1998 1.5 Ford Festiva WEIGHT suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey people.

I'm enquiring about the oil weight for a 1998 ford festiva 1.5 fuel injected engine. Motor has done about 100,000 km (60,000 miles) and doesn't blow smoke or have any ticking. Everything seems to be in order.

I don't know what oil is in it now. Just bought it and changing all fluids and filters.

I believe Kia manufactured the engine...???

What would be an appropriate weight oil to use?

Cheers.

Dan

Nope. Kia did the body, suspension (to Mazda's specifications).

powertrain is imported from Japan.

For this particular engine (B-3), use 5W30 or 10W30.

Q.

p.s. if you can't find 5W30/10W30 in Oz, try next viscosity grade up (10W40). I personally would not use anything thicker than 10W40 in Mazda B3 and B6 blocks.

Last edited:
Any 5/10w30 would be fine. My dad run's ST 10w30 in both of his. I've used everything from Castrol to Havoline in my old ones. If we can get find Rotella 10w30 around here I'm switching both of dad's over. Just make sure the PCV valve is good and cooling system is in working order, most of them need dual stage thermostats although in Australia don't know if that's a issue.

Originally Posted By: Quest
Nope. Kia did the body, suspension (to Mazda's specifications).

powertrain is imported from Japan.

For this particular engine (B-3), use 5W30 or 10W30.

Q.

p.s. if you can't find 5W30/10W30 in Oz, try next viscosity grade up (10W40). I personally would not use anything thicker than 10W40 in Mazda B3 and B6 blocks.

I thought the B3 was the engine (1.3) in the older Festivas/Aspires we got in the United States. If so, I usually ran a 30wt and once tried 5w20 and it ran great. I think Ford back-specced all of their 30wt vehicles to a 20wt oil, but am not sure of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back