UOA - 99 7.3L Delo 400 5W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most recent report on my 1999 7.3L using Delo 400 5W40 CI-4 Synthetic and Oilguard Bypass. Run was 7608km mostly towing my 10k 5th Wheel.

ALUMINUM - 2
CHROMIUM - 0
IRON - 15
COPPER - 5
LEAD - 6
TIN - 0
MOLYBDENUM - 7
MANGANESE - 2
NICKEL - 0
SILVER - 0
TITANIUM - 0
POTASSIUM - 7
BORON - 13
SILICON - 7
SODIUM - 4
CALCIUM - 3920
MAGNESIUM - 22
PHOSPHORUS - 1211
ZINC - 1260
BARIUM - 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F - 64.9
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C - 11.59
Flashpoint in °F - 400
Fuel % - 1.0
Antifreeze % - 0
Water % - 0
Insolubles % - 0

Quite happy with the results. This engine is just hard on oil with all of the mods done to it. (Injectors, HPOP, Chip)

Going to go back to Delo 400 15W40 and change it every 8000km strictly due to the shearing. Synthetic is just not cost effective at this low of an OCI.

I agree with the move back to dino HDEO; no sense in expensive lubes if you're going to OCI so frequently.

I'd also be interested to know how much/little the OG bypass is doing for you. Bypass fitlers are awesome at extending the life of the fluid. But if you OCI so often, I see little sense in that as well, given your OCI plan. Your insolubles and particles will not accumulate to a significant amount in such a short OCI.

You might be pleasantly supprised how economical a "normal" oil/filter plan can be, and still provide excellent protection.

Last edited:
The oilguard bypass came off too. Just going with a Fleetguard Stratapore and the 15W40 and see how it goes.

In that 7608 km's of mileage, how much oil consumption did you have?
Reason I ask, is I've run both those oils, and found the Delo 5W40 to show higher consumption than regular Delo 15W40. This is in my 2006 Dodge Cummins, stock injectors,stock turbo, no programs. It's typically run hard (80mph on the highway for extended periods, and hauling occasionally heavy loads, and driven hard). Maybe it's just me, but I've found any 0W/5W 40's I've used have always given me higher consumption than their 15W40 regular counterparts.
My solution was a return to AME 15W40...Not that it was a problem, but you have to do what makes you feel comfortable.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: D-Roc
Maybe it's just me, but I've found any 0W/5W 40's I've used have always given me higher consumption than their 15W40 regular counterparts.
My solution was a return to AME 15W40...Not that it was a problem, but you have to do what makes you feel comfortable.
thumbsup2.gif

What do you use in the winter? I stopped using Delo 400 15W40 when I once had to cold-start my engine at -30C. and the oil pressure came up excruciatingly slowly; the alarm buzzer came on.
You get temps lower than I do, I think (my lowest here is -35C.). Even AME 15W40 would be scary to me at -25 to -35 C.
I don't mind a bit of consumption with 5W40, it actually renews the oil and allows a slightly longer OCI.
Did you know that on large marine diesels they NEVER change the oil, they just replenish burned oil. The oil starts with a TBN of up to 70, depending on the oil; it equilibrates at a certain level that is adequate. They use a centrifuge for water and particle removal and clean it periodically. That's the "reductio ad absurdem" of oil consumption - it changes itself.

Charlie

I've left Delo 5W40 and AME out in the cold (-28c) together...take a guess which looked better?
That aside, any oil left at those temps (except 0W40) is going to be thick. You should make use of assisted starting in these situations for sure.
Consumption wasn't the only reason I went back to AME. There was a few others.

When I lived in Edmonton I ran the 5W40 Delo and plugged in at less than -15C for an hour or 2 otherwise it romped pretty hard on startup. Did that even with the 15W40 AME I ran for one winter. Now that I live in in the BC interior (and have a heated garage) I shouldn't have any more cold romping issues.

Never saw any increased oil consumption with the 5W40. It always uses 1 quart every 7500km regardless of what oil I use.

Yeah, I've heard the romping you speak of...a guy where I work has a 6.0 and he starts the thing up and drives down the road at the end of the day with it sounding like that...
I guess if you didn't have a garage, a pan warmer would be your best bet. That or a PAO 0/5W40...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back