Apparently....

Status
Not open for further replies.
So according to folks on J-body.org, the 2.2L OHV is the roughest running, cruddiest sounding 4 cylinder in the world. I dunno what they are doing wrong then. Because mine, with 129k miles runs as smooth as the 4.6L Modular in the expy, if not more so. It sounds better than most 4 bangers. It isn't whiny, it has a deeper tone. Apparently it has no balance shafts.... Still very smooth. Leaps and bounds smoother than the 2.5L OHV Inline 4 in the Jeep. Maybe it has something to do with me running PP 5W-30? I think so maybe. Lots of them over there like Mobil 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen J-Bodies with riced out exhaust that sounded surprisingly nice and rumble-y, not whiny at all, an older Cavalier and a Sunfire. I wondered if my hearing was that destroyed by 80s hair metal bands, but I'd agree it was far from whiny.

It could be your PP. I heard one with 200k that sounded pretty awful but the timing chain was part of the racket. My Sonoma with 100k had piston slap and when I got on it it sounded like it had an exhaust leak even though it didn't.

Then a coworker's sunfire with 100k sounds great, just tuned up, and it's horribly neglected.

It could be year to year changes in mounts that make the difference in smoothness. I like having a dogbone in front, keeps things solidly planted.

Some people continue on with their false claims and rumors that GM 4cylinders aren't smooth running. I've had a few of the 2.2 OHVs and it is surprisingly smooth for what it is. The magic is in the engine mounts along with it's longer rods and smallish bore. Some people say the Honda 4 cylinder is smoother than the Ecotech. I actually felt that the ecotech was smoother than the Honda or Nisssan 4 cylinder. It's all a bunch of bunk really. Take the new Malibu for instance. When you put test equipment up to it, I think it tested smoother and quieter than the competition.

I've heard some that were smooth and some that were rough. Same goes with engines of all manufacturers, Honda, Nissan, etc.

I've always heard that Nissans are noisy at start-up but with my '98 Altima I never had any start-up noise at all. Hondas that are supposed to be very quiet aren't always so quiet, as I've noted first hand in my Integra. Upon start-up the fuel injectors are very clicky and there is some minor piston slap. When it's fully warmed up the injectors are still noisy and there is slight valvetrain noise even though they're all within spec. I've also heard noisy CR-Vs and quiet CR-Vs with the B20 engine which is very similar to the B18, aside from the bore.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
So according to folks on J-body.org, the 2.2L OHV is the roughest running, cruddiest sounding 4 cylinder in the world. I dunno what they are doing wrong then. Because mine, with 129k miles runs as smooth as the 4.6L Modular in the expy, if not more so. It sounds better than most 4 bangers. It isn't whiny, it has a deeper tone. Apparently it has no balance shafts.... Still very smooth. Leaps and bounds smoother than the 2.5L OHV Inline 4 in the Jeep. Maybe it has something to do with me running PP 5W-30? I think so maybe. Lots of them over there like Mobil 1.

Maybe you haven't driven many different cars long enough to identify what smooth or harsh is. In a previous thread you mentioned how you've got a certain brand of tire on your SUV and 'love them'. Have you been driving long enough to be able to quantify good and bad. Limited experiences?

And if your 2.2 OHV runs smoother than the 4.6L v8 then theres something wrong with the v8.

Last edited:
My 2.2 Eco is smooth as silk, not quite the Honda sewing machine but still a very smooth engine. Under hard acceleration I actually like the way it sounds, which is rare for me and a four banger.

Rudolphna, my ecotec has twin balance shafts, where did you hear that the eco doesn't. Or is that something that was added in later years?....Doh, nevermind, see you have the OHV 2.2

Last edited:
I had two 2.2L Omnis back in the 80s. I remember back then they said it was the roughest engine on the market. That doesn't mean it's a bad engine. The engine served me well.

The tires on our SUV are Michelin LTX M/S. They've only been on it for 3 years. I remember the OE Continental Tires that came with it vividly. They were KHRAP. I've driven my 4 cylinder, a 2.2L Eco, a Ford 2.0L DOHC, a Ford 2.3L, and a Chrysler 2.4L. Of the 4 cylinders, the 2.3L and the 2.4L were the roughest. The 2.0 was first, followed by mine. The Eco was next.

So how are you comparing the 2.5L from a Jeep in an earlier post if you have never driven it?

I already mentioned the Jeep...I thought it was self evident. I'd already mentioned how rought THAT engine is, I didn't think I'd have to do it again.

Bro, your first problem was listening to a bunch of kids on Jbody.org..most don't know their head from a hole in the ground...(and I say that being a long time member there)

If you take good care of the 2.2, it tends to run nice and smooth..my co worker's 99 runs very well, as it it well cared for.

My old 2.0 ran very smooth for a "cruddy" engine...

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
My 2.2 Eco is smooth as silk, not quite the Honda sewing machine but still a very smooth engine. Under hard acceleration I actually like the way it sounds, which is rare for me and a four banger.

Rudolphna, my ecotec has twin balance shafts, where did you hear that the eco doesn't. Or is that something that was added in later years?....Doh, nevermind, see you have the OHV 2.2

Eco? Cobalt?

And yes, the 2.2 does like synthetic, and will run smoother with it....

And the Ecotecs like it too....my Balt liked the M1 it had, but seems to like the PP more (so far)...

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

Eco? Cobalt?

Kissing cousin, HHR

My kids Honda CRV 4cyl was very noisy all the time but ran great. Took it to the dealer and the service guy took me over to another one and started it and said "does it sound like this"? Yep...normal.

Originally Posted By: silverrat

Maybe you haven't driven many different cars long enough to identify what smooth or harsh is. In a previous thread you mentioned how you've got a certain brand of tire on your SUV and 'love them'. Have you been driving long enough to be able to quantify good and bad. Limited experiences?

Ah yes, that old BITOG mantra that a positive review about such-and-such a product is only an indication that the reviewer hasn't driven/used/purchased the competition.

I second this opinion, having had the opportunity to drive a 2.2 ecotec (Olds Alero) and a 1.6 Honda Civic side by side for five years. The 2.2 ecotec is definitely smoother and quieter than the Honda 4-banger.

My 2.2 is smooth when it's warmed up. When cold, it is rough, and has BAD piston slap. Engine runs great, tho - fires right up in the cold, hardly burns any oil, good on gas....no complaints.

Much as it's a decent resource, j-body.org isn't the best place for info - they have a serious fetish for anything Ecotec posered there, and even THEIR memeber bash the OHV's regularly!

Originally Posted By: Samilcar

I second this opinion, having had the opportunity to drive a 2.2 ecotec (Olds Alero) and a 1.6 Honda Civic side by side for five years. The 2.2 ecotec is definitely smoother and quieter than the Honda 4-banger.

I don't think that's a good/fair comparison. Maybe if it was a Honda engine with closer displacement such as the 2.4.

I am sure the type of car it's in makes a difference as well. A family friend has a Cavi with the Eco and I find that it's noisy and rough being as highly praised as it is. He thinks it's noisy too.

If it were in a car with more sound insulation and better made then maybe the noise would be less noticeable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back