Royal Purple Oil Experience - 2005 Mustang GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, I sure do like the way your Mustang looks! I've been tempted to try a 2010 but haven't done it yet. I heard a rumor that they may bring back the 5.0 liter next year...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2k05gt

I just wonder if I would have done any better with Redline or Amsoil. They are supposed to be better.
What made me concerned was reading the Amsoil sellers Site that said RP clogged up the engine with it's Moly additive.

Thats why I started to investigate and found myself here.

I would say look at the source of that info, someone trying to sell people a different product. I think you should keep using the RP that you have been.

Thanks for posting those pics also, they are interesting to look at.

I just wonder if I would have done any better with Redline or Amsoil. They are supposed to be better.
What made me concerned was reading the Amsoil sellers Site that said RP clogged up the engine with it's Moly additive.

I can't imagine another oil doing much better than that, they look like unused cams. I would wager RL and some of Amsoil's oils (like series 3000 5W-30 or ACD) would have done every bit as well as RP though.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

Thanks for the pics, pretty significant difference there. But even with M1 the cams would probably outlast the rest of the engine.

Still, the less wear the better in my book. I wonder if there is any corollary wear to go along with the cams? Is it a M1 problem or an SM/GF-4 problem? I'm leaning towards the latter.

Yeah, not that Royal Purple didn't look good but isn't this comparing a race oil to Mobil 1 SM/GF4 when to be fair a Mobil 1 race oil should be compared. To be honest while the RP cam looks shinier, you really can't tell from the pics which cam actually has more wear. No offense to the OP but we are really relying on blind faith here. We really don't know for a fact how the other guy drove his car when cold or hot for that matter, which cam actually have the most metal worn away, if he really changed his oil with Mobil 1 at that interval etc. Even taken at face value, all we could really conclude is RP seems better than a SM/GF4 oil.

How about filtration? How much could that contribute to the differences we are seeing in the pics?

Seeing that Redline is a POE and engines run on POE typically are VERY clean and sometimes have a mirror finish, results could be the same or better with RL. There is no question RL is used in more in the racing circles and delivers. I have torn down several LTX motors in my camaro using RL and the surfaces are fairly shiny and new looking.

The proof lies with the micrometer. I will admit they do look very good, but you need to mic them and compare with new specs. Not sure how much the extreme pressure additives have to do with this "mirror finish" appearance. From what I have heard, they have little to no effect in an engine. FWIW

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: glxpassat
I heard a rumor that they may bring back the 5.0 liter next year...

Yeah, the displacement.

But I'll take the RP cams, Pat!

Man, I sure do like the way your Mustang looks! I've been tempted to try a 2010 but haven't done it yet. I heard a rumor that they may bring back the 5.0 liter next year...

Yup, The 5.0L (302) is coming back.. 400hp / 400tq

Here is a picture with the 5.0L 2011 Mustang GT
50l-tivct-engine-1.jpg

50l-tivct-engine-2.jpg

What I've learned from this thread:

Skepticism is hard. Accepting the first conclusion that comes to your mind is so much easier.

50l-tivct-engine-1.jpg

50l-tivct-engine-2.jpg

too bad it is still that modular garbage...they need to make it a new-gen 5.0L pushrod motor!

Originally Posted By: FastSUV

50l-tivct-engine-1.jpg

50l-tivct-engine-2.jpg

too bad it is still that modular garbage...they need to make it a new-gen 5.0L pushrod motor!

There was never a 400HP stock 302. This engine makes 165HP more than the most potent version of the old 5.0L.

The Modular block is several TIMES stronger than the old Windsor block. The heads flow much better, and there are no pushrod holes in the way to impede runner shape. The only problem is the SIZE.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx

Thanks for the pics, pretty significant difference there. But even with M1 the cams would probably outlast the rest of the engine.

Still, the less wear the better in my book. I wonder if there is any corollary wear to go along with the cams? Is it a M1 problem or an SM/GF-4 problem? I'm leaning towards the latter.

Yeah, not that Royal Purple didn't look good but isn't this comparing a race oil to Mobil 1 SM/GF4 when to be fair a Mobil 1 race oil should be compared. To be honest while the RP cam looks shinier, you really can't tell from the pics which cam actually has more wear. No offense to the OP but we are really relying on blind faith here. We really don't know for a fact how the other guy drove his car when cold or hot for that matter, which cam actually have the most metal worn away, if he really changed his oil with Mobil 1 at that interval etc. Even taken at face value, all we could really conclude is RP seems better than a SM/GF4 oil.

No offense taken, you don't know me from adam, for all you know I could be a RP Sales rep..
I am not, (I am a Network Security Engineer for the U.S. Army) hooah. All I am trying to do is share my experience
with Royal Purple Oil. (Not the Race Oil) but the regular oil from Walmart. I do not sell or profit from RP, and I Use Mobil 1 in all my other vehicles. (2004 Chrysler 300M & Chevy Silverado Z-71 4x4) I am not a Ford Blue blood, This is my First Ford Car, I am actually a GM Fan who Loves the S197 Mustang.

I will Mic the cams as soon as I get the tool. I just got a call from Marc, His Alternator Died coming back from MIR (Maryland International Raceway)

Originally Posted By: FastSUV

50l-tivct-engine-1.jpg

50l-tivct-engine-2.jpg

from a Racers View your Right, a Push rod motor would make way more power with cams and other engine mods and it's cheaper. The OHC Engine is so expensive to Mod it's crazy. But From Fords View, the OHC Engine is the future and Pushrods are Old School, Yesterday... Been there Done That..
I fine is interesting that the 5.0L is making the same power as the 6.2L Chevy L99 and the the LS3 is 25 more than the 5.0L that shows the real reason to go with the OHC design more power from less.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
What I've learned from this thread:

Skepticism is hard. Accepting the first conclusion that comes to your mind is so much easier.

And What Conclusion have you come to?

You can be skeptical, I am just a Network engineer trying the best to have fun with my Hobby,
it gets me away from "[censored] Computers"

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
Wow looks like M1 dropped the ball, big time.

I don't think they dropped the ball, I have to agree with a couple of comments that we don't know if the cams show Wear or just coloration. the color looks like heat but we do not know that.
More Info is needed. from the outside; it looks like M1 has some failings, but more info needed.

The Only Conclusion I would take away from this is that RP is a good oil for my application.

Last edited:
from a Racers View your Right, a Push rod motor would make way more power with cams and other engine mods and it's cheaper.

Do you honestly think a 5.0L pushrod would outperform a 5.0 4V, given that they are equally modded?

from a Racers View your Right, a Push rod motor would make way more power with cams and other engine mods and it's cheaper.

Do you honestly think a 5.0L pushrod would outperform a 5.0 4V, given that they are equally modded?

It sure as [censored] won't on a stock block
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
Not sure how much the extreme pressure additives have to do with this "mirror finish" appearance. From what I have heard, they have little to no effect in an engine. FWIW

It looks like M1 allowed some [minor] wear to occur on the cam journal surfaces and where the RFFs contact the cam lobes. It doesn't look like RP polished the cams, just kept them looking like they did when new.

I still doubt that any SM/GF-4 oil would have done notably better then M1 here.

Oh not at all.. I ment is that It's cheaper to slap a high lift cam, new intake and Headers and get serious power N/A. With the DOHC Engine I need to buy 4 Cams not one so my cost went way up right there. The 3 Valve uses VCT, so a high lift cam is out of the question unless you Lock out the phaser gear and add new Springs, Not an easy task.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back