Butane torch for soldering

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pistol size are good for in tight plumbing repairs. I don't know how practical they would be for making something over a tank hose deal for a hobby tinkerer type thing.

I'll second the "very handy". My wire frame glasses have two silver solder / braze repairs made with pencil torches (and yes the repairs look OK). They're good where you need a small spot of heat. I just used it to heat a stuck lug nut, then penetrating oil loosened it. A buddy at work got me a $5 butane pencil torch from Harbor Freight. It did develop a leak but I tightened the fill valve and it seems OK. I've seen Master (of heat gun fame) now offers one. I'd probably buy that one if I was shopping for one. I'ts got a larger diameter body with a bit of a base so it stands by itself and the torch head is at right angle to the body. This seems like a second generation design, a bit more practicle than the true pencil torch. The torch heads all look alike, at least in the photographs. Same manufacturer?

I'm not sure if you want something this small, but I love my little Solder-It Turbo-Lite torch that is about the size of a BIC lighter (though a little fatter). It's great for soldering automotive wiring. I'll never solder anything but circuit boards using electricity again, if I can help it! I have one that is pretty worn out after years of regular use for a variety of things, and another still in the package to keep exclusively for soldering if that other one dies and I can't find them anymore.

Solder-It Turbo-Lite

I used to get them on sale at Canadian Tire for around $6. Unfortunately, I haven't seen them in any stores for at least a couple of years. Canadian Tire sells a different make now, but it lacks range on the flame adjustment and has no way to lock it on:

Pro-Iroda Mini Torch

at2056_lg.jpg
19481023.jpg

Man! both are key-chain-able. A MacGyver "must have" if I ever saw one. Naturally, he'd turn a regular Bic lighter into one ..but..

I'm constantly using a small torch for soldering wires and heat shrink. I've tried several butane torches over the years, never found one I liked. They don't seem to last more than a couple refills before it starts to leak or the sparker dies. Plus butane doesn't burn as hot and cost more....

So I made this.
DSCF0002.jpg

Holds enough propane or even MAPP gas for about an hour of run time. Cost maybe six cents to refill.
grin2.gif

I searched and searched and searched and searched to find a refillable small propane torch, from anybody, at any cost, but could not find such a thing...

Pretty cool job there! How do you fill it?

I bought a couple of cheap ones at Harbor Freight. I will use them so I know what features I want in future.

The first one I got from them was on sale for like $1.99. Stopped working. Aint that a shock......

I need it for a boat project wiring job.

I fill it with this valve, from a standard 1# propane tank. The 1# tank is refilled with the same valve from a 20#.
grin2.gif

propane1.jpg

This is it's big brother, for startin' fires in a hurry!
shocked2.gif

propane2.jpg

(no officer, that's not a bomb
smirk2.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back