What is considered to be a good cold pour point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bigmike
A good pour point for me is around 20 degrees F.
12.gif

Me too...when it hits -10F I pour a hot coffee and stay inside...
13.gif

Quote:
What is considered to be a good cold pour point

Enough colder than your real temp extremes to make you feel that you're getting (that all too essential) "something extra" for the price you paid for it.

I would agree with Gary. Also look for good cold CCS and MRV #'s.

I also found an interesting chart when looking up Esso XD3 specs.

*NOTE* These temps are only valid with the Esso XD3 line of oils. Others may differ GREATLY! As shown in the post about the Boss oil cold pour test.

Grade Expected Low Ambient Temperature
15W-40 -29°C
10W-30 -35°C
5W-30 -40°C
0W-40 -46°C
0W-30 -48°C

taken from
http://www.esso.ca/Canada-English/Files/Products_Lubes/IOCAENCVLESEsso_Xd-3_extra.pdf

I would think it would be better to put the 15W-40 at -20C or -25C after looking at the MRV #'s but still it seems that Esso is confident in their oil.

After saying all of that I am still a real believer in 0W oils even at -20 I can tell the difference in how fast my vehicles turn over. When I choose my winter oils I put pour point on the bottom of the list of specs but it still plays into the equation.

IMO pour point is a useless cold weather performance spec. Good for marketing purposes only. Look at CCS and MRV.

Good posts guys.

Sorry i forgot to check back for a while.

Thanks for all the info.

the thing I find confusing about CCS and MRV, is that they list their performance for different temps across the different viscosities. eg.... 5w30 = 5600@ -35, 10w30 = 6200 @ -30

Originally Posted By: ryan2022
Good posts guys.

Thanks for all the info.

the thing I find confusing about CCS and MRV, is that they list their performance for different temps across the different viscosities. eg.... 5w30 = 5600@ -35, 10w30 = 6200 @ -30

The temperature values given in the CCS viscosity are directly related to the given MRV viscosity and/or the MRV LPT (funny thing is that the MRV LPT #'s on XD3 oils are a couple deg. cooler than their pour points). So the colder you can pump the oil at (MRV), the colder you can measure the cold cranking visc. (CCS).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tuckman
Originally Posted By: ryan2022
Good posts guys.

Thanks for all the info.

The temperature values given in the CCS viscosity are directly related to the given MRV viscosity and/or the MRV LPT (funny thing is that the MRV LPT #'s on XD3 oils are a couple deg. cooler than their pour points). So the colder you can pump the oil at (MRV), the colder you can measure the cold cranking visc. (CCS).

Interesting. That makes it a bit more clear....now ive got soem research to do!

Thanks

Who is his or hers right mind would be in a car at -30 ?.Possibly someone who was drunk or someone who was dead or Sarah Palin spying on Russia.

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Who is his or hers right mind would be in a car at -30 ?

If it was -30 out, and I had to go somewhere, I would be in a car.
wink.gif

Who is his or hers right mind would be in a car at -30 ?.Possibly someone who was drunk or someone who was dead or Sarah Palin spying on Russia.

-37C overnight last night in my neck of the woods.
It's the drunks you see out walking on the road in the -30's. the rest of us are in our cars/trucks staying warm.

Who is his or hers right mind would be in a car at -30 ?.

Employed people?

Who is his or hers right mind would be in a car at -30 ?.

Just because it is cold does not mean places shut down. No matter the temp, I still have to show up at work. Believe it or not, cars will start in very cold weather!
10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back