Mobil 1 & GM Racing Marketing

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Factory_Fill/Corvette_Performance.aspx

Quote:
Mobil 1 Pioneers the Performance of GM’s Racing Teams
HomePerformance

From the original Corvette LT1 to the 505 HP Corvette Z06
and now ECOTEC Supercharged LSJ and Turbocharged LNF engines

The General Motors (GM) Chevrolet Corvette race program can trace it origins back 50 years to the original V-8 engines that powered the company’s range of road cars. GM’s desire to demonstrate its engineering ability at the highest level led, in 1996, to the formation of the Mobil 1 supported Corvette Racing program.

“When I was challenged by Herb Fishel to establish the Corvette Racing team, the decision over which motor oil we would run was one I didn’t need to linger over,” said Doug Fehan, GM Program Manager, Corvette Racing. “Mobil 1 has an unrivalled record with engine designers and tuners. The decision was a simple one.”

As Mike Atkins, Purchasing/Customer Service Manager for Pratt & Miller, explains, “Mobil 1 has always been highly regarded throughout GM by the GTO, Cadillac and GTS V8 race program teams. We needed a lubricant to initially maximize power and reliability of the Corvette’s road-orientated engine but also provide a stable platform from which to help develop its potential.” Mobil 1 5W-30 is also currently used by the ECOTEC Powered Pontiac Solstice GXP Drift Team and Cobalt SS Sports Compact Drag Racing teams.

During this decade of development, the team has continued using Mobil 1 lubricants on the strength of the tests undertaken. “Why Mobil 1 after 10 years? “asks Doug Fehan. “Well, nobody’s developed anything better.”

Maximizing performance parameters

The reasons why GM technicians choose to work with Mobil 1 products is better understood by reviewing testing and race conditions. Mobil 1 products have long held a reputation for performing in extreme conditions, a reputation built through participation in many of the world’s most arduous racing series, including Formula 1, NASCAR, drag racing, and now Formula D Drifting and Sports Compact Drag Racing. Any race team looking for an instant-win solution to their lubrication needs is reassured by having access to technology developed under a wide variety of driving conditions.

What distinguishes Mobil 1 from other products is the unique combination of base stocks and additives. Mobil 1 contains high-performance synthetic fluids, with superior low and high temperature performance properties (as a result of their higher viscosity index). Additionally Mobil 1's component blended formulation contains additives designed to maximize engine performance.

ExxonMobil was first approached in early 1990s when GM was seeking a high-temperature performing lubricant. In response, ExxonMobil created a high-temperature performance specification based around the performance capabilities of Mobil 1. Since then this specification of Mobil 1 has been used as factory fill for Corvettes, Cadillacs, Saturn Red Line, Cobalt SS, Pontiac Solstice GXP, and a number of other high-temperature performance engines for GM. Although similar in some respects to the road car’s requirements, the GM Racing team’s needs are based upon three performance parameters: outright power, improved engine reliability and component durability. The teams are only interested in a lubricant offering the best combination of all three.

“Our engines must be fast,” Fehan explains. “But there’s no point adding 3bhp and risking 24-hour reliability. Continuous testing has shown Mobil 1 offers the best combination of power, reliability and durability. ”

As these high-performance track experiences can attest, Mobil 1 has proven its ability to withstand extremely high temperatures, and continue to offer the same level of engine protection and performance.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Season Sweep for Teague and Amsoil ... Would Teague have done better with Mobil 1 as a sponser?

How could he have done better than a season sweep?

O.K, O.K a season sweep would be better with PP
27.gif
!!!!! It is all marketing . Do you think Team Teague could have done the win with M1 how about Redline? or Schaeffers? Good thing Tide laundry detergent didn't sponser him . Season sweep for Teague and Tide ,,,Well it has a certain ring to it ,,Teague and Tide ,, Teague and Tide ,, Teague and Tide. Yeah is works.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Of course not. My point was more defensive than offensive.
I am not knocking either oil but any top quality oil would work . Which is what I am trying to get across. Team Teague could to their wins with any proper oil.

I wouldn't kid about something like this.

...but you will make declarative statements with no substantiation of any kind, let alone evidence.

At least if you were kidding, it'd be honest...

I am not knocking either oil but any top quality oil would work . Which is what I am trying to get across. Team Teague could to their wins with any proper oil.

How do you know?

I agree that the marketing is meaningless. Point is, saying "any top quality oil would work" is no better.

You're right. It could be Teague's success is partly due to Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

How do you know?

I agree that the marketing is meaningless. Point is, saying "any top quality oil would work" is no better.
I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back