Pre lubed o-ring??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcy

Bought a Toyota filter today - 90915-YZZD1, Made in THailand, filter has Denso on it.

The o-ring was pre-lubed with some sort of grease. First time I've ever had a filter with this. The answer appears obvious, but I'm guessing I don't have to put any oil on the o-ring??

I notice a lot of filters with a light white what appears to be grease on them. Whether this is designed that way and intended as a lube for the o ring or whether that is a by product of the manufacturing process, I dont know.

But I still put fresh oil on them whether I see that white grease or not....seems like simple cheap insurance to me.

the thing I like with denso aftermarket filters is the grease and plastic coating - you can be pretty sure the filter is clean and dry inside.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
the thing I like with denso aftermarket filters is the grease and plastic coating - you can be pretty sure the filter is clean and dry inside.

Right, forgot to mention the cellophane wrapper over the open end. I figure it's purpose is to keep the grease on the o-ring from sticking to the cardboard of the box (since the filter is in the box with the open end down). I guess it also keeps [censored] out of the inside of the filter.

Originally Posted By: rcy
Bought a Toyota filter today - 90915-YZZD1, Made in THailand, filter has Denso on it.

The o-ring was pre-lubed with some sort of grease. First time I've ever had a filter with this. The answer appears obvious, but I'm guessing I don't have to put any oil on the o-ring??

I use OEM Toyota (Denso) filters on my Tacoma. Just spread the grease evenly over the O-ring and install the filter. No need to lube it with oil ... the grease is the lube.

+2 I used them for a few years when I worked at a Toyota Dealership. Never added oil to them, and they worked fine.

Originally Posted By: rcy
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Right, forgot to mention the cellophane wrapper over the open end. I figure it's purpose is to keep the grease on the o-ring from sticking to the cardboard of the box (since the filter is in the box with the open end down). I guess it also keeps [censored] out of the inside of the filter.

Yes..very nice. Here is a PIC of a Japanese Toyota Filter (Denso?)in my possession. I'm going to use it next. Note the unique filter inside...can't get these in the US (Thailand made for here).

004-2.jpg

001-1.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ronn
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
How about sending one to river_rat so he can run his filter test on it?

Easier said than done...take a look..(not counting tax and shipping).

Order Japanese Toyota Filter

The Donaldson I sent him cost me $18.00.

It is in the name of science!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back