Pennzoil Platinum vs. Castrol Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edge is probably better. Its rated for long OCI, PP is not. I did consider edge for our expedition, but we ended up going with Motorcraft SS 5W-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we please get over the ads? The ads aren't what's in the bottle. Like everyone else said, Edge is designed for a longer drain interval--a claimed 15,000 miles. PP makes no such claim. So it all comes down to your style. If you like a shorter OCI, go with PP, it's a great oil. If you want something that will run you a little longer, Edge. They're both good. But please don't make your decision based on who has the least offensive marketing.

Originally Posted By: thebeast
Can we please get over the ads? The ads aren't what's in the bottle. Like everyone else said, Edge is designed for a longer drain interval--a claimed 15,000 miles. PP makes no such claim. So it all comes down to your style. If you like a shorter OCI, go with PP, it's a great oil. If you want something that will run you a little longer, Edge. They're both good. But please don't make your decision based on who has the least offensive marketing.

I don't make decisions based on least offensive marketing but BearZDefect had to bring up the topic.

I base my decision on the rebate/sales going on =) Even the worst synthetic is great oil!

Originally Posted By: thebeast

The marketing didn't stop me, I bought 10 qts of it. I also said give it some time and my prediction is it will be a BITOG darling.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
So everyone thinks PAO basestock make good lubricants?

Hmmm, I think everyone KNOWS that PAO basestock is more expensive. More expensive sometimes equals better so the default thinking is to think PAOs are better than Group IIIs until evidence shows this not to be true.

Approved by whom?
Castrol?
I think the only approvals that matter come from vehicle manufacturers, and even then, approval is contingent on the oil producer's willingness to pay for certification testing.
Looking at UOAs here of 10K runs of the two oils, there is only one for Edge. I found four for PP in the past year.
ZZman posted one from a Camry run just over 10K on Edge 10W-30. Wear looked very good, but TBN was shot at 1.5, so the oil could not have gone 15K.
In the case of PP, 10K in a Sentra yielded TBN of 3.0, 9649 miles in a Sky yielded TBN of 1.8, 10K in a Prius yieded TBN of 3.3, while 18K kilometers, near enough 11K miles, in a 3.3 liter Caravan yielded a TBN of 2.8.
If TBN is a good indication of when an oil is done, then I don't think you can say that US Edge is a long drain oil, while PP is not.
I understand that what I have posted above is not statistically significant, but based upon what we have to look at here, Edge has not distinguished itself as a better 10K choice than PP, much less 15K.
For grins, I went out to the garage, and checked PP, Edge, M1 EP and GC for approvals.
Edge, M1 EP, and PP, all in 5W-30 flavor are all API SM oils, while GC is an SL.
GC has MB 229.1/.3/.5, VW 502.00,505.00 and 503.00 as well as BMW LL-01 approvals. It seem that GC may be the real US-available long drain Castrol product.
Edge, PP and M1 EP list none of these, although PP meets Honda HTO-06.
Both Edge and EP claim on the bottle to be good for 15K or one year.
PP makes no such claims, although UOAs seem to bear out that it will hold up at least as well as Edge.
If anyone is interested, I could mine the UOA forum for 10K runs of EP and GC.
I would be curious how these two would hold up relative to Edge and PP.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
So everyone thinks PAO basestock make good lubricants?

PAO's polarity does not let it cling to metal as much as Ester, Group II, and even Group III so it might not climb as well in gear applications such as manual transmissions and differentials.

The more I look at PAO the more I think it is better in a Grp III blend than straight. I think Exxon Mobil might feel the same way.
56.gif

Originally Posted By: sangyup81
Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Here is an answer irrelevant to performance:

Choose base on which oil company you dislike less - Shell or BP.
wink.gif

I am kinda irked with SOPUS marketing. 3k OCI even if Synthetic!!??

You would rather be smacked in the leg with a dipstick?
33.gif

Originally Posted By: PT1
Originally Posted By: sangyup81
Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Here is an answer irrelevant to performance:

Choose base on which oil company you dislike less - Shell or BP.
wink.gif

I am kinda irked with SOPUS marketing. 3k OCI even if Synthetic!!??

You would rather be smacked in the leg with a dipstick?
33.gif

I know that ad wasn't meant for me
cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back