Gray colored grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been taking my truck to a GM service shop that greases all the fittings on my truck. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what grease they use and I've decided to start doing it myself. It is dark gray in color. Any ideas? I'm willing to give them a call but I'm not sure they'll tell me what kind.

The manual calls for Chassis Lubricant (GM Part No. U.S. 12377985, in Canada 88901242) or lubricant meeting requirements of NLGI #2, Category LB or GC-LB.

I realize I can purchase an equivalent grease, but I always heard dark gray implied grease with moly. Is this the case?

While I'm at it - any brands of grease better for these GM trucks?

For your chassis applications you do want to use a moly grease which is probably what they use. Most over the counter moly greases available at your local parts stores will contain around 3% moly and will serve you well, and most will have the GC-LB stamp on the tube.

Thanks for the reply Johnny. Most of my local parts places haven't been very informative - even the GM parts guys. Most people just look at me like I'm nuts even asking about grease.

Not sure what is available over the counter where your located, but Valvoline makes a good chassis grease that most parts stores seem to carry. Pennzoil has an excellent chassis grease called TTM302 if you can find it. Mobil and Conoco also make excellent greases. Being that you are in Florida, Amalie and Wolf's Head have some good greases also. Of course if you don't mind ordering online, the Amsoil GHD grease is an excellent product. It is actually the grease I have chosen to use for my applications.

I've found some good choices out of your suggestions that are available at some of my local auto parts stores. Valvoline seems to have a high availability.

I'm probably going to pick up a Lincoln grease gun while I'm at it.

Is the rule more moly the better?

I've seen some from 1% to 5%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back