Wiper Blade Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks,

Is there any significant difference between the various non-beam-type wiper blades available?

I live in Arizona, and the I-didn't-know-asphalt-had-a-liquid-state powerful sun can work wonders on the rubber blades. While the year is mostly dry, there are a few months of intense rain storms that stress even the best blades on my Camry's fastest setting.

I've been using Rain-X Weatherbeaters, as they're modestly priced (about $9 for the passenger side wiper, $12 for the driver side wiper), work well, and are widely available at auto parts stores, mass merchants, etc. According to the packaging, they're made in Korea and assembled in China (seems like a waste to ship them to China for assembly rather than doing it in Korea, but who am I to question them?).

Other Korean-made wipers seem to have the same design and construction, which makes me suspect that they're made at the same factory, likely to the same specs. These seem to be a few dollars cheaper than the Rain-X wipers. I can't think of the names of a few that I've seen (Valuecraft? I think that's AutoZone's house brand. Pylon?), but can anyone confirm if they're the same as the Rain-X wipers?

What about other brands? Any particularly good or bad ones? I don't mind changing the wipers out twice a year, but I absolutely cannot stand chattering wipers or smearing of water around on the windshield; the beam-type ones seem particularly prone to chattering on my windshield and appear to have the exact same blade in the housing, so I don't think it's worthwhile to pay the extra price for them.

Is there any sort of maintenance one must do to keep the blades up to par? Most people, including myself, ignore the wipers until they start to fail (e.g. smearing water around, rubber falling off, etc.) and then simply replace them. Would wiping them down regularly with some sort of cleaner or rubber treatment help preserve them?

I've had bad luck with Anco wipers but great luck with the Weatherbeaters. I've been using the same pair on my car for 2 years now and they still work as good as new. All I do for maintaining them is to wipe them off with a napkin/paper towel every so often to get the built-up dirt off of them and they work like new again after doing so. I've also had good luck with the cheap "Pylon" brand ones you get at Wal-Mart. I'm still using one of those as my rear wiper and I'm also using them on my girlfriend's car.

Interesting. Before you wipe them off, do they exhibit symptoms like chattering and smearing? Afterwards they're fine?

Anco's are good, stay away from the yellow boxed (31series). the blue (91) series are very good.
the autozone pylon's are like a flexible plastic, very poor quality. the valucraft are junk. Your best best buying from AZ would be the grey box bosch, the micro-edge.

The best wipers to me are Trico. the regular Trico's.

For super hard rain, apply rain-x treatment to the windshield, and just let it do the work for you. Most of the rainy season, I rarely need wipers with rain-x.

the single piece wiper blades are ok, personally they are not worth the money, very overrated and are not refillable.

to clean the rubber, Trico includes a little alcohol packet, they call the optimzier. It does work for the most part.

Eric: That's surprising, as the Anco 31s were the top-rated blade from Consumer Reports. Go figure.

I'm a huge proponent of Rain-X, and use both the original spray-on stuff after cleaning the windshield with another cleaner like Windex, and the pre-mixed bottle of Rain-X treatment and window cleaner for occasional touch-ups. Both seem to work well.

I may have to conduct an experiment to see how well soap-and-water cleans and restores the wiper compared to alcohol or some other cleaner like Windex.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
... All I do for maintaining them is to wipe them off with a napkin/paper towel every so often to get the built-up dirt off of them and they work like new again after doing so...

I do the same maintenance every month or so, during the winter/raining season in So Cal. I removed the whole wiper blade assembly from the cars at the end of April and re-install at the end of October, because we never have any rain rain in those months.

I had use many different brands, I like Trico the most, it seems to last about 4-5 (half)years.

Originally Posted By: heypete
Interesting. Before you wipe them off, do they exhibit symptoms like chattering and smearing? Afterwards they're fine?

Not chattering, but I know it's time to clean them when they start to streak. It typically goes away when I clean them off.
55.gif

Not chattering, but I know it's time to clean them when they start to streak. It typically goes away when I clean them off.
55.gif

Good to know. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
... All I do for maintaining them is to wipe them off with a napkin/paper towel every so often to get the built-up dirt off of them and they work like new again after doing so...

I do the same maintenance every month or so, during the winter/raining season in So Cal. I removed the whole wiper blade assembly from the cars at the end of April and re-install at the end of October, because we never have any rain rain in those months.

I had use many different brands, I like Trico the most, it seems to last about 4-5 (half)years.

You go around without wipers??

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

You go around without wipers??

Yeah, no wipers from Apr/May to Oct/Nov because we never have any rain during these months. Remove or install two wipers takes only 5 minutes, and if there is any chance of any measurable precipitation it will be on every TV channel a week ahead, I would be able to re-install the wipers before the rain comes.

I have had great luck the past year with "beam" blades on my vehicles...using Bosch Icon and Evolution, Trico Innovision, Valeo Ultimate, Anco Contours. Pep Boys Proline only on a few months and 1 rain storm. Regular blade used on 1 vehicle is Valeo 600 series (great wiper for the price). All (except Proline) have held up for over 1 year and all worked fine the rain we had over the weekend.

AS mentioned above the new Valeo Gen 2 (supposed to be thinner) is $15 instant rebate per pair at Amazon. Also Pep Boys has Bosch Icons Buy 1 Get 1 Free after mail in rebate. Tirerack has instant Buy 1 Get 1 Free on Valeo Ultimates. Great opportunity IMO for you to try the new "beam" blades without paying extra. I am confident you will be happy. As with any blades just wiping them down once in a while helps out as does RainX or other window treatments.

I am also testing PIAA silicon wiper blades. They are pricey at $20 but are supposed to really last and do a great job at the same time. They do have refills at under $9. So far so good.

tenderloin: I've tried the Michelin beam-type blades, but they chatter a lot more than the metal frame ones. When they work well, they don't seem to work any better than the metal frame wipers. No sense in me spending money on something that, at best, works the same.

Not had ANY chatter at all with the brands I have used. What vehicle do you have them on? The only possible scenario I can imagine with chatter is if the window was really curved...even then my sons '07 Subaru has a small window that is really curved at the sides...still no chatter.

BTW you mentioned you were paying $21 a pair for the Weatherbeaters. If Buy 1 Get 1 Free gets you 2 wipers the same price or even less...I do not see a monetary difference..but it is your choice.

Good luck whatever you go with...

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
I only replace the rubber with a new refill, $5.99/pr

I haven't see refills offered anywhere. Granted I didn't look all that hard ..but..

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
Not had ANY chatter at all with the brands I have used. What vehicle do you have them on? The only possible scenario I can imagine with chatter is if the window was really curved...even then my sons '07 Subaru has a small window that is really curved at the sides...still no chatter.

BTW you mentioned you were paying $21 a pair for the Weatherbeaters. If Buy 1 Get 1 Free gets you 2 wipers the same price or even less...I do not see a monetary difference..but it is your choice.

Good luck whatever you go with...

I have a 2006 Toyota Camry. The windshield isn't really all that curved.

Upon further reflection, it seems likely that the chatter is simply due to dirt and gunk under the blade. It chatters whenever I use windshield washer fluid, as well as frequently chattering in a light rain (with more than enough water to lubricate the blade), but ceases chattering with more intense or longer periods of rain.

I think I'll stick with the Weatherbeaters for now, attempt to clean them regularly, and I'll look for discounts on the other wipers in the future.

Clearly, more experimentation is needed.

My solution to this issue has been to buy PIAA Silicon wiper blades (ridiculously expensive, but they last 3 or 4 times as long as the cheapo's) and to use a brand of washer fluid that has Teflon added to it. I've tried everything else over the years to stop chatter and smearing, but the above approach is the only one that has worked reliably.

Quote:

What about other brands? Any particularly good or bad ones? I don't mind changing the wipers out twice a year, but I absolutely cannot stand chattering wipers or smearing of water around on the windshield; the beam-type ones seem particularly prone to chattering on my windshield and appear to have the exact same blade in the housing, so I don't think it's worthwhile to pay the extra price for them.

I guess experience varies, but the regular blades have always chattered, streaked, and smeared for me. The beam ones are worth it for me. When I had my Civic, even Bosch Microedge Excels didn't work smoothly. Put a pair of Trico beams on there and that was the first time it was chatter free since new. I currently have Rain-X Latitudes on my car and I love them.

Costco has Goodyear non-beam wipers for $7.99 each any size. I have put them on 2 vehicles and they are great. The price is great too!

Here's a link to them but this is Costco Canada so the price is higher. They don't sell them on the US site but they carry them in their US stores.

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=10314040&whse=BCCA&Ne=5000001%204000000&eCat=BCCA|20483|20738&N=4009738%204294963659&Mo=0&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-CA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back