5W-20 oil for 2010 RAV4 in Arizona?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rudolphna
MC Semi-syn 5W-20 every 5-6k miles. Put a good air filter in there with that too.

+1
MC Semi-Syn 5w20 is the best deal out there...Saw it yesterday at Walmart for less then 20 bucks...It holds up well in Miami jungle heat...It works well for the cops and taxis in their CVPI'S

Originally Posted By: lipadj46
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Our 05 rav didnt last 50K miles on 5w-30 Toyota Genuine oil. The engine wore out

That sounds pretty unbelievable.

Oh ..not for Arco. He's a self appointed failure analysis engineer. He just hammers everything until it breaks. What's odd is that he always cites engines as the failure points. I would have thought transmissions would go long before you could ever manage to grenade an engine in a newer car.

Motorcraft 5W20 is fine. Toyota has their own line of 5W20 too I thought and their are plenty of other oil comapnies making 5W20.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Honda uses special additives and or assembly lubes and they need to be in the engine to do their work.
Except the OP has a Toyota, not a Honda, and Toyota doesn't use special break-in oil.

heypete, I agree with most of the replies: Motorcraft 5W-20 will serve you well. That's what I use in my sister's '08 RAV4 I4 along with Toyota filters every 5,000 miles. I reset the maintenance-minder for her and she calls me when it lights up.
19.gif

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
heypete, I agree with most of the replies: Motorcraft 5W-20 will serve you well. That's what I use in my sister's '08 RAV4 I4 along with Toyota filters every 5,000 miles. I reset the maintenance-minder for her and she calls me when it lights up.
19.gif

While I have no doubt as to the quality of Motorcraft oil, I suspect that there may be some confusion in my use of "MC" -- I intended for that abbreviation to indicate "Mobil Clean", rather than "Motorcraft".

My apologies for any confusion. Either way, the conclusion seems to be that both Motorcraft and Mobil Clean should serve us well with 5,000 mile service intervals.

Cheers!
-Pete

Absolutely heypete! Enjoy the new car service it with whichever MC 5w20 you likeand enjoy trouble free motoring. Great car and it's ease of service and reliability will come in handy in your busy years ahead.

as mentioned above by few fellow members, it is much better to get the first oil change done at 1500M then you can stick to your target OCI of 5K miles.

I would say use always the cheapest 5W-20/0W-20 Synthetic oil money can buy, who knows you might be able to get Toyota's synthetic oil from the dealer at a good price...

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Did you say you did not get 50,000 miles using 5w30?? Please explain
Look into my past posts. The enginee wore out, as did my suzuki 2.3, and suzuki 2.0. I blame poor GF4 oil and reform gas. This car (rav) was dealer service with genuine toyota parts and oil and driven by my wife. Never had probs until SL came along and got worse with SM.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I would really go with the Motorcraft 5w20. Its 11 dollars a 5 quart jug at walmart, and worth the money.

Since it is a new car, I would let the dealer do the first 2 oil changes, then you do it yourself. Save receipts and keep a log for warranty purposes.

After the 3rd oil change, I might send out a sample to the lab to see how the oil is performing.

+1

Keep in mind that Toyota requires an oil change every six months or 5,000 miles. I agree with all that any "standard" 5W20 will go the distance.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Did you say you did not get 50,000 miles using 5w30?? Please explain
Look into my past posts. The enginee wore out, as did my suzuki 2.3, and suzuki 2.0. I blame poor GF4 oil and reform gas. This car (rav) was dealer service with genuine toyota parts and oil and driven by my wife. Never had probs until SL came along and got worse with SM.

smirk2.gif

What about the RIO? RIO thread

And here you say that the RAV4 motor STARTED to have engine issues at 58,000 miles. 58,000 mile thread

But here you state NONE of your 5 past cars lasted past 50,000 miles.. no cars past 50k post

Again here are all the vehicles that were DEAD at 50k incl a 2007 chevy truck.. list of vehicles that he has "killed"

I'm not going to spend any more time looking through your posts but you need to keep your stories straight.

Its amazing how the rest of the world can get well past 50k but you seem to have "issues".

I'd stop looking at oils, gas, vehicles and start to look at the REAL problem. (that is if all these vehicles really did have "issues")

Just looking at your past posts as you suggested...

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Keep in mind that Toyota requires an oil change every six months or 5,000 miles. I agree with all that any "standard" 5W20 will go the distance.

Sorry to the OP for the rant above but we need to TRY to keep this board real.
whistle.gif

RTexasf is correct, so any 5w-20 oil is going to keep your GF's new RAV4 in perfect condition for a nice long life.

Mobil 5000 in 5w-20 is a excellent oil!

Originally Posted By: lipadj46
My mother's 2007 RAV 4 manual says 5w-30 is OK for severe service. I usually put Mobil 1 5w-20 in it but would also have used Motorcraft 5w-20, PP 5w-30, Castrol Edge 5w-30 depending what was on sale.

If you want cheap go with the Motorcraft 5w20 at Walmart.

I think we need to say if you want to WASTE MONEY go with syn since it is "cheap"
smirk2.gif
to go with Motorcraft or any other 5w-20 oil for a 5k OCI...

Bill

Originally Posted By: heypete

To summarize what is already an excessively long post, "What would be a suitable oil for this vehicle, given mostly-average driving and 5,000 mile oil change intervals?"

I appreciate any input you have to offer.

You are, relatively new to the forum, welcome.

If I were you, since this is a brand new car, go with any reputable 5w20 and change the oil every 5k miles as per your warranty requirements.

In Arizona does it stays warm year round? Sounds like non-severe service for me.

I would bet a reputable 5w20 every 5k miles will serve you well.

"As she's a high school teacher (and I'm going to be starting graduate school), money isn't going to be growing on trees for us for some time. Thus, we want to follow the service schedule and do oil changes at 5,000 miles, not spend a huge amount on pricey oil (though we have no problem with modestly-priced synthetics like Mobil 1, but if something cheaper protects equally well, we'd prefer that), yet be able to give this car to our as-yet-non-existent kids and have them drive it into the ground."

I think if you cost out gasoline, insurance, wear&tear items, and depreciation, you'll find that a bi-yearly oil change factors in very little of the operating cost! Besides, a brand new RAV4 isn't a cheap car by any means!

Last edited:
Living here in Tucson I can tell you warm/hot days with some over 110 greatly outnumber cold winter nights below freezing. With modern high-tech cooling systems heat does not stress engines like it used to. In fact it allows oil temperatures to warm quicker burning off contaminants much sooner. I think engines in climates like around here may very well last longer than in FrostBite Falls, Mn., for instance.

I agree with the posters that recommend API SM GF-4 5W-20 Dino oils which most likely are really a GroupII/II+/III blend anyway. And Bill in Utah is right on the mark (as is usually the case) concerning the difference between Mobil Drive Clean (I wonder if it's been relabeled and sold as Exxon Super Flo, hmmm) and Mobil Clean 5000, although I would still recommend the MC 5000 5W-20.

Take care,
Gary

Awesome detective work, Bill.

As for Arco's claims, 1 vehicle, ok, I can see it - you got a lemon.

Everything you owned? No way, unless you beat the tar out of them every time you drove them. Even then, SOME would survive. I think Arco is just assuming his vehicles are 'dead' when he hears the slightest engine noise, and doesn't investigate further....

Detective work? How 'bout "Thorn in my side idiot work". I never had any repetitive engine problems before GF3 spec OIL and reform fuel. My Yugo was driven harder than anything and had mods and had ZERO problems with that engine. This is factual. I gave VIN# in the past that no one who questions me followed up on. My trend points to GF4 5w-30 is insufficient for folks with a stressfull high speed commute at 3-4K sustained RPM for 45min - 1 hour. My apologies to the OP for Bill continued questioning lambasting of my facts about MY personal experience with My personal vehicles.

Detective work? How 'bout "Thorn in my side idiot work". I never had any repetitive engine problems before GF3 spec OIL and reform fuel. My Yugo was driven harder than anything and had mods and had ZERO problems with that engine. This is factual. I gave VIN# in the past that no one who questions me followed up on. My trend points to GF4 5w-30 is insufficient for folks with a stressfull high speed commute at 3-4K sustained RPM for 45min - 1 hour. My apologies to the OP for Bill continued questioning lambasting of my facts about MY personal experience with My personal vehicles.

Why don't you take your science fiction show to it's own thread and leave the reality to those who are trying to help the OP. Please don't pollute this thread anymore with your questionable anectdotes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back