Rotella T6 - with JASO-MA? Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
100_0333.jpg

100_0335.jpg

What's That? Does that say 'JASO-MA' on the back label? Under the 'MEETS API SERVICE' section at the very end?

No Way! Really? They finally did it?

Last edited:
I'm sure it met the specs in the past, but just recently got certified. Pretty stout oil, especially the new stuff.

Oh yeah, great stuff! I used their other formulations (old 5w40 and 15w40) in motorcycles in the past with no problems at all - as have many here on BITOG.

We all here (most of us, anyway) knew it was safe to use in a wet-clutch application whether they certified it or not - good to see it finally getting the certification it deserves.

I finally saw the T6 in my Walmart, but only the quart containers. Same price as the RTS at $5.77, though.

Now, if only they made 5-quart jugs of it: I do the work on my friend's 1992 Kawasaki Ninja (mostly just oil/filter changes, as the bike is in remarkably good working order), but the bike takes 4.2 quarts of oil. Although 0.2 quarts isn't a huge amount, we'd really not like to have the oil be too low, particularly in an older bike.

It doesn't make sense to buy a gallon of oil at a cheap price, then buy a quart at full price just to make up a 0.2 quart difference.

We ended up using Mobil1 High Mileage 10W-40 for the last change, as it was cheaper than the gallon of Rotella + 1 quart, and it came in a 5 quart jug.

*grumbles quietly to himself*

That said, how do conventional oils hold up in motorcycles? His owner's manual says to change the oil every 3,000 miles, so I'd hope even cheap oil wouldn't shear down too much in that time. With the conventional Rotella being considerably cheaper than the synthetic, would it be a better choice?

He doesn't want to fork over big bucks for the Mobil motorcycle oil, so the Rotella seems to be a great deal...if they sold it in 5 quart jugs. Of course, motorcycles aren't the target market for Rotella, so it doesn't surprise me that they'd sell it in anything other than gallon jugs.

I need to check if they make it in xW-50 -- we're using the 40-weight M1 HM right now, but are a bit worried about when things heat up in the Arizona summers. The bike calls for a range of oils, including xW-50, so we'd prefer to go for the heavier oil for better protection.

Ah, decisions, decisions...

Finally! It is kind of relieving to finally see it on the bottle and confirms what alot of us here knew just by doing a little research...

Ok..After seeing this I had to go to walmart to see for myself...They had the new Rotella 15W40....Sure enough it has the JASO MA rating on it as well! They still didn't have the T6 or T5 on the shelves but it shouldn't be too long...

I think if it was jaso certified it would have a registration number on the bottle.

Before the flaming starts I'm NOT saying it wouldn't pass the test but a bunch of oils say "meets the requirements" or "recommended for" ect... and that could get you into trouble with warranty claims. I do trust shell and know that some folks like this oil in their bikes.

The oil I'm using in my bike (Brad Penn 10/40 motorcycle oil) says ma-2 on it and has no number as well but my warranty is long gone. Its also cheaper than the HDEOs.

I have a feeling this is gonna open a huge can of speculations at a lot of forums. I post a lot at Yamaha Motorcycle Forums and I own a 2009 Star 1300 Tourer and of the few times when I suggested using HDEO I was scoffed, well I have been a diesel mechanic for over three decades and I do know that this oil is probably the sturdiest available period.On a recent engine case job on my other bike a 1980 Honda CX 500 I used Totella, runs great and shifts like a dream.

I suggest now might be a good time to either stock up AND buy stock literally, as is always with the oil companies when word gets out and bikers start emptying the shelves this stuff will go up in price, mark my words.

Originally Posted By: heypete

That said, how do conventional oils hold up in motorcycles? His owner's manual says to change the oil every 3,000 miles, so I'd hope even cheap oil wouldn't shear down too much in that time. With the conventional Rotella being considerably cheaper than the synthetic, would it be a better choice?

I'd use the regular Rotella T 15w40. Shouldn't be a problem in the heat of summer. Some on here change it every 3,000 - some more often. Just have to see how it holds up in that particular bike I guess. I ran their 15w40 in my '95 Virago with no problem at 3,000 OCI's. Of course, it's not the performance engine that Kawasaki has though.

IIRC, that Ninja is liquid cooled. The Virago I had was a typical Air-cooled V-Twin. Should be no problem on that Ninja.

Last edited:
I would use regular rotella as well. Some guys on here have uoa's posted with 8K on the fill. Long commuters of course but still.

I would honestly like to see the synthetic Rotella T another grade heavier going to a 50 weight rating for air cooled engines.
Myself neither of my bikes are air cooled and thus either the 15-40 or 5-40 works for me. The real selling point here is that its available at stores like wallyworld which are all across the country unlike trying to find a hole in the wall distributor for Amsoil. I can find mary-jane houses easier than trying to buy Amsoil in Alaska.

Originally Posted By: Silverado6x6
I have a feeling this is gonna open a huge can of speculations at a lot of forums. I post a lot at Yamaha Motorcycle Forums and I own a 2009 Star 1300 Tourer and of the few times when I suggested using HDEO I was scoffed, well I have been a diesel mechanic for over three decades and I do know that this oil is probably the sturdiest available period.On a recent engine case job on my other bike a 1980 Honda CX 500 I used Totella, runs great and shifts like a dream.

I suggest now might be a good time to either stock up AND buy stock literally, as is always with the oil companies when word gets out and bikers start emptying the shelves this stuff will go up in price, mark my words.

I posted that the new JASO stuff was out on a motorcycle forum that has a bandit section and it was only a few hours till the resident oil multilevel marketeer decided to chime in and put down the old formula with misinformation and as far as I know he doesn't even have a bandit...
BTW, I had to go to Walmart last night just to see if it was there and the new stuff was out and they had quite a bit of it....My wife and I went grocery shopping the same store today and I went back to the oil section to check it out again and alot of the new JASO MA bottles had been sold already....

Originally Posted By: heypete
Now, if only they made 5-quart jugs of it: I do the work on my friend's 1992 Kawasaki Ninja (mostly just oil/filter changes, as the bike is in remarkably good working order), but the bike takes 4.2 quarts of oil. Although 0.2 quarts isn't a huge amount, we'd really not like to have the oil be too low, particularly in an older bike.

It doesn't make sense to buy a gallon of oil at a cheap price, then buy a quart at full price just to make up a 0.2 quart difference.

We ended up using Mobil1 High Mileage 10W-40 for the last change, as it was cheaper than the gallon of Rotella + 1 quart, and it came in a 5 quart jug.

*grumbles quietly to himself*

He doesn't want to fork over big bucks for the Mobil motorcycle oil, so the Rotella seems to be a great deal...if they sold it in 5 quart jugs. Of course, motorcycles aren't the target market for Rotella, so it doesn't surprise me that they'd sell it in anything other than gallon jugs.

I need to check if they make it in xW-50 -- we're using the 40-weight M1 HM right now, but are a bit worried about when things heat up in the Arizona summers. The bike calls for a range of oils, including xW-50, so we'd prefer to go for the heavier oil for better protection.

Ah, decisions, decisions...

Easy, hold back the OCD in you and just don't do a complete drain. After the steady stream is done draining, pop the plug back in. My dirtbike takes 1.05, so I either run low or don't get every last drop out.

I doubt even a UOA could tell.

that extra quart will last through 4 oil changes, so the price per change isn't as bad as it sounds.
It's also useful if you ever need to top off the tank between changes.

Last edited:
I saw the new 15-40 Rotella T at my local Walmart here in Alaska yesterday in a 2.5 gallon jug for $27, that might be a higher price than the lower 48 but a bargain for me.

Yes thats right it was NOT a one gallon or a 5 quart jug but a whole 2.5 gallons.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back