07 civic ex on mobil 1 no longer burns oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: donny939
Awhile back probably two oil changes i post asked you guys why my car was burning up to a qt of oil on an oil change after switching to mobil 1... Well I am happy to say that I am now on my third oil change using mobil 1 and it no longer burns oil and the motor runs quiter than ever. I currenty use 5w20 but i heard a rumor that its best run 0w20 in all hondas but it doesnt say it in the maunal because it costs more and its harder to come by? Is there any truth to that because if there is i would gladly run it as i live in jersey where the winters get very cold.

Some Hondas, at least the '10 CRVs, are calling for 0W-20...

im just saying, i dunno the more the marryier. btw i had to go to honda today to by brake fuild and i figured while i was there i would pick up an oil filter.. well lets just say my rear was sore when i walked out. They charged me 9 dollars for a oil fliter!!! next time im just going to get a mobil oil fliter and also they had a stock pile of every kind of mobil 1 oil behind the counter that you could think of.
PureOne 14610. Don't waste money on an M1. However, Honda PS pumps are finicky to hydraulic fluid so stick with the OEM stuff on that.

Interesting tidbit of info, there was a HondaTech or SuperHonda thread (forgot which one) calling for all 300k+ Civics to speak up about their maintenance routine. EVERY one, I kid you not, used 5w30 dino on the factory recommended ~7500 mile OCIs (most were 5G/6G Civics). However a few mentioned they do an OC soon as the analog maintenance minder turned yellow which is at 6500 miles.

Point being you don't need M1 or synthetic to make a Honda last. My 6G was pushing 180k on GTX 5w30 on 6500 mile OCIs and it burned nothing.

Change your MTF a bit more frequently than the manual says (50-60k is usually good over 90k).

Im sure dyno is fine but mobil 1 is better. It is better for cold starts, which i experience a lot in jersey and it runs better than when i used gtx. Also i changed the brake fuild today at 36,000 miles, it was shot, black as can be. Next i will be changing the power steering fulid and clutch fluid as i have already done the trans and anti freeze

Im sure dyno is fine but mobil 1 is better. It is better for cold starts, which i experience a lot in jersey and it runs better than when i used gtx. Also i changed the brake fuild today at 36,000 miles, it was shot, black as can be. Next i will be changing the power steering fulid and clutch fluid as i have already done the trans and anti freeze
5w20 M1 is not better on cold starts than 5w20 dino. Even in NJ with 0w20 you won't notice a difference (nor will the r18) compared to dino. Just don't want you to pour unnecessary money down the drain on a car that doesn't need high end synthetic or boutique oil (unless you want to run 15k+ OCIs).

A lot of the 'it runs better on synthetic than dino' comments are purely mental. When you spend $30 on 5 qts compared to $12, your mind tricks you into making you think your car runs better because you want it to run better due to the extra expense. Even K2x engines, which have a timing chain (I'm not sure about the R series), are easy on oil.

Last edited:
it only costs 22 bucks at walmart and i have seen tests where they put mobil one oil and gtx oil in a freezer over night and the mobil one comes out of the bottle very quickly while the dino oil clumped out in just over 8 mins.... and i run 6 thousand mile oc. so for me it is worth it. even the first time i put in my car and it went down the funnel like water i knew it was slippier and quicker. I was sold then

it only costs 22 bucks at walmart and i have seen tests where they put mobil one oil and gtx oil in a freezer over night and the mobil one comes out of the bottle very quickly while the dino oil clumped out in just over 8 mins.... and i run 6 thousand mile oc. so for me it is worth it. even the first time i put in my car and it went down the funnel like water i knew it was slippier and quicker. I was sold then
I think you have some BITOG learning to do....read up, enjoy and learn!

If this 'test' even exists, they neglect to mention that the GTX was single grade 50 weight. Something that M1 marketing loves to play. Anyway, read the PDSs on GTX dino and M1 and you'll see it's low temp viscosity is comparable to M1 when comparing the same grade (note there is no 0w20 in dino world, but 5wXX to 5wXX, there is next to no difference).

You should run MUCH more than 6k on synthetic in a Honda, particularly a R18!

Last edited:
I have been reading a lot on this site and the majority agree mobil one is better for extreme weather and extreme driving, living in jersey is extreme weather. freezing temps, hot humid summers, and i have a lot of short trips and long trips that people on here agree that is hard driving that is better suited for a synthetic oil

NJ isn't extreme weather from the perspective of oil, that's for sure.

Short trips may be considered 'extreme driving' but long trips are not. However all of this is not taken into account that you are driving a Honda. There is no such thing as extreme conditions to a Honda...you beat the [censored] out of them and they ask for more.

Anyway, if you had been reading BITOG as much as you claim, you'd be running Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 and not M1 :)

no offendse but you live in the south, you probably have never seen snow or no what freezing conditions are.. and a lil frost on your winshield doesn't count. I drive my car all the way to maine for snowboarding trips where the weather is 20 below zero. and a regular temp in the winter in jersey is around 10 degrees.. and i dont just go with an oil because of hype that is why i dont you pennzoil

no offendse but you live in the south, you probably have never seen snow or no what freezing conditions are.. and a lil frost on your winshield doesn't count. I drive my car all the way to maine for snowboarding trips where the weather is 20 below zero. and a regular temp in the winter in jersey is around 10 degrees.. and i dont just go with an oil because of hype that is why i dont you pennzoil
How ironic given you use M1
55.gif

I was born Essex county and was raised in Jackson. You know all us Jersey folk migrate to Duke for college :).

Last edited:
fact is synthetic oil is better for all conditions and vehicles... sorry but those are the facts.. cars get more advanced so the oils we put in them have to get more advanced, its common sense. and how is the fact that mobil 1 has been around longer than i have been alive, a hype?

Ok, your credibility is completely lost, I cede this conversation. When you are ready to talk about VIIs, NOACK volatility, HTHS %, dynamic viscosity, pour point, flash point, ability to perform with fuel dilution etc etc etc etc, then we can continue.

Last edited:
yes and those are all tests that synthetic oils outpeform dinosaur oils opps i mean dino oils

Of course synthetic will outperform dino oil 100% of the time..... but we are talking about a low performance Civic EX, no need to worry about NOACK volatility, HTHS %, dynamic viscosity, pour point, flash point, etc...etc.

As for Civics getting 300K miles on 5w30 dino oil, that mileage number is not really impressive for a Civic on dino oil.

its a shame you dont see a lot of vettes with that many miles.. or chevys for that matter

That's more of a function of vettes being performance vehicles that are rarely driven. Horsepower and longevity do not go hand in hand.

its a shame you dont see a lot of vettes with that many miles.. or chevys for that matter

WTH is that supposed to mean? Do you think that the typical Civic buyer and the typical Vette owner use their cars in similar manners. Do you propose that the typical Vette is used as a daily driver like I'm sure 90% of the Civics are? Corvettes in general are driven less and many are pure garage queens. My 78 Vette has only 40,000 something on it, does that mean that it's an inferior car?

As for "other chevys" I know plenty of people with Chevy and GM C/K's with tons of miles on them....your statement reeks of fanboyism and makes no sense at all.

yea you were right.. also i recently switched by gf's 08 altima to mobil 1 ane her car does not burn/use any oil..i guess it just all depends on the car and driving habits, my car always see's 4 to 6 thousand rpm shifts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back