Buick Stability System

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '03 Park Avenue, 68,600 miles, is occasionally reminding me with a triple chime and message to "Service Stability System." Usually I see this every few days with the message on the Driver's Information Center, usually as I make a turn, not always on slippery roads. The owner's manual describes what the system does -- it's separate from the traction control, which you can turn off -- but says only to see the dealer for service.

Nowadays, I'm sure, these electronics are complex. Is it possible that it's just a sensor or two? Is it worth having the dealer run a diagnostic? The car drives perfectly, and I'm not thundering around a track, driving in mountains (though I wish I were), or taking corners at speed. If it's nothing to worry about, I'll see to it next year. Any ideas appreciated!

Originally Posted By: 94MaxGXE
Tire pressure. Could be as simple as one low tire.

True, though I usually keep my tires at 34/33. This morning the temp had dropped to a staggering (for most people here) 44, and so my tires were all down in the 31 range. I aired 'em back up to 34/33 and reset the system to normal . . . but I got one of these SS messages on the way back from washing the car.

This car says "check tire pressure" when it detects continuous differential rolling speeds between wheels. It's pretty insensitive, I have found.

So it's not just tire pressure.

I think it is probably a sensor, a controller, or wiring. You can drive safely with this condition indefinitely, but the stability control system may not work as expected.

I think there is 1 or 2 extra sensors over just the abs system. One of them tells the car where the wheels are pointed. Also may be an accelerometer that tells the car which direction it is moving.

Most of the time its the steering wheel angle sensor. You can relearn it with Tech 2 and most of the time that fixes it. Otherwise you can try several full lock to lock turns and see if that clears it up. But really, you need to get the code to be sure where to even start diagnosing. Everything else is guessing.

Last edited:
It's occurring a bit more often now, and the several lock-to-lock turns fix GMBoy suggested had no effect. I suppose I'll bring it by the GM dealer during the gap between Xmas and New Year's to have them read the codes. It also needs a look-over by knowledgeable tranny guys to diagnose my random shifting issue, and that's much more important.

I have seen dirty wheel speed sensors cause some problems with the ESP system on Volkswagen cars. Maybe you could try removing the wheels and cleaning the magnetic pickups at each corner and see if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back