Short life span on my VW headlights

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get this low-voltage DRL thing. My VW's low beams stay on all the time; they do not get any brighter when I turn the headlight switch on. What am I missing?

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
I don't get this low-voltage DRL thing. My VW's low beams stay on all the time; they do not get any brighter when I turn the headlight switch on. What am I missing?

They actually do get brighter. The voltage is reduced for DRL.

Originally Posted By: DC_Stewart
They actually do get brighter. The voltage is reduced for DRL.

I would say low beam drl is about 75-80% output. If you shine the headlights against a wall and compare drl and low beams on, you can see a little bit of difference.

the DRL output is only around 95% output. It is very difficult to tell between DRL and regular low beams. Some people's eyes can be more sensitive to light fluctuations and can tell.

You guys are probably right, but I swear the VW's low-beams don't get any brighter when the switch is turned on. I guess my eyes are not sensitive enough to notice the difference. Well that and the fact that it really doesn't matter that much to me.....

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
You guys are probably right, but I swear the VW's low-beams don't get any brighter when the switch is turned on. I guess my eyes are not sensitive enough to notice the difference. Well that and the fact that it really doesn't matter that much to me.....

Perhaps you've found your problem. Maybe you've got high resistance in your harness or connectors or relay that's fouling up the proper voltage (which someone above said tends to cause shortened bulb life).

My ex-wife's Volvo V70 burns up lo-beam bulbs weekly. It's ridiculous. Dealer can't figure it out, private Volvo repair shop can't figure it out. I've been thinking it was a voltage problem, but didn't think it would be caused by too little voltage.

Seems to be an endemic VW issue; the number of these cars with 1 "out" headlight is noticeable; I've seen an EOS apparent with the same issue.

It must be a VW issue. Have any of you VW owners looked to see if there was a recall by any chance? My 97 Geo Prizm (Cheap Corolla) although it has 168,680 miles and keeps ticking, but I digress. The original high beams lasted 6 years, and they weren't burned out just dim so I replaced them. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought that most cars had the Hi-beams setup for DRL usage, at least mine are. Until I can get a new wiring harness I substituted high beam bulbs 9005's in place of my low beams. I painted a chrome tip on them, and it seems to help.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Seems to be an endemic VW issue; the number of these cars with 1 "out" headlight is noticeable; I've seen an EOS apparent with the same issue.

You're right, and the issue is the working one goes out very soon after the first one, leaving you in a world of hurt.
TDIclub members told me early that when one goes, replace both and keep the good one for a spare. Right next to the unopened package of two bulbs in the glove box.

It's a VW thing short life on light bulbs, it seems I'm changing light bulbs all the time on VWs. If you notice it's always the drivers side.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tangojetta
It's a VW thing short life on light bulbs, it seems I'm changing light bulbs all the time on VWs. If you notice it's always the drivers side.

The driver's side bulb is a bear to change due to the location of the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back