Switching to synthetic in 235K + engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I switched my engine to synthetic at ~130k, was perfectly fine. It was ran the first 130k/14 years on conventional 5W-30 from the dealer changed every 6 months/5,000 miles. The oil pan gasket eventually did start to weep at about ~150k miles, but it was probably already on its way out. It's not enough to drip on the ground or even down the pan, just slightly damp around the gasket. All I do is wipe it clean when I'm under there doing an oil change and repeat after every oil change. It hasn't gotten any worse. Also, it could be coincidence because I did use two rounds of Auto-RX between the 130k-150k and it may have cleaned the false seal left by the conventional that was run for over a decade.

Boy, it would be interesting to see what a Auto-RX or MMO treatment would do in these vehicles, especially the Ford. If you have been keeping up on OCI's, and it's running well, it probably is NOT too far gone...

You should try PYB and the A-RX treatment.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I switched my engine to synthetic at ~130k, was perfectly fine.

After I bought my 05 Dakota w/ 4.7l and about 90k, I switched to valvoline synpower. I took it on a 2 hour trip and when I came home, oil was all over the front of the engine compartment. The front crankshaft seal started to leak. I figured I would be ok because I had no leaks and the truck was only 4 years old. Now, I got the seal fixed and I just run Castrol GTX high mileage. I will never risk changing to sythetic again with anything close to or over 100k. IMO, its a hit or miss and if you feel the risk would be worth it in changing to sythetic, then go for it and dont look back. Good luck.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your comments, well presented and gave me a lot to think about. Although I agree with pretty much what all of you said, although fuzzy on some of the abbv's, going to a syn blend which no one really mentioned. Cost is cheaper than the Pennz. Going to try a 5w-30 syn blend in the Dodge, thinking of taking it to 5k, filter change and quart of super tech to 10k.....if that makes any sense... not sure about the Ford. It is the wife's truck and if I change the wiper blades and it starts running rough, I did something wrong....Also have a 2000 GT Mustang with 65K, Pennz 5-20 and just switched it to Super Tech 5-30, again for cost reasons. So, more comments welcome, and can someone fill me in on these abbv's? Is there a listing somewhere?
PYB ?
PP ?
MMO = Magic Mystery Oil?
IMO ?
OCI = Oil Change Interval?

PYB is Pennzoil Yellow Bottle
PP is Pennzoil Platinum
MMO is Marvel Mystery Oil
IMO is "in my opinion" usually
OCI is oil change interval.

There are a few threads with explanations of all the abbreviations used on here, it is quite confusing at first, after a while they just click.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
I'd run what got you here. Why change?
21.gif

Also I've run everything under the sun and no sludge so that old wife's tale can die.

Using a quart every 500 miles the last thing I'd want to do is run a high priced oil.

Save your money for the rebuild on the Ford!

IF you want to change I'd recommend the normal Maxlife oil.

As far as the Dodge, again run what got you there!

Take care, bill

PS:
welcome2.gif

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back