How to clean a MAF sensor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys, What is the proper way to clean a MAF sensor? Should i blow it off with compress air? dip it in Alcohol? etc , how do you do it ? Also should i disconnect the ba

CRC makes a special MAF sensor cleaner in an aerosol can, like electronics cleaner that dries off real quickly. Some people use carb cleaner but its not recommended.

Originally Posted By: mechjames
CRC makes a special MAF sensor cleaner in an aerosol can, like electronics cleaner that dries off real quickly. Some people use carb cleaner but its not recommended.

Their mass airflow sensor cleaner may be identical to their brake cleaner -- both are formulated not to leave behind any residue. Isopropyl alcohol will leave a residue. (But maybe better than nothing if you're just trying to see if you can get a few more miles out of a MAF that's failing.)

I used to use 91% isopropanol in a spray bottle. It worked great. I haven't needed to clean a MAF sensor in several years, though. Since then, CRC came out with their MAF sensor cleaner.

I looked at the CRC MSDS, and it is very different from brake cleaner. It is 81-91% hexanes, 5-10% something proprietary called "COzol 204," and 3-8% CO_2 propellant.

I can tell that there is methanol in the "COzol," but I don't know what else there is.

Thanks a lot guys, i will lookout for the crc stuff, sounds like a good deal.

No the MAF is not failing , i would just like to clean it up as a part of my overall maintenance, so it doesnt get too dirty and fail.

could crc stuff used to clean the PVC valve also.

Thanks Tundraz

The difference with the MAF cleaner is that both the active ingredients and the propellant are non-chlorinated compounds that will not produce poisonous gasses if burned.

That may not be true of brake part cleaner, and the CRC Quick Dry electrical cleaner is almost identical in composition to the MAF cleaner, but the electrical cleaner uses a propellant that will ruin your day if you smell it's fumes when it's burning.

Use the dedicated spray MAF cleaner.
The can will last a long time for your car.
It leaves no residue.
Others usually do.
Even if a spray electrical cleaner says that it 'leaves no residue', it also says it leaves a protective coating!
Take the unit off the car, and spray it . Both sides, if possible.

It depends on the product. I know for a fact that CRC Quick Dry Contact Cleaner leaves no residue..in fact I use it to clean halogen bulbs before installation.

Something like TV Tuner Cleaner (or whatever that type of product is sold as now that TV tuners don't need cleaning) will leave a residue, as will products like Deoxit D5.

That CRC cleaner says on it 'not for use on energized surfaces'.
What does that mean?
]This product may be just fine for MAFs - I don't know.]

If you have a really fouled MAF, sure, go ahead and use BRake cleaner or whatever.
If you have a choice, get stuff made for it.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
What does that mean?

My understanding is that it means you should disconnect the clip plug on the MAF before cleaning.

I do that (plus disconnect the bat. terminal as well - for safe measure) and have never had a problem.

Use the dedicated spray MAF cleaner.
The can will last a long time for your car.
It leaves no residue.
Others usually do.
Even if a spray electrical cleaner says that it 'leaves no residue', it also says it leaves a protective coating!
Take the unit off the car, and spray it . Both sides, if possible.

What he said.

Per use, its maybe 10 or 15 cents per, and a can will last a LONG time.

I like to use a product specifically designed for the application - moreso when the price is this low (about $5 per can.).

What does that mean?

That means it's flammable. So is the CRC MAF spray, for that matter.

Difference is the CRC MAF spray uses CO2 as the propellant wheras CRC QD Electrical Contact Cleaner uses Difluoroethane (which is a flammable propellant).

What does that mean?
]This product may be just fine for MAFs - I don't know.]

If you have a really fouled MAF, sure, go ahead and use BRake cleaner or whatever.
If you have a choice, get stuff made for it.

You should be very careful about what you put on the delicate electrical sensors contained within the MAF sensor. Using the wrong product WILL DAMAGE the sensors!!!!!!!!

There are two different types wire sensors and film sensors, if you use CRC MAF cleaner you won't have a problem with either. '

ALSO important to disconnect the wiring harness from the MAF before spraying it as you could short the sensors out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back