Royal Purple Oil Experience - 2005 Mustang GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 2k05gt
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
from a Racers View your Right, a Push rod motor would make way more power with cams and other engine mods and it's cheaper.

Do you honestly think a 5.0L pushrod would outperform a 5.0 4V, given that they are equally modded?

Oh not at all.. I ment is that It's cheaper to slap a high lift cam, new intake and Headers and get serious power N/A. With the OHC Engine I need to buy 4 Cams not one so my cost went way up right there. The 3 Valve uses VCT, so a high lift cam is out of the question unless you Lock out the phaser gear and add new Springs, Not an easy task.

gotcha

And What Conclusion have you come to?

Given everything you've posted, Royal Purple seems to have worked well for you. Period.

The reason I'm still posting here is that I don't like the idea that one bad-looking cam is "evidence" that Mobil 1 is a poor oil or inferior to Royal Purple. If this forum is to be trusted, we should be more demanding when it comes to evidence and proof.

I will say I have never seen a Modular cam with any significant miles that looked as good as those RP cam pics. The RP cams look more like cams that came right out of a OEM Ford package instead of 75,000 miles later. 4.6 cams almost always some visible (albeit slight) wear on the cam journals and a visible polished track where the roller finger followers ride on the cam lobes, as can be seen in the M1 cam pics.

The thing is, I've never been into a Modular that was run exclusively on an oil with a decent dose of ZDDP, only off-the-shelf synthetics and dinos.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
And What Conclusion have you come to?

Given everything you've posted, Royal Purple seems to have worked well for you. Period.

The reason I'm still posting here is that I don't like the idea that one bad-looking cam is "evidence" that Mobil 1 is a poor oil or inferior to Royal Purple. If this forum is to be trusted, we should be more demanding when it comes to evidence and proof.

Fair Enough.
I agree. You are in PA, Where, I am planning on going to see my Sister in Franklin out side of Oil City before Christmas, maybe you can meet me on the way and I will let you inspect all four Cams with statments from Marc and myself on our driving habits. Not being sarcastic I am serious. I too am a bit dismayed on the information as well,

Now I do not agree on your comment that M1 is a Poor Oil, I think it's one of the top oils on the market, is it inferior to RP, maybe, it sounds like you have a preconceived notion that RP is not a good product so there for it can't do better than a product that, in your mind is superior. So there must be somthing wrong with the evidence.

Has anyone showed other evidence that RP is a Bad Product? Other than Marketing Practices and claims of MPG savings and HP Gains. Maybe they have a good product that people maybe should overlook the Marketing Department and see what engineering is doing. Again I am not making light of the fact that the pictures are a bit telling but I can try to satisfy what ever doubts you have..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
I will say I have never seen a Modular cam with any significant miles that looked as good as those RP cam pics. The RP cams look more like cams that came right out of a OEM Ford package instead of 75,000 miles later. 4.6 cams almost always some visible (albeit slight) wear on the cam journals and a visible polished track where the roller finger followers ride on the cam lobes, as can be seen in the M1 cam pics.

The thing is, I've never been into a Modular that was run exclusively on an oil with a decent dose of ZDDP, only off-the-shelf synthetics and dinos.

In person you can see the "tracks" on my cams the big difference is that the M1 shows like a heat discoloration like the followers had a lot of friction and the cams got real hot. Maybe he ran the car Low on Oil?? we do not know this,
type of info. I on the other hand am a bit crazy about the car, I hand wash the engine compartment each week, I polish the valve covers, and I check my Oil at every fillup. I make sure it's always filled and I use good filters.
Maybe thats the difference, Taking good care and maintenance. Again I think thats what doodfood is alooding too.
I know My Car, we don't have all the facts on the other one.

Look Closly at the first three lobes, you can see a track, it's more noticable in person
PDRM1922.jpg

Last edited:
I agree. You are in PA, Where, I am planning on going to see my Sister in Franklin out side of Oil City before Christmas, maybe you can meet me on the way and I will let you inspect all four Cams with statments from Marc and myself on our driving habits. Not being sarcastic I am serious. I too am a bit dismayed on the information as well,

Care to swing near Philadelphia? There are a few easy landmarks just off the major highways around here.
55.gif

Now I do not agree on your comment that M1 is a Poor Oil, I think it's one of the top oils on the market, is it inferior to RP, maybe, it sounds like you have a preconceived notion that RP is not a good product so there for it can't do better than a product that, in your mind is superior. So there must be somthing wrong with the evidence.

What I care most about is the integrity of the case on each side. I don't care who wins in the end as long as it's on the basis of good, robust evidence.

Besides, being wrong is much more interesting an outcome to me than being right.

Has anyone showed other evidence that RP is a Bad Product? Other than Marketing Practices and claims of MPG savings and HP Gains. Maybe they have a good product that people maybe should overlook the Marketing Department and see what engineering is doing.

IMO, no one intelligent will say it's bad stuff. That's not the argument. The argument is that there's no good reason to think it's BETTER than other synthetics, which are cheaper and carry third-party certifications.

Maybe he ran the car Low on Oil?? we do not know this, type of info. I on the other hand am a bit crazy about the car, I hand wash the engine compartment each week, I polish the valve covers, and I check my Oil at every fillup. I make sure it's always filled and I use good filters.
Maybe thats the difference, Taking good care and maintenance. Again I think thats what doodfood is alooding too.
I know My Car, we don't have all the facts on the other one.

EXACTLY. That's all I've been saying.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Care to swing near Philadelphia? There are a few easy landmarks just off the major highways around here.
55.gif

You know, Marc and I are Planning on Going to Ashton, PA for a Dyno tuning session at Tillman Speed Inc.
Might just swing by, I will PM you my Cell Phone Number and maybe we can meet for that Beer...
10.gif

I still think in the picture shown here M1 dropped the ball. IMO the Royal Purple oil did a better job, based on the pictures. Had it been the other way around RP would have taken a beating here. BTW I don't like nor do I use M1 or RP oil. But the truth is RP typically is a punching bag on this board. JMO, and nothing more.

Here is one conclusion:

If I were to purchase a new 2010 Mercury Grand Marquis and I wanted to be able to load it up with people, gear, and tow a boat, I would add a tranny cooler, break it in with RP break in oil, and run RP 5W-20 with 5K OCI.

And I would not think of using M1 in it.

JimPghPa

We here at BITOG are always going to need a "punching bag oil". I think in many repsects RP has earned its bad reputation here. False advertising and issues with shearing just to name a few. There are still many variables to consider here. As the OP mentioned, he is unsure of the other mustang owners attention to maintenance and if it was run low on oil.

It would be funny to see more interest in RP here. It happened with Redline. People were so caught up in UOA's being the gospel....blah blah.. But Redline is a much more popular oil in the raing communities and for good reason. I believe it to be superior to RP after using it for many years in various apps and seeing others in the camaro circles try RP with unfavorable results. To each his own. For this application and OCI RP seems to be doing very well. There are many good oils. Nothing better than tear downs to evaluate what is working even if it is brought about for different reasons than oil selection.

OP- Are you planning on pulling out your micrometer and recording some actual data. Pics look good, dont get me wrong, but the proof is in the measurements. I like this stuff!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ADFD1
But the truth is RP typically is a punching bag on this board. JMO, and nothing more.

And why is that? I rank the Royal Purple right up there with other top Synthetics like Amsoil, Redline and Motul.
I do not understand why it's so hated.. Maybe the Color? For some it's the Bad Marketing claims, for others it's the couple of UOA. It's like with me, I know Amsoil is a good product, I do not like the MLM scheme. If the product is so good, allow it to be sold at autoparts stores. JMO ...

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79

OP- Are you planning on pulling out your micrometer and recording some actual data. Pics look good, dont get me wrong, but the proof is in the measurements. I like this stuff!

I am planning on it. I want to document it correctly with pictures of each mesurement. Coming soon....
I also ordered the kit from blackstone for the UOA, that should also show some more info. I will have my friend do one too. BTW he still Loves M1.. he says the wear is minimal for him to worry about...

Last edited:
Cool. Looking forward to it! This makes me want to remove the valve cover from my tacoma with 74K and show off my shiny cams! Nah im too lazy and have other cars to work on.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
I still think in the picture shown here M1 dropped the ball.

Themthars fighting words!!

Gettem, Tig! Tig??
lol.gif

Quote:
But the truth is RP typically is a punching bag on this board.

Amsoil ..M1 .. you name it. Slammed mercilessly. Heck, it's not just motor oils either.
grin2.gif

I'll wait to see the micrometer readings. Even that will not vilify or vindicate/fortify anything. Pull out a cam from a taxi with 250k and see what that shows and you'll probably have more of a good bearing on what THAT cam saw then what we know of the M1 cam in the images.

I have nothing against RP, I made a comment, that it's a punching bag here. I don't use it, and I'm not a fan of it. I'd be interested in seeing the measurements as well. Truth is if there were only 2 oils to choose from, RP and M1, for that application, and pictures were the only thing to go by, the M1 would be sitting in the store collecting dust.

RIGHT NOW, RP is the punching bag. Not long ago it was Castrol. Tomorrow, who knows.

We get a lot of opinion here and what I've learned is that you don't get between a man and his oil... whatever brand. The vitriol that sometimes comes is hard to understand, but observing it has made me much less brand conscious. Maybe that's the hidden purpose of forums like this. Glad to see this thread got back on track after some rough water.

Obligatory Topical Content: I've been running RP for tests in a Ford 5.4L 3V modular, with one good UOA so far. I have about 9K on 5W20 so far (one 7.5K, 18 month run and the next will likely be 2 years and 8-9K) and have enough oil for at least one more change, which will take the truck out to about 26K, or so. Hopefully I won't have to tear the engine down to make any points in this argument! Those cam pics are very telling, though somewhat anecdotal being only a single instance.

RP is a punching bag, I've never used it, but might consider it. They say a picture is worth 1000 words, RP did better than Mobil 1 in the photos, enough said. If I was asked to make a prediction of what oil is going to be The Bitog Pin Up Oil Darling For 2010, my guess would be Castrol Edge. Lousy marketing and all. JMO. I'm anxious to see measurements too.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
RP is a punching bag, I've never used it, but might consider it. They say a picture is worth 1000 words, RP did better than Mobil 1 in the photos, enough said. If I was asked to make a prediction of what oil is going to be The Bitog Pin Up Oil Darling For 2010, my guess would be Castrol Edge. Lousy marketing and all. JMO. I'm anxious to see measurements too.

I don't about the lousy Marketing, I kinda like the Scotish guy wipping people with a dip stick....
Funny...

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
RP did better than Mobil 1 in the photos, enough said.

I can't help but feel like if you looked at a pic of a guy with a black eye, and heard he had steak for lunch, you'd say "the steak gave him a black eye in the photos, enough said..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back