Maxlife ATF in 08 Hyundai Sonata 4 cyl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to share a good experience with an ATF fluid exchange. I just got the car with 22K miles and wanted to swap out all of the mystery fluids. When it came to the trans I found a local Monro muffler/brake shop that does exchanges with Valvoline Maxlife synthetic. $130 for a complete fluid exchange. Done in 45 minutes.

It was shifting fine before but it seems smoother now. Maybe a placebo effect. Seems like a great alternative to the OEM SPIII fluid at $7/qt plus dealership labor.

BTW - the tech was concerned that the old fluid was "brown and nasty" but I think I read here on BITOG that Hyundai/Kia SPIII fluid doesn't hold its red coloring.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Be sure to let us know down the road how it holds up. Just coming out of the shop doesn't mean a thing.

Will do.

Good work. I've got Maxlife in my 2008 Santa Fe's AT (F4A51-3)as well. It works perfectly. It cost me ~$50 worth of Maxlife to do two 5qt drain & fill cycles. We've got lots of choices now for "Suitible for use where Hyundai SP-III is spec'd" ATFs. Life is good!

Joel

I'm still skeptical in regards to "suitable for use" in something as expensive as an automatic transmission. Sorta like taking meds that would be "sutiable in place of the prescribed meds".

But on the same thought, would a reputable company like Valvoline put out an inferior product.

For what it costs for a tranny, I'll stick to the SPIII.

Difference in cost doing a drain and fill in my KIA is only $7.50 using SPIII instead of Maxlife.

I'm still skeptical in regards to "suitable for use" in something as expensive as an automatic transmission. Sorta like taking meds that would be "sutiable in place of the prescribed meds".

But on the same thought, would a reputable company like Valvoline put out an inferior product.

For what it costs for a tranny, I'll stick to the SPIII.

Difference in cost doing a drain and fill in my KIA is only $7.50 using SPIII instead of Maxlife.

I thought about that too. I don't have the nerve to do my own drain and fill yet.

#8 in this FAQ made me comfortable with Maxlife for this application.

http://www.valvoline.com/faqs/system-fluids/automatic-transmission-fluid/94

I've only got 5yr/60Kmi P-train warrany remaining on my 2008 Santa Fe. Bought it used with 40Kmi. Now it's got ~44Kmi. Subsequent owners don't get the 10yr/100K P-train coverage. The only warranty issue I could possibly have problems with would be on a transmission failure directly related to the ATF being used. In years of following this, I've never seen a "suitable for use" SP-III alternative cause an issue. Not once. I don't have a problem w/ genuine Hyundai SP-III, I just have a problem w/ paying ~$8/qt for a product that looks like poop after ~20Kmi of use (I realize looks aren't everything).

Joel

No, warranty is not tanked. But, neanderthal dealer network will require a fight.

Valvoline Maxlife is an excellent ATF.

I've seen plenty of transmissions last longer on non-OE fill.

SPIII is pretty lame. UOAs and the high transmission failure rate that I've seen on it are pretty pathetic.

BTW, the warranty small print that I've glanced over in my Kia all but makes the 'good stuff' in the warranty NOT transferable to the new owner if I were to sell the car. The 10/100k is for the original owner only. Not sure if Hyundai is the same, but I would think so since they're the same company.

If were so brainwashed into sticking with SPIII, you would be smart to install a filter, practice more frequent change intervals, and monitor the temp. If the ATF is ever too hot, definitely upgrade the cooling which is usually lame and lacking.

Go over on the Hyundai and KIA forums and read about those that switched fluid to other than SPIII. Then try to convince the dealer/mfg. as to why you switched from an $8.00 fluid to a $4.00 fluid to save your tranny. We use engine oil that cost $5.00 plus when we could go to Dollar General an buy $2.00 a qt. motor oil.

Somewhere I'm missing some kind of logic. But then save money whereever you wish. Your vehicle not mine!

Please provide some proof that Maxlife ATF when used in place of SP III has caused any lubricant related failures! I find it hard to rationalize that just because a product is overpriced, it is somehow superior??? I would like to see the price of SP III before KIA marked it up.

Maxlife is a very good synthetic ATF. If it didn't work well, fair enough. But that's just not the case. Why is the "only OEM" paranoia still alive and well!? Not a personal attack, just needing some justification why the OP should stick to SP III or else.

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
Please provide some proof that Maxlife ATF when used in place of SP III has caused any lubricant related failures! I find it hard to rationalize that just because a product is overpriced, it is somehow superior??? I would like to see the price of SP III before KIA marked it up.

Maxlife is a very good synthetic ATF. If it didn't work well, fair enough. But that's just not the case. Why is the "only OEM" paranoia still alive and well!? Not a personal attack, just needing some justification why the OP should stick to SP III or else.

Read my previous post and do some research regarding warrenties with the dealers and the mfg.

Granted Maxlife is a very good product, the problem lies with convincing the warrenty dept of that. Maybe you can get Valvoline to give you the replacement warrenty. Good Luck with that.

Why is the OEM paranoia still alive and well?

It has to do with warrenty, if you do not use their recommended fluids no warrenty, don't believe me, search it out, not very hard to do. Its getting late and I'm not wasting my time searching up for some one else.

21.gif
I have plenty of knowledge regarding "warrenties" with dealers and the Mfg. You mentioned people having issues on KIA message boards. Where is proof of this? With Maxlife ATF and more than just one case would satisfy my request.

Im sure the dealer will send out a sample for analysis!
lol.gif
I have gone through two transmissions in an acura TL with known "design" issues. First time was running Z1 and second time around Redline ATF. Guess what, replaced no questions asked.

Last edited:
Go over on the Hyundai and KIA forums and read about those that switched fluid to other than SPIII...

I have and I participate in such forums. I just haven't come across any issues where Maxlife, Amsoil, Castrol import universal, Amalie, etc.. (all suitible for SP-III) were used.

Joel

Go to the forums and look it up, use the search, are you helpless?

There's a little difference between an Acura and the low end KIA's and Hyundia, not saying the're a bod car but they are not in the same class as an Acura, at least not in my book they aren't.

Nope they sure aren't, did a quick search for a used KIA on A/T and avg. cost was $4000 for 04 to 05, did the same with Acura, avg cost was $17000, same years and distance. If you're going to compare something, go apples to apples, not apples to oranges.

In the end do whatever you wish, it your vehicle, pour in dish soap if you wish!

Bet that would kill the warrenty.

You made the statement so I presume you would like to show me you are correct. Don't make this personal dude! See how far name calling get's you here.

I was not making a comparison between Acura and KIA. I was relating a warranty experience that I had while utilizing both OEM and aftermarket ATF that happened to be in an Acura. The second failure utilizing a non OEM fluid was not looked at twice. They checked the fluid level and said we will take care of it. So much for a voided warranty.

Last edited:
Just whome did I call a name?

Youcan look it up, "I guess"?

Does KIA send out a sample for analysis, yup, that they do.

Like I stated, theres a big difference between a low end "price wise" mfg. and their warrenty and a Higher end mfg. Just the way it works in this world, sorry!

It's 1:30 here, I'm gone!!!!

Last edited:
help·less (hlpls)
adj.
1. Unable to help oneself; powerless or incompetent

Helpless is what you called me, NO??? This is clearly an insult aimed at me and I don't appreciate disrespect, PERIOD! I have done nothing but asked you to show proof of your claims, that KIA folks have had all of these issues with non- OEM atf.

Well, I feel that, after doing my due diligence, Maxlife is an upgrade for my car. Hyundai's service schedule specifies transmission fluid change at 95K miles. As second owner my balance of the power train warranty is 60K miles. A failure before 60K miles with no maintenance whatsoever would be covered. In the event of an under-warranty transmission failure I am confident I will have no problem with getting Hyundai warranty service when using Valvoline's recommended product from an authorized service center.

The only ATF issues that I've seen on the Kia/Hyundai forums break down to these two: Using a non-HFM fluid like DexronII/III/Mercon. And, waiting for the transmission to have issues on the OE fill prior to starting maintenance. Guess what, if the tranny is failing, changing the fluid won't rebuild it.

Yes, the OE-paranoid crowd's dementia is alive and well.

The thread starter doesn't have a warranty to worry about. Most of it was non-transferable. He's needs to fend for himself. Preventive maintenance with Maxlife is a great choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back