Prep for long-distance scooter ride?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks,

I own a 2006 Kymco Bet & Win 150, a 150cc, four-stroke, liquid-cooled, single-cylinder motor scooter. It has an automatic CVT transmission, and engine oil is not shared with the transmission.

I've recently decided that I'd like to attempt one of the "Iron Butt" rides, specifically the one where one rides 1,000 miles in 24 hours.

I'd like to complete the ride in less than 22 hours, with at least 20 of those hours spent moving. This gives me an extra two hour window to deal with problems, extra rest, traffic, etc. To complete things in that window, I'd have to maintain a moving average speed of 50mph, which does not seem terribly unreasonable: the bike tops out a bit above 65mph on flat ground, so I should have some extra speed available if I'll need it.

I've got most of the basic preparations in order: I've rounded up a few friends who'll follow me in a chase car for safety. The car will contain extra fuel, oil, coolant, spare parts, tools, an air pump, food, drink, etc. in case it's needed. Additionally, I'll have some high-energy food (e.g. Clif Bars and the like) and a CamelBack with water on the bike itself.

The route is planned out, with several alternates and abort modes planned and mapped out. I'm familiar with most basic maintenance on the bike (e.g. changing oil, air filter, drive belt, coolant, etc.), as well as some more advanced things (e.g. checking valve clearances, but I doubt that'll be necessary), so in the event that things go wrong, I shouldn't be stuck for long.

Obviously, I have appropriate clothing, an armored jacket and gloves, a suitable helmet, and so on. I do need to pick up a reflective vest, just to be on the safe side.

I would be most interested in additional preparations you might recommend. With a more powerful, faster motorcycle, I'd be able to complete the ride on the interstate, which would greatly reduce the number of hours traveled, but that's not possible for a 150cc bike, so I'll be limited to state highways. Any suggestions for staying awake, alert, and aware for such an extended period?

Finally, any suggestions for the bike itself?

The B&W 150 doesn't have an oil filter, but merely has a screen through which oil is drawn to block any large pieces. The manual states that one should change the oil every 2,000km, or a bit over 1,200 miles. This interval is sufficient to cover the distance required, but I'm a bit concerned with the scooter running at essentially constant RPM and speed (RPMs are usually around 7,000rpm, redline is at 10,000rpm) for such a long time. The cooling system is good, and doesn't budge at all on extended rides, but I'm more worried about oil contamination and other issues relating to continuous operating times.

My owner's manual states that one should use "SAE 15W-40" engine oil, and the shop manual confirms this and adds that one should use an SG/CD-rated oil. As the oil is confined to the engine and not shared with the transmission or clutch, ordinary automotive oil is just fine -- there's no concern about moly levels or other additives that would be an issue with wet-clutch bikes.

The only SG-rated oils that I can find are pricey motorcycle-specific oils like Mobil1 Racing 4T that are formulated for wet clutches. Would using an SM-rated oil be suitable?

For conventional oils, I was thinking of Pennzoil yellow bottle or Mobil Clean 5000, both in 10W-40. For synthetic, I was thinking of Mobil1 Turbo Diesel Truck, Shell Rotella T Synthetic, or Mobil1 Racing 4T (what I presently have in the bike), all of which thicken up to 40 weight.

All but the Racing 4T are SM-rated, but several (such as the M1 TDT and Rotella T) are CJ-4/SM, while the Racing 4T is SG/SJ.

I'd like to successfully complete this ride without risking either my own safety or the integrity of the scooter. Such a ride will push both myself and the scooter, so I want an oil that will provide ample protection.

Thanks!

WOW I wanna go!! You may consider a long drain 15-40 such as Amsoil AME or even redline to deal with the added heat of the long run.

As for oil, any name brand 15W40 (e.g. Shell Rotella T) will serve you well. Don't forget to bleed your brakes, most bike mfrs recommend this every 1-2 yrs for a reason.

As for riding - I'd suggest a full face helmet, good sunglasses, sun screen for exposed skin and comfortable ear plugs. The ear plugs will help tremendously! You will still be able to hear your surroundings but they will drastically reduce wind noise and the resultant fatigue is causes. I never ride without them.

Originally Posted By: cos

As for riding - I'd suggest a full face helmet, good sunglasses, sun screen for exposed skin and comfortable ear plugs. The ear plugs will help tremendously! You will still be able to hear your surroundings but they will drastically reduce wind noise and the resultant fatigue is causes. I never ride without them.

+1

The iron butt website has some good tips for the ride. I would run synthetic for the trip.

Also, do you plan on submitting the ride to the iron butt assoc?
I think they only certify 250cc and up anymore. Before the rule change, a guy did it on a Yamaha YSR50!!

Have fun!

Last edited:
one thing I can tell you is you have to be diligent with all your receipts. If you don't, it will not count as a iron butt. Dates and times and gallons of fuel used have to be documented. I hope you have a comfortable seat, and good rain gear not some cheap stuff from the army navy. You will need to keep moving at your predetermined speed. As for oil like was said a good 15/40 Rotella, Delo 400, or Delvac will do the trick, plus they cost less then synthetic. Energy drinks with chocolate bars keep my eyes open.Peppermint lifesavers will help jolt your senses. Eat light and keep all your stops brief. get gas, stretch your legs, use the restroom, and eat in less then 10 minutes or you'll start losing time that's hard to make up. Good luck. And let us know how you make out.,,,

Holy smoke! I've heard of over-planning things, but this is the most well documented example I can ever recall seeing. A chase car? Seriously?

Just change the oil a day or two before your ride, so you can ensure there are no leaks ahead of time. Make sure you know what you'll need to be able to document the event, then get out there and enjoy yourself. It's supposed to be something for fun, not an exercise in mobilizing an armored division.

5 hour energy drink to help stay awake and alert. They really do work, at least for me. No more than 2 a day.

Rotella or any other hdeo

I never ride without ear plugs on the highway. Cant stand wind noise. As cos said, they do help

Can't argue with any of the advice given above other than for this venture I would use either the Mobil 1 motorcycle oil or the Amsoil motorcycle oil. It may cost more but that scooter can't hold that much oil and for what you are going to do it would just be some added insurance.

How about posting a picture of that rig?

Good luck.

For the scooter Rotella 15W40. Those little Kymco engines are as good as the Japanese engines. They're being used in a lot of bikes and ATVs nowadays.
How's your rubber? Those little tires will be doing a lot of rotations to cover that distance.

If you really, really want to stay awake without any problems, rob a bank just before you start out. Nothing more stimulating than running from the law. Don't ask me how I know.

I wouldn't worry about 7k rpm's either, these little engines are made to run that continuously with no problem. As you said, you cooling system is good and the motor - once up to operating temp - doesn't care how long it runs. It' only going to get so warm being liquid-cooled. Just go and have a good time.

As long as your oil, tires, brakes, etc. are all good, you shouldn't have a problem.

I'm a big supporter of Rotella T - Syn or dino either one. No need to go crazy here.

Just a last thought, you might want to change out your gear oil and replace it with Synthetic before you go. I've seen the rear-ends on scooters get pretty warm on a long ride.

Last edited:
You sound very well prepared. Good Luck! Just one thought-steady speeds might set up minor resonances, and shake/buzz loose various fasteners that might otherwise stay tight. Give the scooter a once-over at breaks. Also, are you going to have several spare tires? Again, good luck!

All good inputs. If you make changes from what you have been doing with respect to how you ride, maintenance in preparation, etc., do it ahead of time and put some miles on her first before you take the big ride. I like to let everything settle in for a week or two of riding before a trip just to make sure I have not introduced something into the mix that won't play well or did something stupid on a simple fluid change. I did an oil change not long ago and put on a new filter with a hair line crack in the can. Stuff like that happens from time to time but if you are on the road away from home it will be a problem. Same goes for new riding gear. Funny how those great "new" ideas can bite you in the rear on a long trip. Break stuff in and use what is proven comfortable and compatible with riding.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
I forgot to ask, do you have a windshield on the scooter?.,,

No windshield.

Originally Posted By: rshunter
Holy smoke! I've heard of over-planning things, but this is the most well documented example I can ever recall seeing. A chase car? Seriously?

Over-planning is better than under-planning.

If I had a good interstate-capable motorcycle, I'd have little issues doing this solo. However, I've never taken the scooter for more than 100 or so miles in a single trip (and it's handled that fine). Since I'm going to be in middle-of-nowhere Arizona and New Mexico, on a 20+ hour ride, I thought it prudent to have someone watch my back. Better safe than sorry.

That, and my friends want to record video of the event ala Top Gear.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Can't argue with any of the advice given above other than for this venture I would use either the Mobil 1 motorcycle oil or the Amsoil motorcycle oil. It may cost more but that scooter can't hold that much oil and for what you are going to do it would just be some added insurance.

How about posting a picture of that rig?

Good luck.

As I routinely use Mobil1 Racing 4T, it's not a problem. Even so, I'd like to run at least one UOA to see if there's any hidden issues prior to taking it for a big spin. Got about 1,500km to go before that's due.

It takes just under a quart, so it's not super expensive (~$10/oil change). I was thinking of switching back to Pennzoil 10W-40 yellow bottle simply because it's cheaper and the 2,000 mile changes do add up...but for this trip, I'll stick with the Mobil.

How's the Mobil1 Turbo Diesel Truck stuff for scooters? It's a few dollars cheaper than the Racing 4T and the specs seem beefy enough. At Wal-Mart the gallon jug of Rotella Synthetic is a bit cheaper, but not significantly so, and I'd have to measure out a quart every oil change while the remainder sits in the jug until next time. That's a bit of a hassle.

Here's a pic:

IMG_2437.JPG

Originally Posted By: boraticus
How's your rubber? Those little tires will be doing a lot of rotations to cover that distance.

They look good. Tread is good and deep (there's only about 1,800 miles on the tires), no tiny cracks, etc. No air leaks over the last few months.

Originally Posted By: af0h
Just a last thought, you might want to change out your gear oil and replace it with Synthetic before you go. I've seen the rear-ends on scooters get pretty warm on a long ride.

Done. I already use Mobil1 75W-90 gear oil in the back. I do my work myself and accidentally missed the first gear oil replacement interval at 1000km and let it go to 2000km (the service intervals are in km, as is the odometer), but things seemed normal for that many miles on the final drive. The Mobil's been in there for about 800km and looks good (I occasionally take a small sample out when I'm checking the level).

You're going to need a couple of spare tires and tools to change it out with. Get a smaller mirror to cut down on the road noise and drag. Replace the headlight bulb with a higher wattage one for night driving. If you hit a pot hole with those small tires you are going to flip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back