Just bought a Honda Metropolitan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. With the 2010 models coming in, I got a good deal on a 2009 Metropolitan Scooter that was hard to pass up.

After much reading online, I decided to go with the 'Ride it like you'll ride it' Break-In method. Not 'Slow and Gentle' but not 'Ride it like you Stole It' method either, somewhat of a happy medium.

Did an OC at 40-miles - just in case anything at all came loose or was left in there from factory assembly. Will do the recommended OCI at 600-miles then probably every 1k after that. Honda recommends 2500 mile OCI's - but with only an oil screen (no filter), i'll stick with 1000-mile OCI's for my own piece of mind.

Being brand new and wanting it to last as long as possible, I put Rotella T 5w40 in it since cold weather is coming on. Might use this stuff year-round or switch to Rotella T 15w40 in summer months, haven't decided yet. Either way I will stick with HDEO's, just can't beat the performance.

I know what some of you might be thinking - the 'No Synthetic for Break-In' myth. Well, the Rotella T 5w40 Syn is actually a Group III base - although called a Syn here in the US, it's not considered a Syn in Europe. But it's a dang good Grp III.

What do you guys think? Am I going to far with this?

No, that sounds pretty good. I used to have a Honda NX125 on/offroad with just the mesh screen. It's a little disconcerning for obsessive compulsive oil freaks, but judging by the number of Honda Cubs sold worldwide, I wouldn't second guess what Honda sees fit for the lubrication of a 50cc scooter.

I think that unless Honda has changed its build quality any recommended oil will be fine and just enjoy it . Vary the speeds when you drive it .That is all you need to think about.

afOh,
You are right on with your plan. RTS is a fine choice year round. You can go to a 2k OCI easily. You won't break that scoot, and the engine is the least of your worries. Don't forget your helmet!

Back pressure in the cylinder is good for seating the rings. Try to use the engine as much as possible for braking. When you do that, the back pressure works to force the compression rings against the cylinder thus resulting in better ring cylinder break in.

Thanks for the comments, guys. Probably will stick with the RTS year-round. Might even go 1500 miles on the OCI's, we'll see (okay, sit down & breathe deeply). Before BITOG, I never really obsessed over things like this.

Boraticus, you're exactly right on back pressure - I have been doing that - quite a bit. I can only help seat the rings. I just can't see High & Hard Revs on a new engine though - that's why I didn't quite go with the 'Ride It Like You Stole It' break-in routine and chose a happy medium.

Anyway, there's nothing like the feeling of bringing home a vehilce right of the 'Showroom Floor' - even if it is only a 50cc scooter. What the hay.
20.gif

Last edited:
If that engine is the same as or similar to the Honda Cub (the most mass produced vehicle of all time), I wouldn't be too concerned about how long it will last. Chances are, with basic maintenance, it will be around long after we cash in. Those things are probably one of the most reliable engines ever built. Not sure what Honda did, but the stars and planets must have been aligned just right when that thing was designed.

One of those little bikes would be AWESOME for runs to the store, if I lived in a warmer climate where I could use it more often.

They are pretty neat, when I move south I might take a look at one. If gas prices go through the roof, I might look a little harder.

I'll have to take a couple of pics here soon. It's the Ocean Blue paint scheme if you want to look it up.

Supposed to rain tomorrow, but i'll see if I can get some pics up on Thursday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back