15w40 in winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, everyone, this is my first post here.

I am about to go through my first winter with my 2008 Ford F250 with the 6.4L diesel engine. The manual states that I need 5w40 oil if ambient temps are going to get below 20 degrees frequently, which they will this winter in OH.

The problem is that 5w40 seems to be a synthetic only grade, and costs more than twice as much as regular dino 15w40. I can get my 15 quarts of MC 15w40 for less than $36.00 at wal-mart, but the cheapest 5w-40 is Rotella synthetic which would cost me nearly $80.00 just for the oil.

With the fuel dilution problems on the EPA 2007 engines, I don't feel comfortable following the suggested 10,000 mile OCIs; some on FTE have reported as high as 13% fuel dilution at that interval. So going with a synthetic for the sake of longer OCIs doesn't make sense, so I'd like to stick with conventional dino oil every 5,000 miles.

Do you guys think I'd be okay with 15w40 and using a my block heater for cold starts below 20 degrees? Or should I bite the bullet and get the expensive stuff?

If it were mine, I know it would have 5W40 in it. It would likely be OK w/ the 15W40, but considering what that pickup is worth, why not treat it right?

Id probably lean that way too.

Could you move to a 10w40 diesel oil? Castrol GTX is a good one

Last edited:
Greetings and
welcome2.gif

You'll be fine with the block heater. Also, I know it is on the thick side for winter, but the Delo 15W40 and SAE30 HDEO oils I use in summer in my Jeeps have a pour point of -24*F. That's pretty close to typical 5 and 10 W30 dino oils. It looks like the Motorcraft's PP is -36*F. That's pretty impressive!
http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.co...uper%20Duty.pdf

I think that in the event you are unable to use your block heater (after work, or a trip) an unassisted start or two will be fine.

I have also seen older bottles of Rotella T 0W30 around here in stores too. Does your manual have a chart with several grades and temperature ranges? I'd bet you could use 0W30 or 5W30 until April.

Thanks for the replies!

Ryan, it can get below zero up here. Typical lows are in the single digits and teens, though. I was thinking that with the block heater the oil and coolant temps should be around 100 degrees, so cold starts with 15w40 oil wouldn't be a problem, but I'm not sure.

The viscosity chart in my manual states that 15w40 is fine for anything above 20 degrees, 5w40 is good for cold weather through -20. 10w30 can be used up to 40 degrees, but you can't tow or haul with this oil, so it's out of the question.

I just wish I could find 5-quart jugs of synthetic at wal-mart! If the M1 5w-40 TDT was availible in 5-quart jugs like the M1 passenger car oils, it'd be a no-brainer. But $90 for oil seems a bit steep...

You could check the price on Rotella T5 synthetic blend 10W40.
Is your vehicle garaged? If not, you could buy a 200W Kat's magnetic oil pan heater which will warm 15W40 enough on a 0F. night. But take into account 14hrs X 200W = 2.8kwh ~ $0.35/night. And it's not a good idea to leave the heater on when driving, it may fall off. Arctic Fox also makes 250W glue-on flexible pad heaters but the surface needs to be totally clean before applying it. Steam clean, then sand, then wipe w/isopropyl alcohol.
0F. is around the lower edge of 15W40's safe usable range, it is rated So with a small pan heater for nights around 0F. and colder I think 15W40 is workable.
As long as it never gets below -20F., I suspect a pan heater only heats the mass of oil 20-30 F. deg or so.

Charlie

I bought the expensive Petro Canada E Duron synthetic 0w-40 HDEO and I was glad to have it in the sump this morning.

The truck started without any assistance and without being plugged in this morning at -31C. If you're running the diesel in these conditions it's a good feeling having that artic rated oil in the sump.

If you ever get north of the border, you can get a 20L pail of E-Duron for around $125. Esso has a similar product (XD-3 0w-40 HDEO) in the same price range. I don't think you can get either of those in the states.

I'm sure there's both an Esso and Petro Can outlet just across the bridge from Detriot in Windsor.

RTS is about as inexpensive as you're going to find for a "synthetic" lube that's CJ-4 rated.

I don't believe that the Castrol GTX product mentioned a few posts above is CJ-4 rated; stay clear of that. I could be wrong, though. Check before using.

Are you allowed per warranty to run 10w-30? I believe that you are. If so, I know that MC has some of that grade, but you're likely better off using either Delo, Delvac or Rotella in that grade. Yes, they do exist, although you might have to search around or order it. Check you local farm supply places. My local Rural King has Rotella 10w-30 year round in gallon jugs and quarts! I ran Rotella 10w-30 and got excellent UOA results last year in my Dmax. I got mine at Menards last fall @ $8.99/gallon on sale! My local AAP will order it for retail at $12.99/gallon, but that's still a lot cheaper than $20/gallon or so for RTS, or $7/qrt for Mobil 1 TDT.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TomB985
But $90 for oil seems a bit steep...

If I paid that kind of money for a truck, I would want every advantage I could get on my side for cold weather protection, and that would include spending an extra $50 or so for the TDT to run.

Welcome to the forum :)

I know I'll get flamed for this, but you spent HOW much for a 2008 full-size truck, and $80-90 for oil is too steep?

If you're THAT far beyond your means, maybe you shouldn't have bought the truck?

Hmmmm......?

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I know I'll get flamed for this, but you spent HOW much for a 2008 full-size truck, and $80-90 for oil is too steep?

If you're THAT far beyond your means, maybe you shouldn't have bought the truck?

Hmmmm......?

That's exactly what I was trying to say LOL

I would vote for the 5W40 to save money!! Last winter we set cold records (-30 to -40F depending on location) in this area, the "true believers" in heavier oil all got caught with:

Missed a day of work
wives missed work, truck behind car
expensive towing
then, they decided to change to lighter oil, so they spent the money anyway!!

hate2work and addyguy, I see your point.

I guess I'm still in a form of sticker shock on winter maintenance on a turbodiesel. I've always owned gas trucks before this, and oil was cheap, things were simple, and life was good. It's not that I can't afford it so much as I'd rather not spend it!

Last night, before I ever posted this, I had my wife pick up 4 gallons of M1 TDT. The $90 worth of oil had me thinking, is it really worth it?

Good man.

otherwise, if youre like me, every time you turn the key when the temp drops, you'll be wincing.

Good choice on the M1

If youre concerned about fuel dillution while using longer drain intervals, maybe do a UOA or two to check for it.

Last edited:
http://www.arctic-fox.com/pdf/pc23.pdf
http://www.fivestarmanufacturing.com/Kat_s

These are links to 200-300W magnetic pan heaters and 250-500W glue-on pan heater pads.
I agree with all the above sentiment trying to convince you to use 10W30/40 or 5W40, I have a scientific article showing that it takes 35sec for 5W40 to reach full pressure at the rocker arms at +5F.; it takes 96 sec for 15W40 at that temp.
SAE Technical Article 2000-01-2949 "Preventing Catastrophic Cam Lobe Failures in Low-Emission Diesel Engines".

Charlie

Id have at least a 10w- oil in there, if not a 5w-.

If you look at most viscosity vs. temperature charts, technically you can do 15w-40 down to about 0F.

Thanks for the links, M37charlie! I'll have to take a look at those if I find myself in a colder place than OH this winter.

I'm currently in the Army Reserve, and I'll be likely moving in the near future to become a recruiter. I don't know where or when I'll be moving, and this thread answered lots of questions about cold weather lubrication.

Thanks everyone!

Originally Posted By: TomB985
hate2work and addyguy, I see your point.

I guess I'm still in a form of sticker shock on winter maintenance on a turbodiesel. I've always owned gas trucks before this, and oil was cheap, things were simple, and life was good. It's not that I can't afford it so much as I'd rather not spend it!

Last night, before I ever posted this, I had my wife pick up 4 gallons of M1 TDT. The $90 worth of oil had me thinking, is it really worth it?

Good choice on the TDT!

I wasn't trying to be entirely antagonistic - just asking for a person to take a step back, and put things in perspective. When you do, some choices go from being questionable to a no-brainer......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back