What oil for 1995 volvo 850?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
I own a 1995 Volvo 850 (non turbo) 2.4L engine, It has around 100250 miles. Its time for an oil change but I am not sure what to get.. There's so many brands, I am looking for 5w30 oil. Does the brand even matter or is it just marketing? I don't know if this is useful but I drive at least 40miles almost every weekday. Please let me know your input. Thanks.

Last edited:
Use a good synthetic and go 10K OCI's. I have the same engine in a 1996. The sump is large and if the engine is running properly (warm enough), it's not that hard on the oil.

Any brand name conventional 5W30 oil will be good for 5-6k miles for your driving conditions. I would looking for whatever is on sale.

I briefy had an 850 and miss it.

5w30 is good in the winter. 10w30 or 15w40 in the summer. and 15w40 for any make up oil. brands do matter, they all have different additives formulations. M1 is great. for dino, havoline and pennzoil seem to have strong anti wear additives, said brands as well as shell and valvoline make good 15w40s.

personally, these days i go with whatever the garage puts in it and i put in moly and zddp additives; since 5w30 is often the only grade they offer, in the summer I ask them to not fill to capacity, but one qt short, and I amend the viscosity with 15w40 of 15w50 by adding the last quart myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back