best oil for a 99 Mustang GT weekend racer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 99 Mustang GT with your average bolt-ons. I drag race it on weekends when I can and generally drive it pretty hard during the week. It gets driven about 35 miles a day. The car has a modular 281 SOHC 2V engine with 69,000 miles. My altitude is 4200 feet with 4 seasons(SLC UT) extremes at triple and single digits. The car also parks outside...

The current oil I use is 5w30 Mobil1 extended performance which apparently contains 50 percent more SuperSyn then regular Mobil1 whatever super syn is. I figure 5w30 is the best for the all year around considering our weather. I change about every 3,000 miles with frequent level checks. It's advertised to go 15,000 but with my style of driving 3,000 is I believe where it should be.

I wanted to check with you Pro's to make sure I'm doing the right thing...? Any suggestions?

I was also thinking of switching to Redline, Royal Purple, or Amsoil. I hear they are a 'real' synthetic oil?? Would it matter in my case??

Thank you.

As a Mustang guy myslef, I think 5w30 is good for summer. I dont drive mine in winter at all so I wouldnt know how it is in winter, but my guess is it should be fine. You can atleast go up to 5,000 miles if your running a good quality synthetic.

I like Redline 5W-30, my mod motor loves the stuff. The crazy HTHS and awesome add pack eases my mind when I beat the tar out of it.

No need to change every 3000 miles if you're traveling 35 miles every day, 6-7 miles should be enough to get the oil up to temp and bake off excess fuel and moisture.

I do 5000-6000 mile OCIs (every 6 months) under semi-similar conditions and most would say that I'm wasting perectly good oil too.

welcome2.gif
to BITOG

The oil you are using is a great choice and there is no need to change it before 5K even with your style of driving. By the way, the oil you are using is a "real synthetic oil."

Originally Posted By: Johnny
welcome2.gif
to BITOG

The oil you are using is a great choice and there is no need to change it before 5K even with your style of driving. By the way, the oil you are using is a "real synthetic oil."

Thanks for the Welcome! What makes it a 'real' synthetic? i guess I could search the forums for that...

Mobil 1 5W-30 is a group III/IV/V blend. I think Johnny is referring to the ruling that allows any Group III or higher oil to be considered a full synthetic in the US.

I have had alot of luck using Redline in my 1000rwhp turbocharged camaro. There are alot of great choices out there, but for racing its hard to beat RL.

A while back I switched from regular M1 5w30 to the 5w30EP and the car seems to like it much better. I have an 02 GT and drive it hard whether I'm at the track or not. The EP is good oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back