Coolant system help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 08 Saturn Outlook XR

Ok, First I am an idiot. It was late and there is no excuse. I came home the other night and dumped half a gallon of orange Rain-X Windshield fluid in my coolant tank. I am now going to flush my system this weekend. I know i need a mix of dex cool and water, but does anyone know where the drain is for system?

have a look at the tank--maybe you could just siphon the tank out and not flush everything, provided the fluid in the tank does not normally turn over with the rest of the system.

a few leftover OZ. of Rain-X shouldn't hurt your system.

Originally Posted By: Kaboomba

I wouldn't risk it, particularly with such a critical engine system. Who knows how the stuff in Rain-X could affect the cooling system? The winter blends of washer fluid have methanol in them to keep from freezing, and this boils at a far lower temperature than water.

Coolant is cheap. Drain the coolant system and refill it with the suitable coolant.

Originally Posted By: heypete
Originally Posted By: Kaboomba

I wouldn't risk it, particularly with such a critical engine system. Who knows how the stuff in Rain-X could affect the cooling system? The winter blends of washer fluid have methanol in them to keep from freezing, and this boils at a far lower temperature than water.

Coolant is cheap. Drain the coolant system and refill it with the suitable coolant.

+1 also cause it's dex cool, you can get it anywhere.

I'm sure the drain plug is on the lower corner of the radiator, but where did all the coolant go that you thought you were replacing? I go at least a yr/30,000 without adding, and usually flush at 45K.

It wasnt low. The Cold line is actually very low in the tank and of course the dex cool was the same color as the rain-x so i just filled it to the top of the tank the cap is also the same style as the washer tank also. I dont know what happened. it was late and raining and cold but i wanted to get the thing refilled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back