clear, by the way, it will be plainly obvious if you use ATF.

Last edited:
Funny that you would ask that, I was in the Honda dealer's yesterday asking exactly that question. The parts guy there said ATF will do, just drain and replace it every 3 years.

Really, The 03 TL-S has near 70K miles, 7 years, and the PS has never been changed.... same with brake fluid... maybe next year.

Originally Posted By: DeeAgeaux
Wally World has prestone PS fluid for Honda/Acura for %2.47 a bottle.

I have used that for 4 years.

i have too.....no problems....

The viscosity is different in Honda fluid. It's something like 54 cSt at 40°C and 11.3 cSt at 100°C.

Regular power steering fluid is more like 7.5 cSt at 100°C, with quite a bit of variability between brands at colder temperatures.

As mentioned above, there are some dealership alternatives. I use Valvoline Pyroil HPS-12 "Honda/Acura power steering fluid."

Originally Posted By: berniedd
Funny that you would ask that, I was in the Honda dealer's yesterday asking exactly that question. The parts guy there said ATF will do, just drain and replace it every 3 years.

I can't say that I would rely on the word of a parts guy. No offense to the parts guys, of course.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ledslinger
Do you consider it mandatory to use OEM Honda power steering fluid, or is aftermarket fluid for Hondas OK?

I do consider it mandatory. PSF is not something I "tinker" with, even with my GM.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Are there any UOAs that show the visc difference?

Not that I know of, but there are spec sheets floating around on the web.

Originally Posted By: Stu_Rock
Originally Posted By: unDummy
Are there any UOAs that show the visc difference?

Not that I know of, but there are spec sheets floating around on the web.

There are specs from 3rd party that shows Honda type PSF has a higher viscosity and a dose of detergents like Ca, Z, P, and Mg. Other than that nothing special.

Last edited:
Honda fluid is a must if you live in an area that gets cold weather.

I have tried other "Honda approved" fluid and the steering was very stiff in cold weather.

Originally Posted By: mva
Honda fluid is a must if you live in an area that gets cold weather.

I have tried other "Honda approved" fluid and the steering was very stiff in cold weather.

I've had decent succuss with after market approved Honda P/S Fluids(BARDAHL being one of them). But, I agree. I have used other P/S fluids in my older Hondas, and in the colder weather, I just about lost all steering return. Although, I didn't loose power steering, I just had to fully return the steering to center with out any assist from the unit. The one P/S fluid that caused me the most greif was STP. They one time had a P/S fluid that mentioned for use in HONDA on the front of the label. I have never seen this particular STP P/S fluid again and I can see why. Although I still do see regular STP P/S fluid. I have also used LubeGard P/S fluid for Honda and their P/S fluid addative which, turns any P/S fluid into Honda P/S fluid and it too has worked well for me. But, I must say that the Honda P/S fluid from the dealership is the best.

Originally Posted By: DeeAgeaux
Wally World has prestone PS fluid for Honda/Acura for %2.47 a bottle.

I can get a bottle Honda psf from the dealer for $3-something...considering how little you need to use to change it, why not just use the OEM stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back