2004 Dodge Ram Cummins 5.9L

Status
Not open for further replies.

ant

I received the UOA on my truck today, 7500 miles on Valvoline Premium Blue 15w40 with no makeup oil required. Although it looks like a good report, the oil additives are not what I expected for Valvoline PB CI-4+ specification. I thought the CI-4+ formulation was virtually the same as the CI-4. A previous UOA I have from 5 years ago on PB CI-4 had 3578 calcium, 30 magnesium, 102 boron and 1480 zinc.

Where could the silver come from in this engine?

Miles on truck.........60000
Miles on oil............7500
Oil......................Valvoline Premium Blue 15W-40 CI-4+

Parameter.......Universal Average ~6500miles.... UOA Results
Aluminum.......................3.....................2
Chromium.......................2.....................1
Iron..............................23....................13
Copper...........................4.....................2
Lead.............................2.....................1
Tin...............................1.....................0
Molybdenum....................28....................31
Nickel............................0.....................0
Manganese......................0.....................0
Silver............................0.....................3
Titanium........................0.....................0
Potassium.......................3.....................4
Boron...........................81....................44
Silicon...........................7.....................3
Sodium..........................4.....................1
Calcuim.......................2758..................1949
Magnesium....................239...................794
Phosphorous..................1081...................994
Zinc...........................1272..................1184
Barium..........................1.......................0

SUS vis at 210 F............69 to 79..................68.7
cSt at 100 C................12.7-15.3.................12.61
Flashpoint....................>390.....................435
Fuel.......................... Antifreeze......................0%......................0
Water........................ Insolubles.....................<0.8....................0.1

I can't answer your questions, but I will say I like your wear numbers. It doesn;t look like its even wearing. Your air filtration is steller.

Did you actually pour the oil in yourself from a bottle that said CI4+? I know the new CJ4 VPB bottles are a little sneaky showing the CI4+ on the donut and then CJ4 off to the side...recheck. Or did someone do it and tell you it was CI4+?
It sure doesn't look like CI4+ with the low calcium, magnesium, and lower ZDDP.

Originally Posted By: D-Roc
Did you actually pour the oil in yourself from a bottle that said CI4+? I know the new CJ4 VPB bottles are a little sneaky showing the CI4+ on the donut and then CJ4 off to the side...recheck. Or did someone do it and tell you it was CI4+?

I changed it myself, and I save the containers to dispose of the oil at the next oil change. I still have the original containers and all three are CI-4+.

The ratio of atomic masses for Ca/Mg is ~1.6
So 794ppm Mg has the same molarity as 1270ppm Ca, so total "effective" divalent cation is ~3200ppm Ca. Bound to organic anions like sulfonate and phenate of course.
It looks sort of like a CJ4 but the sulfated ash level I'd guess is ~1.1-1.2%, too high for CJ4.
Half a bottle of Redline Breakin would raise Zn by 360, P by 300, Ca by 300, ash by 0.2%.

Charlie

Look at your wear numbers; awesome. You went farther than the "universal average" and yet turned in lower than average metal counts.

I think people get too caught up in the "inputs" rather than the "outputs". Your concerned about the Mg and Ca, but clearly the engine could not care less. I'd run tomato-juice if it gave results like that. About the only thing you might pick on is the ever so slight drop in vis, but again, it didn't seem to affect the wear at all. Insolubles were crazy low.

What service factor (severity) do you see in the 7.5k miles? Is this a daily driver (must be a short commute if so), or weekend truck? How heavy do you load it?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Look at your wear numbers; awesome. You went farther than the "universal average" and yet turned in lower than average metal counts.

I think people get too caught up in the "inputs" rather than the "outputs". Your concerned about the Mg and Ca, but clearly the engine could not care less. I'd run tomato-juice if it gave results like that. About the only thing you might pick on is the ever so slight drop in vis, but again, it didn't seem to affect the wear at all. Insolubles were crazy low.

What service factor (severity) do you see in the 7.5k miles? Is this a daily driver (must be a short commute if so), or weekend truck? How heavy do you load it?

My only "concern" with the Mg and Ca is that the results are so far out of the range I expected, along with the lower viscosity, that I'm wondering if this is my sample results.

This truck is my daily driver to work, with a round trip of approximately 35 miles. Not used on weekends, except for the occasional fishing trip when I tow my 6000 pound center console boat.

I use the Fleetguard air filter, Statapore fuel filter and Statapore oil filter. I clean the entire engine bay throughly before I change any of the filters, and I fill the oil filter before installation.

Originally Posted By: ant

I changed it myself, and I save the containers to dispose of the oil at the next oil change. I still have the original containers and all three are CI-4+.

Well this would be a great idea for others who use this oil on the forum. Maybe take a pic of the back of the jug and post it. I'm sure there are more than a few who would be interested in those additive amounts.
Going from this: 3578 calcium, 30 magnesium, 102 boron and 1480 zinc.
To the current is odd. But like the others mentioned, as long as your results are good, who cares. I'm sure you could go longer.

Originally Posted By: ant

Well this would be a great idea for others who use this oil on the forum. Maybe take a pic of the back of the jug and post it. I'm sure there are more than a few who would be interested in those additive amounts.
Going from this: 3578 calcium, 30 magnesium, 102 boron and 1480 zinc.
To the current is odd. But like the others mentioned, as long as your results are good, who cares. I'm sure you could go longer.

The batch codes are:I216CA, JO56CC and E226CB
2572354.jpg

20k6eci.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back