Some Filtration Comparisons from the Bench

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe

I supplied him with a PL14610 and a PL14459 so maybe you'll get to see your wish come true :p

Excellent!
thumbsup2.gif

Oh I guess there is one of those 40 microners in there. Thanks ThirdEye! Your on top of it! I'll make a note of it on the results page.

Originally Posted By: Craddosk
Sounds interesting! Though, wouldn't the cloud of dust require "somewhat" consistent dispersal of the dust, and a set amount of dust? Maybe a set amount of dust on the filter, being pulled through by the vaccuum and gravity, if the dust cloud can be emulated. Can't wait to see it!

Indeed. I will probably have to have the test filter in between two boxes of some sort.
I am thinking in general right now to weight the dust with my reloading powder scale and blow it into the airstream with a venturi device from an air compressor. This is how they do it in SAE tests, IIRC.

The hard part will be capturing the dust that makes it through in a even-handed and meaningful way.
I may try comparing color variation on an oiled back-up filter to catch the pass-through dust, and I may see about a weighing a small vacuum cleaner style HEPA filter before and after to see what it collects after the filter under test.
I have some research to do first.

So, based on your tests so far, which filters would be your top 5 based on filtration,restriction, and over all construction?

Ah yes. So it was.
I'd put the Donalson really as an equal to the PureOne in flow and filtration. Not enough difference in flow in this test to indicate to me that there will be any measurable difference in oil pressure in a normal engine. (and most filters probably are really fairly invisible to the pressure anyway) Filtration showed basically equal.
I think the Donaldson by virtue of its thick, depth media and screen media backing will hold up better and store more dirt on extended oil and filter change intervals.
IMO, I would save money and go with PureOne if I were changing at no more than maybe 5000-6000 miles--or once or twice a year for low mileage vehicles.
For Extended OCI, I definitely think the Donaldson is worth the price.

Originally Posted By: Bruce T
For anyone searching for the ratings, see Page 15, 4th post.

thank you

I don't thinks so.
I am pretty busy lately and still have a dozen filters setting here I haven't gotten to yet. I had hoped to this week, but looks like next week after finals.

On topic:

I guessing a fleetguard with the built-in bypass will do only marginally better than other filters in this particular test. It is designed for long-term/extended interval use, however. That's when the finer points of multi-pass efficiency, capacity, and the affects of a bypass stage come into play.

Originally Posted By: Kaboomba
Hey I hear ya

Where do you go? What's your major? When will you graduate?

ISU, Industrial Technology major. I hope in summer 2011.
Sadly, I already have about 135 college credits in my lifetime, but they don't all match up to make a [censored] degree.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
haha ...it censored the abbreviation for Bachelor of Science!

lol.gif
... nice.

DSC01725.jpg

DSC01727.jpg

DSC01726.jpg

Here are the preliminary measurements while we wait for the test tubes to indicate filtration:
We have here some Honda filters courtesy of ThirdeYe with approximate measurement and flow scores.
(The flow score is relative based on the lowest cubic centimeters/second being a 1.0, a 2.0 flowed twice the volume etc. This is a gravity fill calculated approximation in a WD40 bath)

These are the little “thimble” filters that are the newest style:
Honda OES 7B10(?) –Media 131 sq in, medium/course (element flow score 2.8)
Hamp H1540-PLC-505 –Media 126 sq in, fine (element flow score 2.8)
Proline PPL14610 –Media 90 sq in, fine (element flow score 3.5)
PureONE PL14610 (old style with blue can) —Media 100 sq in, very fine (element flow score 1.0)
Fram XG7317—Media 58 sq in, course and very thick (element flow score 1.1)
Fram TG7317 –Media 115 sq in, fine (element flow score 1.6)

These are the traditional larger sized:
Purolator L14459 –Media 83 sq in, fine (element flow score 3.2)
PureONE PL14459 (new style yellow) –Media 84 sq in, very fine (element flow score 1.6)
Proline PPL14459 –Media 80 sq in, fine (element flow score 3.2)
NAPA Gold 1334 –Media 101 sq in, medium/fine (element flow score 2.0)

Notice that generally the small thimbles have more media?
They could put more in the big cans but they didn't.

Originally Posted By: river_rat

These are the traditional larger sized:
Purolator L14459 –Media 83 sq in
PureONE PL14459 (new style yellow) –Media 84 sq in
Proline PPL14459 –Media 80 sq in
NAPA Gold 1334 –Media 101 sq in

By looking at the photos, it looks like the NAPA Gold 1334 has less pleats (but says 101 sq in) than the three 14459 filters (says 80~84 sq in). Is that a correct measurement? ... the NG 1334 element doesn't look any taller sitting next to the three 14459s.
21.gif

You rightly point out that the PL14610 is the old-style blue can that is no longer available. Do we know that nothing but the color of the can has changed since they moved to the grippy yellow can?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back